One thing making me think twice about Retina MBP...

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
This would be my first Mac computer. And I want to know its a Mac when
I look at the screen while using it

But...

Unlike the other MacBooks; Airs and regular Pros included the Retina Pro doesn't say MacBook on the bottom of display.

Not sure to do. Get the regular MacBook Pro instead?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

But...

Unlike the other MacBooks; Airs and regular Pros included the Retina Pro doesn't say MacBook on the bottom of display.

Are you serious? You need a little sticker on it to "know" its a MacBook Pro?

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
I am getting the regular pro with a 750GB 7200rpm drive. It's only a pound heavier. I don't need an SSD. I'm not doing heavy video writes or anything special. The resolution is great but it's new. The RAM is not replaceable. THE SSD on the new retina MBP looks proprietary. Plus I can get the regular pro faster.

I'm deciding if I should get the apple care now or later. I think I'll get it later.

But...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You'll know it's a Mac by what's on the display. You don't need printed words on the bottom of the screen.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
I am getting the regular pro with a 750GB 7200rpm drive. It's only a pound heavier. I don't need an SSD. I'm not doing heavy video writes or anything special. The resolution is great but it's new. The RAM is not replaceable. THE SSD on the new retina MBP looks proprietary. Plus I can get the regular pro faster.

I'm deciding if I should get the apple care now or later. I think I'll get it later.
Thats got to be the worst decision ever.
More ram? Hell no
Way faster HDD? No thanks
Better screen? Nah
Dual mics? Sorry, no
Thinner, lighter? Nope

you are either going for the high end regular 15" or base 15" with upgraded hdd. And ofcourse u can get you own 256SSD, but then the cost is already near or over the the retina macbook pro. And you still loose the screen and sexyness of the new mbp

*mind blown*

Suno

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2011
well jaysus, i do wunder if dis new fangly device o mine is a macbook, i can't seem to tell because there's no label, may be its adele.

varsis

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2005
I priced out the 15" with 2.6 and putting in an SSD + ram the cost comes out pretty close. But you won't get a retina display.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
No I'm not trolling. It's my first Mac. I really wanted the iMac which has the apple on bottom but for practical reasons of needing the mobility so I'm settling on a Laptop. I swore I never get one but have no choice so I want the best there is but I like the fact when you see the name it makes the Apple experience all the more pleasurable

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
I priced out the 15" with 2.6 and putting in an SSD + ram the cost comes out pretty close. But you won't get a retina display.
And it weighs more, and its thicker and chunky compared to the new mbp

----------

No I'm not trolling. It's my first Mac. I really wanted the iMac which has the apple on bottom but for practical reasons of needing the mobility so I'm settling on a Laptop. I swore I never get one but have no choice so I want the best there is but I like the fact when you see the name it makes the Apple experience all the more pleasurable
For you, or for everyone that sees you with it. Hey hey vanity.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I can't believe you're thinking twice about something as trivial as this. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I think you have larger issues to deal with besides getting an iMac or a MBP, if you feel that you need a sticker with a logo or name on it to make you feel better about it.

The pleasurable experience should be actually using the Mac, not looking at a sticker.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
More ram? Hell no
Better screen? Nah
Dual mics? Sorry, no
Thinner, lighter? Nope

you are either going for the high end regular 15" or base 15" with upgraded hdd. And ofcourse u can get you own 256SSD, but then the cost is already near or over the the retina macbook pro. And you still loose the screen and sexyness of the new mbp

*mind blown*
No, it isn't:

RAM - he can upgrade it later
HDD - he can upgrade it later
Display - if he's using external, Retina is meaningless
Dual mics - see above
Thinner and lighter - no difference

Ofc the new MBP is better because it's more anorexic!

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
The RAM is a big problem for me. If it was replaceable I would totally jump on it.

More ram? Hell no
Better screen? Nah
Dual mics? Sorry, no
Thinner, lighter? Nope

*mind blown*

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
No, it isn't:

Dual mics - see above

Thank you! Someone with sense!

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Exactly. I mean I get it it's new and it's Apple. I wanna go with the sure thing that's been around for my first macbook. Maybe in 3-4 years when I get bored with what I have I'll go with the new thinner design but I think this is plenty.

Right now I'm using an HP laptop with 1386 resolution with the first gen core i7. I paid 1700 for it and it's now worth roughly 500 dollars 3 years later.

I'm getting the 1650 res with anti-glare so is 400 dollars worth new technology never tested in the real world? My answer is no and I don't want to wait anymore.

No, it isn't:

Dual mics - see above

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
If he has a external display with high pixel density?

And how is staring at 27" display with 2560x1440 considered being retina? :)

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
I'd be all over it if the RAM was replaceable.

I remember throwing out entire computers because the RAM went bad. If you could replace the RAM it would have been fine.

If he has a external display with high pixel density?

And how is staring at 27" display with 2560x1440 considered being retina? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.