one user account to another user account

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DJ Zoots, Apr 18, 2009.

1. DJ Zoots macrumors newbie

is there a way to move or copy files that are saved under one user account to the admin account? i was locked out of the admin account for while and have stuff on a second user account that i would like on the admin account so im not going back and forth to both user accounts. i would like to do this because it seems like programs and apps are still locked and unavailable on the second user account and the admin has more usable apps and programs.

thank you

2. CarpetMonster macrumors newbie

I've only tried it when migrating user accounts between machines, but it might work.

Copy, or rename, the old home directory in /Users to what you want the username to be. Then in system prefs, accounts, create a new user with the same name as the copied or moved home folder in /Users. It should then prompt you that the home directory exists with that name, and if you want to use the one that's there already. Say yes, then log out and log back to try it out. If it works then copy what you want from your second account if the first account worked better.

3. DJ Zoots thread starter macrumors newbie

i just did the old skool copy and past method haha.