One thing I will never understand in phone reviews....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Roofy., Aug 25, 2010.

1. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

How the WEIGHT of a phone could possibly mean ANYTHING in a review. I seriously don't understand it. I'll be reading reviews, watching videos, looking at stats (like the pic above) and people will say things like " the iphone weighs more so I have to go with X phone." I mean look at that chart. The other phones win beause of 2 grams. lol thats the weight of 2 paper clips, why bother putting that in the review?

WHO CARES?!! It's a PHONE. Are people seriously that weak that they cant hold a silly phone in their hand because it weighs too much? Its not like its a solid piece of metal where it weighs 2 pounds. Weight should never matter in reviews, its ridiculous.

Besides, I'm the opposite. I'd rather have a heavier phone. I dont want it to be light as a feather, then it feels cheap.

inb4 cool story bro.

2. The LPT macrumors regular

probably because the reviewers prefer lighter phones. The same way you prefer heavier phones.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Some phones for the size feel to heavy, or too light. By providing all of the pertinent specifications the people who do these things ensure a complete coverage.

I'm sure there are people who care about how heavy/light a phone is. For instance I own a droid x which is one of the larger phones and many reviewers have noted how light it feels. Given the size of the phone people would think that the phone would be heavier then what it really is.

4. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

You made a thread to rant about how ridiculous it is to have an opinion on the weight of a phone but still didn't forget to add yours to the very same thread.

5. Aucun Express macrumors regular

Because there are crazy people like me who are disappointed because the iPhone 4G's weight is like 2 grams more.
    I still think that the iPhone 4 is too heavy.

6. Honda macrumors member

I don't care about the weight, but I love the feeling when you hold the iPhone 4.

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

The people who care about the .05 gram difference are the same ones on these forums who complain the edges of the iPhone 4 are to sharp. I mean seriously... People will always need to complain about something.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, you just said you prefer a heavier phone, so wouldn't it be helpfull for you if the review pointed out if the phone was heavy or light? That way you know if he says it's light to not check it out and to only see ones that are heavy.

Or are you only ranting because it's about the iPhone and you find it negative that they said it was too heavy?

9. Roofy. thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol wow... yea. Pretty contradictory of me.

Basically it doesnt matter to me. But if I had to choose it would be a heavier phone. My point was that something so light and insignificant in weight shouldn't matter in a phone review. Overall I really couldnt care less.

10. TrumpetGuy macrumors newbie

Nevermind the weight, what about the sim card? Why would you choose one phone over another based on what sim card it uses?

And why is the Evo marked green for having the biggest screen, but the iPhone iPhone green for having the smallest dimensions?

Whoever made this chart obviously wasn't thinking.

11. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Then open it up and take the battery out. Just use it when it's connected to the wall.

12. applekiwipeach macrumors member

it'd be ridiculous if weight was the only factor, but it's not. chill.

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

Weight could make a difference, especially for someone who needs to hold the phone for hours straight. It is good to have a comparison.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Personally never knew why they bothered with the weight of the phone either. I mean, are you REALLY going to get a phone bcuz it's 20 grams lighter? No. You're going to get what you want to get even if it is 20 grams heavier. I'm guessing that weight is one of the standard specs to show along with dimensions. Either way, don't think it matters unless you're really anal or something.