One time audio "pop" after every boot on early 08 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by atakordie, Aug 13, 2008.

1. atakordie macrumors member

Well, I just got my new dual 2.8 ocho core mac pro from Apple on Monday. Very nice machine thus far, encoding a movie full resolution h264 in 25 minutes, whereas my toshiba laptop would encode in about 6-7 hours and my G5 iMac in maybe 12-14 hours! So, I am happy with the possibilities enclosed within the fine aluminium skin.

One complaint. Has anyone experienced a slight pop or click sound *just* before audio comes through external speakers? It only pops once, not loudly, and it happens only after a restart or bootup. It happens if the machine has been on for ten minutes or maybe as little as ten seconds, but it won't occur until a sound is emitted from the speakers (only the first sound. after that, no pops again until another reboot). Any ideas/knowledge on this?

I used the factory installation of Leopard and updated all softwares. I use the optical out jack in the back. These same Boston Acoustics speakers were used on my imac G5's optical out just days ago with no ticking sound like is happening now with the Pro. :confused:

2. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Have you tried another set of speakers? It might not be the Mac. It could be your speakers don't like the initial current surge. I assume everything is grounded correctly, in the sense that the Mac and the speakers are plugged into the same outlet/power strip.

3. atakordie thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, other small set of cheap speakers does it too. I have both the speakers and Mac hooked up to the same UPS. Will do some more tests tonight. Not sure, perhaps the optical cable has suddenly gone to rubbish? But I don't know why sound would come out fine and sound great after that initial audible pop.

4. atakordie thread starter macrumors member

ok, I tried the speakers using the analog "line out" jack in the back. Guess what: no pop to be heard after bootups. So perhaps this must be either a Mac Pro audio issue, or the optical cable/optical port for speakers is bad. Anyone know of optical cabling being weird like this? (or does anyone think my Mac's audio could be a bit not right?) It sounds perfect once I get that first sound bit through.

5. shiny-blanket macrumors member

Always happen with me, don't think it's an issue.

6. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I believe that would be the initialization of the jack. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I have a PMG5 1.8ghz, w/ JBL Creature speakers...I hear a pop every time I power the machine on. I think it's just the audio port initializing as was said.

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

It happens on mine all the time as well. It has to do with the voltage being sent out of the jack at power-up. It happens with a lot of PCs, too. Nothing to worry about.

9. atakordie thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies . . . good to hear that this is a regular occurrence for all of you too. I tend to be meticulous and anal about certain things of this nature, but I think I'll just ignore this and not trouble Apple about it, especially since I rarely need to reboot. I've just been rebooting so many times in the past week for fresh-OS application installation reasons.

Phish rules, agentphish :)