One Thing I'd Like to See Apple Add.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob616, Jan 8, 2011.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

So I was at BestBuy the other day and I took a look at the Nexus S. One feature that stood out to me was it's voice recognition. I think Google nailed that one right on the head. Especially in the texting app. It got exactly what I said word for word.
    Hopefully Apple revamps it's voice recognition in iOS 5.

And no flaming please. I'm just commenting on something cool that I saw.

2. shazzam macrumors regular

Yup and Apple has Siri. I hope they're working their asses off right now.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Google's voice recognition is definitely great. I like how they implemented it over Microsoft win7 phones. The win7 phones need to send the request to a back end server and the results back, so you need 3G/wireless coverage.

I use the voice recognition to txt and for the GPS navigation. I don't have to worry about the phone sending my voice to a back end server for processing and then return the result. Its quick and pretty accurate.

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I drive in massive traffic each day. And I always see people texting. It scares the heck out of me.
    What I'd like to see is a simple "voice to text" app built in. The technology is there, so why not? It would be a safety feature.
    I know it sounds rather lame, but its a small feature I think could help prevent many upcoming laws prohibiting texting and driving.

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Why not just call the person instead of voice to text ;)

6. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

I agree! Texting while driving should be outlawed!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

the problem with this is that you still need to look down and read the screen, either because you need to be sure what you spoke translated correctly, or reading a response.

8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I would agree. However, people now a days seem to prefer to text. For some reason or another, they think its better.
    I disagree, but maybe I'm just too old.
    I'm merely looking for a way to bridge the gap between what people are doing and how that can be made safer.

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

True. But it would still be safer than the person looking down to type each and every letter for every text message. The iPhone already supports voice commands.
    So why not add "Text NAME", then say your message, then only look down to click send?
    They already have "Call NAME" and it works great. As for looking down to see if the message is correct, I really don't forsee a way around that just yet. The voice recognition will have to improve, or the person will have to just assume or not care before sending.
    Either way, its better than click on each and every letter and number, etc. while driving in traffic or in a school zone.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

Heh

Better voice recognition would be great. Speak to text would be fantastic.

I find that there are a few features that Apple has decided to introduce (as revolutionary:rolleyes:) and then just stop developing. Voice Control/recognition is definitely one of them.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're taking your eyes and attention off the road, I'm not really seeing how that's safer, sure the time that your eyes are off the road is shorter, and you're keeping one hand on the wheel - presumably.

So it may be it is marginally safer, but its still dangerous and you still run the risk of killing someone because you took your eyes off the road to see what your friend txt you with, or you're responding to a txt.

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I use Dragon Dictation on my phone all the time. Then again, I think it is time we augment SMS and MMS with VMS (Voice Message Service), as it would make life a lot easier to record a short message and send it to someone instead an SMS.

TEG

13. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Over where I live, you get a ticket for 100+ dollars if you're seen as much as holding a cellphone in your hand whilst driving. This was done after quite a few stupid University students crashed all over the city.

14. moonman239, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

moonman239 macrumors 68000

It is in Texas. Also, all cellphone use is prohibited in a school zone.

EDIT: "Learners permit holders are prohibited from using handheld cell phones in the first six months of driving.". Some cities in Texas prohibit texting while driving. However, three proposals have been submitted for a law that would ban texting altogether. The Senate and House are expected to debate over which proposal to pass sometime this year.

Source: http://handsfreeinfo.com/texas-cell-phone-laws-legislation

15. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

I hate voice recognition. It's never been accurate enough no matter how hard they try. No matter how much they say it's improved, it's the same.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I (and I think a lot of others) have found Android/Google's voice recognition to be quite amazing (and I rarely use that word). Even whispering works.

And it's available even from the keyboard. I feel slightly crippled going back to iOS devices without that.

Every day I use it to search, navigate, and reply to people's messages. I almost never have to type. Third party apps allow doing even more, with speech output, almost like a personal assistant.