one thing id love apple to do

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by white4s, Apr 17, 2012.

1. white4s macrumors 65816

to be able to delete factory apps. this is one thing that always bugged me. since i don't use stocks, voice memo, compass, maps and weather apps, they just take up space for no reason. both memory and screen space

any one else agree?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think this is a very common request. I think jailbreaking lets you hide them but unfortunately for the camp that doesn't do that, we're stuck.

3. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Yepp. I'd love to have a new option page on the iOS 5 setup pages (similar to setting up the wifi connection), where you can choose what means the most to you and it arranges the icons that is based around you.

On this page you can also choose to turn off features like iMessages, Youtube, Notes, Calculator etc. Ofcourse there's also a new Settings pane for reactivating these features, if said features are deleted off the phone for purposes of saving more space, then it'll ask to reconnect to iTunes and extract files from the ipsw and reconfigure these features back in.

4. muyaad macrumors member

I hope Apple will enable a feature that will allow us to hide any native icon we don't want and that will pave the way to the tweak that will give us an option of deleting it as time goes on

5. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Apple lets us hide the icons on the 6th generation iPod nano, so I don't see any reason why they can't let us do the same on iOS. I support this idea.

6. muyaad macrumors member

If they don't, may be one day a developer will do

7. Egish macrumors member

1) it would be nice to be able to permanently delete an app from itunes on my ios device rather than having to do it from my pc

2) allow devs to access more data to be able to create controlling profiles like SBSH phone weaver on the Android. E.g a profile called work turns your ringer off from 8 to 5 on weekdays

8. Egish macrumors member

I do not want newsstand on my desktop. I want to be able to put it in a stack

9. white4s thread starter macrumors 65816

seriously?? now thats an interesting fact

----------

completely forgot to add that in my list, another pointless app on my phone

10. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

11. white4s thread starter macrumors 65816

that makes no sense that they did that to the ipods and not the iphones. clearly iphones are more important

12. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I just hide the icons through SBSettings. I also downloaded an app from Cydia that broke NYTimes out of the newsstand, and put it back on the regular screen, where it belongs. With those two tweaks, I no longer use folders at all.

13. white4s thread starter macrumors 65816

i dont see myself jailbreaking so unfortunately i gotta deal with it :rolleyes:

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

If you have 5.0.1, JB. There's no downside, and a lot of upside.

----------

Also, mine's not obvious that it's JB'ed, unless you see a few of the little clues, like the date in the top bar, the fact that I have my carrier changed to "iPhone", which was actually a fix for "AT&T M-Cell" and the wifi icon fighting for space in the top bar, and that some of the apps are missing. It's subtle stuff, but to most people who use my iPhone, they don't even know it's JB'ed.

15. Vizin, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  16. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

How old are you? (If you don't mind) You never use weather or maps on your iPhone?

Just create a folder, mine's called "Apple," and store the apps you don't use in there.

17. twigman08 macrumors 6502

And a restore in iTunes magically restores the warranty. Apple can't tell if you have ever jailbroken.

18. white4s thread starter macrumors 65816

27 and i use the weather channel and telenav apps, apple's weather and map app are garbage as everyones aware. 2 of the worst apps they have actually

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I do what you suggest, but I still don't like it. These apps are bloatware, and actually not of very high quality. If Apple is going to force us to have a weather app from them, for instance, you'd think it would have radar, satellite photo's, and forecasting charts, but the weather app doesn't.

20. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

I would like apple to endorse jail breaking or at least, not to actively try blocking it.

21. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Wrong. All the iTunes restore does is delete the files, not erase them.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/how-to-delete-erase-sensitive-files-permanently/

So Apple can restore some files that are jail-broken (unless you have overwritten those files multiple times).

22. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Gotcha, I was thinking you didn't have a need for either, but in reality you just use better ones :p

23. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

Is there anything from jail breaking that finds its way into Apple releases?

Earlier this year Tim Cook mentioned that Apple would be coming out with stuff that would "blow your mind". I hope iOS 6 is included in that statement.

24. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Google Maps on the iPhone is pretty good for map viewing. Of course, no turn by turn.

25. white4s thread starter macrumors 65816

haha yep. i like having weather maps with radar and more info and apples maps is just way too plain, no turn by turn or anything, just a green route lol

----------

had it, didnt like it that much. telenav is great, lil slow but has a lot of features. even 3d and day/night mode