One thing I really wish Apple would put into the phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Jul 29, 2008.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

PRIVACY FOR SMS MESSAGES!!!

Its so annoying to let ANYONE play with my phone due to untimely popups with personal text messages from a lady. I dont understand why they never implemented a block for this popup! It seems pretty simple since there are several jailbreak programs out there that can do this.

Its also annoying to be watching a movie and have a popup come on right in the middle of it. Just make a sound or vibrate!!!

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I concur, this has bitten my friends and I many times, just this weekend we were planning a surprise birthday party and someone texted my friend who was organizing it about it only to have the text popup while the iPhone was in plain sight of who the party was planned for! Very annoying!

I understand the only way to disable it is to set a pass code to unlock your phone and that is just overkill for me and would be a real pain to enter it every time!

3. steve5424 macrumors member

I know that really annoys me too. I looked for ages yesterday in the hope that there was a setting to turn off the pop up!

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

You can turn off the message display. It will still show who the message is from but it wont show the actual message till you unlock your iphone and go to your SMS icon.

5. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

How? It has me stumped...

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

There is a way to do it...

Under passcode lock you can disable SMS Preview...

Attached Files:

7. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I just wish that setting was outside of the pass code option...

8. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

That wont help me at all. If my phones locked, I have it. If its unlocked, someone else could be playing with it. I think its rather retarded that they have it as a popup and you cant turn it off!!!

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Edit. It doesn't hide the sms once unlocked. I just tried it.

10. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

See above ^^^^

11. thaevster macrumors newbie

txting

Agreed I think it's pretty annoying b/c I always have to watch and make sure something doesn't come through that I don't want whoever is playing w/ it to see :rolleyes:

Also...I wish there was some kind of remind beep or vibrate or something. My old regular cell phones all had this and I think it's a pretty basic cell phone feature. Without it, if you get a message and aren't near your phone, the only way you would know about it is if you turn the phone on. Not a HUGE deal I know, but...wouldn't it be nice???

12. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

I saw above, and it still didnt have anything to do with an answer to my question. If the phone is unlocked, it doesnt filter out the message.. it still pops a message up. Ive used that SMS display option for a long time. Unless you plan on keeping your phone at your side and not letting ANYONE touch it, the privacy is weak.

Nothing like letting your friend play a game on your phone only to have a message pop up from your girlfriend you really didnt want him to see.

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I wouldn't call it annoying but I have been caught with some lies due to it

:eek: