One thing I think Apple is missing out on here (Photoshopers Requested)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by darnovo, Jun 11, 2013.

1. darnovo macrumors regular

So the New Mac Pro has a very interesting shape and design, and a lot of people are complaining about the size and expandability. The shape is perfect for what I am about to propose. Make the towers stackable and inter lockable; basically a Mac Pro Raid. You buy two machines and the bottom of machine 2 locks into the top of machine one and now the tower is twice the size and twice the power. They systems will be smart enough to recognize one another an automatically share resources and drives etc... This also opens up the door for additional interlocking tower structures, for instance a tower with nothing but pure storage. This way you don't have to have a Thunderbolt raid, you just buy a Mac Pro sphere tower that had 10TB of drives and lock it to the top and the system will automatically power it. See where I'm going with this? I think it's genius and it should def be thought about.

Anybody wanna make some mockups of what this could look like or do? I would but I'm on an Air without Photoshop and I'm not as Pro as others ;)

2. Bear macrumors G3

A few issues with what you suggest.

First, if you make it more than a certain height it becomes very easy to knock over.

And secondly you don't want the power supply in the Mac Pro to be sized to power additional units the same size. This leads to a larger power supply and more heat being generated.

And lastly, the unit at the top of the stack would have all the heat from the bottom unit(s) passing through it, making it easy to get overheated.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is external storage in the same form factor and assorted tray options that keep the units in place in a grid with some cable guides on the tray. If you want to, you could think of it like a bunch of drink coasters with a depression for the unit, and the coasters attach to each other.