One to One

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ignatius Reilly, May 15, 2011.

1. Ignatius Reilly macrumors newbie

I will be purchasing my first mac soon (just waiting to see if the back to school free ipod deal becomes available by the end of the month). While I have used other people's macs I have never had my own. When I configure my imac it has the 99$ one to one option and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

1.)I have about 90gb of itunes I will be transferring.

2.) I was thinking of partitioning a portion of the 2tb hdd for bootcamp to set up windows 7.

3.) I would also like to learn how/why OS X is as awesome as apple devotee's say it is.

I have two young children that I want to grow up using macs and windows and want to know enough to help them as well.
    I have built my own PC's before but software was never my strong suit and I don't know if One to One would help me with all of this or if I should just continue pouring over these forum threads as they have already been extremely helpful.
    Thanks!

2. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I found that the learning curve is not very steep when it comes to learning the new operating system. It was quite easy for myself and even my mom uses my computer with minimal help from me...and she used Windows all her life. I would put the money towards something else. If you do have questions just post them here on MR in the Mac basics and help section and people will gladly help you out.

3. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Based on your post, I'd actually say One to One is good idea for you. The real value in One to One is not the data transfer, it's in the one-on-one classes you get to take. They can start as simply as showing you basic things on your mac (email, shortcuts, etc.) and go as far as learning Garage Band, iMovie, etc.

A lot of times people think they know Mac OS X really well, but they've actually only scratched the surface. Especially with the iLife/iWork suites.

The data transfer is a nice add-on especially if you're coming from Windows. But I would really do it for the one-on-one sessions. You get a year's worth, so try and schedule as many as you can and take full advantage. You can then teach your kids what you've learned - they'll probably pick it up faster than you. :)

Good luck.

4. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

+1 Great analysis and very brief. :)

One to One is a great investment! One can learn about all Apple products. As stated, a person can share knowledge with other persons, which I did not think about.

5. Ignatius Reilly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone so far who have posted. I was at the apple store today and asked the sales rep what his opinion was and he said he thought it was worth it just for transferring the data. He seemed to imply that transferring itunes from pc to mac can sometimes be a little tricky and with the amount I would be transferring I wouldn't want to lose anything. I might be new to mac but I'm not tech illiterate, it it really that tricky?
    I do like advice above signing up for classes and really learning some of the programs. As a teacher I will have some time this summer to sign up and learn the programs. And thanks too to Dogg, who I think said, I could probably learn it myself, I agree, I just think I might want to learn some depth to some of the programs. But certainly, all opinions are appreciated.
    Thanks again.

6. anon.ymous macrumors member

In terms of value, I think that the biggest feature of one to one is the training part. The data transfer (esp if it's just songs in iTunes) isn't hard to transfer yourself over your home network or an external drive.

Even basic one to one classes aren't super valuable. You can learn the basics of OSX in a couple hours and be able to have your email, iTunes, safari, etc setup for basic use. One to one is great for learning about anything you want to create on your Mac. You have access to trainers who have specialties in the pro apps (Logic, Final Cut, Aperture) as well as the iLife and iWork suites. One to one can help you to use your computer to really work with your interests/passions.

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

When I had a pc, I ran syncback (freeware) to copy all my important stuff to a network drive. I had nothing in iTunes as all my mp3s were already kept on a network drive. When I got my Macbook, I copied all my stuff from the network drive to my Macbook and I was done.

I paid for 1 to 1 so I could go through projects in the Apple store with the help of one of their geniuses. One example was setting up iPhoto the way I wanted it. I got fairly busy later in the year and never went back to use any more time but I thought the time I did use was well worth it. I left my Macbook on the internet with "back to my mac" enabled. Then I could go to the Apple store and use one of their machines to log in at home. Everything was there. All my network drives, etc. I could go through and make everything work remotely and I made a lot of progress during my 1 to 1 sessions.

I've considered signing up for 1 to 1 again so I could get some help tweaking my iPhoto and iTunes setup again. I want to swap my internal hard drive and replace my 160 G drive with a 320 G model. Once I do that, I might consider letting some bulkier multimedia stuff back onto my internal drive, possibly music.

Bottom line: 1 to 1 is worth more when you have specific goals in mind and the Apple geniuses will work through it with you. An effective technique is to show up at the Apple store empty handed and use their machines via "back to my mac" to do stuff remotely. Make sure you log out of your MobileMe account on their system before you leave the store!