One thing I wish the iPhone had...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Antidoll, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Antidoll macrumors regular

With Blackberry.. whenever you get a miss call/text message/email... whatever notification, there is a constant red blinker that lets you know that you received something new (in case you were away from your phone for a while so you can check it)

do you know if that's possible with the iPhone?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

No! There's an accessibility option, that uses the flash on the back of the phone, but that's it. No pretty colors and etc.

3. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

You can set up messages to remind you with a follow-up buzz if you don't pick up the text message initially, but without a physical LED built into the phone, obviously the missed call indicator isn't possible.

With iOS 5 and the notifications, you can have whatever you want (missed calls, emails, messages, etc) show up on the lock screen and tap the home button to see what you may have missed while you were away.

Or don't be away from your phone ever... :cool:

4. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

You can use the flash to blink for notifications. IMO it's not the greatest looking solution, but works if you really need it.

I would still prefer they include an LED notifier in the next iPhone.

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Yes, but it only blinks when you get the alert, it doesn't remain blinking while the notification is waiting for you like BB does. It's also an obnoxious, blinding triple flash, not a passive blink

6. al0513 macrumors 6502

So ... if it continues to blink for .... 4 hours.... your phone would be dead by then. Now you cant even check your msg without charging it.

7. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

How about a flashing LED light under the home button or something? The square on the home button lighting up of flashing would be awesome! :D

I'm pretty sure we'll get a proper notification light in the next iPhone but as for now the flash will have to do. :(

8. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

And that Flash works really well, the other night I had the phone on vibrate while I was sleeping, received a call from work, and the Flash was so bright it lit up our entire bedroom, so it woke me up, however the negative is if you place the phone down on it's back you might not see it, so I leave the phone face down so the I will see the flash.

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You want it like a Blackberry? Just shut down your email and messaging for about 3 days every so often. Exactly the same :)

10. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

1. A LED notification light blinking all night would not use up the battery in anyway to make a difference in battery consumption. Blackberry's and other phones have this feature with no adverse affects to battery life or usage.

2. If there is an "OPTION" to turn on / off this notification light, both people that want and not want this feature would be happy.

3. There is a thread about someone who mentioned having the home button blink for notification which I think it s brilliant idea.

11. Colin Len macrumors newbie

I have to say this is one thing that bugs me about switching from Android - well, actually not all Android phones have that option, my Droid did. It was a REALLY nice feature. You could select a different color LED for different messages. Green meant I had an email and Blue meant I had a txt message. Battery life was not an issue at all, it's a tiny LED and takes up very little power. I wouldn't be surprised if constantly turning the whole screen on to check for messages (what I have to do now even when the phone is 2' from me because the vibrate setting is SO weak) actually uses more power than having that LED lit.

12. al0513 macrumors 6502

You know one thing the iPhone is missing??

a hand that will reach out and slap you when you recieve a text message!

13. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

The LED light flashing on a phone has virtually no impact on battery usage...
    I'm not sure if people here understand what LED light is...

14. tmagman macrumors 6502

Blackberry only blinks for like 20 minutes and then it quits blinking if you haven't opened up your phone. If you haven't looked at your phone in 20 minutes then it probably isn't life threatening that you don't know you have a notification.

Definitely agree a glowing home button would be great for this sort of thing though!

15. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Or spank you depending on the topic of the message.

16. juswest macrumors regular

The response of a prick

17. al0513 macrumors 6502

I wish I could "Like" this haha

18. Pravius macrumors regular

I also agree this would be an amazing feature. +1

19. al0513 macrumors 6502

Not THAT true.

We have blackouts here once in a while. They usually last 2-3 hours tops.

I always used my iphone 4 LED as a flashlight and after an hour of casual use... not on ALL the time, my battery would drain 30% easily.

20. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

We had these discussions back in 2007... over four years ago.

If Apple has not added it I would say they won't.

I had LED notifications on my previous smartphone when I first switched to the iPhone--in 2007. But it ended up not being much of an issue as I soon had the iPhone with me pretty much always.

That said I would still like it--especially being able to set specific colors to the LED so you know if it is that call or message you CANNOT ignore.

Michael

21. juswest macrumors regular

Sounds like there's a big misunderstanding here

22. AAPLaday, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  23. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Camera flash LED on our iphone is not the same as the LED indicator lights...
    Both do not emit the same amount of light...

24. Colin Len macrumors newbie

Yup, HUGE difference in light emitted and in turn energy used. With my Droid the green or blue notification LED could be lit all day with no noticeable drain on battery life. It only shines like a little colored dot on your phone, not a colored flashlight that you could actually use to see in the dark.

25. Digidesign macrumors 6502

I'm torn on this. I owned a BB curve and the blinking red light was a large part of what made it "crackberry" addictive. Both exciting and stressful.

I love the sleep/power light on Apple's laptops, how the glow "pulses" during sleep. Battery drain issues aside, I think a notification light like that on the iPhone would be a great way to keep you informed without the stress.