One user, multiple Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by prg909, Oct 24, 2008.

1. prg909 macrumors newbie

prg909

Hi everyone...

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've ordered my new aluminum MacBook to accompany the iMac I've had for about a year now. I've been searching the forums for someone to ask this question but nothing yet so here goes.

How do most users handle multiple Macs? Can the user and settings on my current Mac be copied over to the new Macbook? With all the "lack of firewire" threads lately, everyone has mentioned Migration Assistant but what I don't know is whether that copies the settings or whether it cut and pastes the settings.

When it comes to my iTunes library, I have all my data stored on my Drobo which is connected via firewire to my iMac. My plan is to share my library over my network to the MacBook and copy the library items I want to take with me when I'm away from the house. I guess I'll just delete those copies off the MacBook later, knowing I still have them on the Drobo. But there must be a better way, right?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help, it's much appreciated.

Cheers...

2. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

look into mobleme. it can keep everything synced up.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

That is a awesome piece of software - I use it at home to sync my macbook pro with the macbook