One thing I really want in a new Mac OS X version is...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TSE, Aug 24, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

... more customizable UI features. I want to decide how translucent my menu bars are, I want to have the windows translucent, I want to change the color tint of the whole UI, I want to the UI more customizable similar to the way Windows does it with Aero/Custom UI Packages you can download.

Do I have false hope?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, probably. I don't think Apple has any desire to emulate Aero or Compiz in this regard. They see their job as telling you what is stylish, not the other way around. ;)

But I'm sure things like CandyBar and other suites for tweaking OS X's appearance will continue to be around in 10.6, and you'll continue to be able to do more or less whatever you want using them....

3. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I wish they'd put back in the old appearance options from Mac OS 9. It was really cool to change various UI elements to Tangerine, Lime, Bondi, Strawberry, etc. It used to change the scrollbars, buttons/checkboxes, folders, and I think the hue of the titlebars too, if I'm not mistaken.

Apple could put the colors in the appearance menu. There's certainly enough room. :)

Attached Files:

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

10.6 is a radical overhaul of the underlying technologies.
    10.7 will be user interface most likely.

Although of course you will need to buy a new computer to run them ;)

5. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

That is one thing Vista has over Mac OS X... UI Customization...

One can always dream. :D

6. iMacmatician macrumors 601

And I also want, say, the windows to be of a different color from scrollbars and other small elements, and from things like buttons.

7. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

this is a pretty simple answer for me. powerpc support. and not just powerpc support, but allow the powerpc to delegate tasks to the gpu or vice-versa. is that too much to ask for? or, is this just not possible with "older" hardware?

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Slightly optimistic, but not unreasonable. I don't really expect much more customization, but Apple has surprised us before.

I don't expect anyone who didn't have to buy a new computer to run 10.6 to have to buy a new one to run 10.7 if that is indeed the format they follow.

jW

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

A new female voice of Alex-quality. Vicky is showing her age...

10. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i think apple needs to stay away from making the os x ui more customizable. it begins to look cheap after a short while.

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I meant the OP will have to buy a new computer to run them. Pretty much any Intel Mac with a RAM upgrade should run 10.7. Hell a 2002 iMac runs Leopard nicely.

12. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

The one thing I liked about Vista when I used my buddies laptop a few weeks ago, is the fading in and fading out of windows.

In OSX, it just kinda...appears. Sure I can have the genie effect, but it's just not the same.

:apple:

13. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I think the Finder needs tighter integration with Dashboard. A widget should just "be" there, not waiting to be launched when the user hits the Dashboard icon. Something like Conjure would be way, way cool.

I'd really like the Dock to either go away or completely take over the bottom strip of the screen (the number of pixels specified by the user, natch!). The current config means windows can get behind it, which in turn means buttons and text can be obscured by Dock icons. Real pain. This is one thing that I think Windows does better than OS X.

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yeah, I kinda agree, it's a cool effect but the bad thing about Vista in that respect is the translucent windows and fading in and out is a theme rather than part of the system which is why you can simply turn it off. It's cool at first but it's a bit gimmicky and it's heavy on system resources. Just like the magnifying Dock, it's too gimmicky so I turned it off although it doesn't use any system resources.

I agree with you, I thought Leopard would have a Dock all the way across the bottom screen but oh well. I think a lot of people would be very upset if Apple took away the DNA of Mac OS X and that's the Dock (outside of the Finder). Several Windows users try to add fake Docks to their XP and Vista desktops, the Dock is pretty popular.

15. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Um, can't you just turn hiding on? I don't have Leopard, but I know in Tiger, Panther, and Jaguar you could...

You can also make it smaller in those versions by clicking on the barrier between apps and folders/condensed windows and dragging up or down.

16. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

I've thought about getting rid of the Dock altogether as well. My plan was to use Quicksilver as a program launcher and just switch apps with command/tab.

But Dashboard depends on Dock, so...

17. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I did that for a while.

Took everything out of my dock and hid it.

I got bored of it however. So I have my most used apps in the dock and quicksilver for everything else.

18. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

More consistency in the interface - look at iTunes has a different scroll bar than the stock standard (for example).

ZFS boot, or even just an improved HFS+ would do the trick.

Better graphics drivers.

Thats about it. Apart from that, I'm happy with 10.5.x so far.

19. tuftywhite macrumors member

I agree. Some minor customisation may be quite nice, but if you allow loads of customisation then it will start to look messy and cheap. Also, depending on the level of customisation allowed, may make support difficult.

One of the things I like about OSX is that when friends and family ask me how to do stuff over the phone, I know their Mac set up is much the same as mine.

For the really techy guys, I'm guessing they can customise their view on the world anyway.

20. frazzlesnazzle macrumors newbie

totally agree here. I see so many windows machines that are customized way too much. To me, the standardization of osx makes it appear more professional.

21. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

powerpc support for what?

22. wightstraker macrumors regular

1.) ZFS native.

2.) Bring back the 10.4 firewall preference pane.

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

We're not likely to see Apple making changes just for powerpc - they don't sell the hardware anymore, so there's no particular reason to do so. They want to sell new systems.

24. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I'd like to see Get Info and the File Inspector integrated into a single window.

I'd like to see a Norton Commanderesque folder view, where a window could be divided between the file lists of two or more folders.

I'd like a backup system that requires less hassle than Time Machine. Select a file, hit "Backup" and your computer creates and archives and emails the file to a Yahoo or Gmail account.

25. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

if they can do it, they should. i don't exactly know the boost it would give my 1ghz 12" powerbook w/ 32mb nvidia go5200fx (if i am correct). but, if it does so, i would migrate my powerbook from tiger to leopard for one (cha-ching!) and so will the rest of my powerpc brethrens (cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching!!!).

sounds pretty practical to me.