One users' experience with the technical terms of iPhone 3G usage

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Granitel, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Granitel, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

Granitel macrumors member

I post this, by way of mere chronology, for one users' path of learning the technical terms the rest of you so readily seem to know by rote.

Having become upset with AT&T smartphone policies, and, with my young kid hankering for an iPhone, I researched carriers and cell phones - ending up with a jailbroken/unlocked Craigslist $130 iPhone 3G, iOS 4.2.1.

Starting my technical terms journey, I had to first understand the major difference between the various low-cost iPhones (prices roughly as found, last week, in the Silicon Valley Craigslist):
    • iPhone 8GB (roughly $100 asking price)
    • iPhone 3G 8/16GB (roughly $120 to $200 asking price)
    • iPhone 3GS 8/16/32GB (roughly $275 to $500 asking price)
    • iPhone 4 (roughly $350 to $600 asking price)

Choosing the phone to look for was both hard and easy at the same time. I first called T-Mobile to ask which iPhones they support - and I was told (by a helpful representative who had owned multiple iPhones) that the iPhone 4 was out of the question (due to AT&T's artificial use of a non-standard SIM card).

That left me with the first three iPhones, of which, I bought the first one I had found on the net, which was a jailbroken/unlocked $130 8GB iPhone 3 with iOS 4.2.1, which worked just fine on T-Mobile and at home with 802.11g WiFi.

By the time I bought the phone, it was important to know the model number (because Chinese models, apparently, don't have WiFi) and some distinguishing features (in case the backs had been changed).

After purchase, while installing apps, these terms became necessary:
    • iOS: The Apple iPhone operating system (mine happened to be iOS 4.2.1)
    • iOS Jailbreaking: Removing artificial limits on iOS kernel customization
    • Untethered Jailbreak: A requirement for offline rebooting of the jailbroken iPhone
    • Tethered Jailbreak: A (nearly useless) jailbreak which only works while booting tethered to the pc
    • UnJailbreak: Restoring the iPhone
    • SIM unlocking: Necessary to remove artificial GSM carrier restrictions for T-Mobile

Then, as problems cropped up, more terms were needed:
    • Cydia: A common web site for new applications
    • Baseband: The radio processor (with or without WiFi &/or Bluetooth)
    • Springboard: The home screen gui (i.e., user interface)
    • Winterboard: An application that allows customizations of Springboard
    • iPhone firmware: necessary to know in order to jailbreak with the right tools and versions
    • How to backup your iPhone

Unfortunately, since video recording is desired, I'm finding out that the iOS doesn't support the most often recommended iPhone 3G video recorder (i.e., Cycorder); so now I'm exploring the terms necessary to understand downgrading the iOS from 4.3.2 down to 3.1.3 using the WinXP PC platform:
    • GreenPois0n RC5
    • Blackra1n

To be continued ...

2. Granitel, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

Granitel thread starter macrumors member

My kid's iPhone 3G locked up today so it's time to learn some new technical terms:
    * How to resolve locked up jailbroken iPhone stuck in "recovery mode" (see pictures)

New (to me) terms I'm working on (in googling to find the cause & solution), explained in terms that are meaningful to the way I learned them:
    • iOS = the "main" operating system of the iPhone; but other 'subversions' of this are critical (e.g., baseband, iBoot, bootrom, & bootloader subversions)
    • baseband = they call it the 'modem firmware' but to me, it acts mainly like an important subversion of the overall operating system(s) of the iPhone
    • iPad baseband = a certain newer version of the baseband used because it could be easily jailbroken but which may have GPS problems on the iPhone 3G that I have
    • bootloader = the first stage of the iPhone basal booting software (it's important to note the version you have installed as it could limit your flexibility later on)
    • iBoot = aka bootrom, the second stage of the iPhone basal booting software (mainly it's important to make a note of the versions)
    • bootrom = aka iBoot, the second stage of the iPhone basal booting software (mainly it's important to make a note of the version)
    • activation = a one-time-only upon new-phone startup (or after every jailbreak) apparently artificial roadblock, seemingly useless for practical purposes, artificially put in place by Apple to make it slightly more difficult to begin using an iPhone on a non-approved GSM network, easily overcome by borrowing an approved-network SIM card (active or non active is OK) for a few minutes
    • hactivation = performing the activation process without using an approved-carrier's SIM card
    • Cydia = an iTunes/iStore alternative way of downloading useful apps not approved by Apple
    • jailbreaking = the process of 'opening' the iPhone's applications to non-Apple-approved apps (essentially adding 'Cydia') by modifying the operating system in some magic (but legal) way
    • tethered jailbreak = a jailbreak which will not work if you power down the iPhone, unless you power it back up connected to your computer (and then you run an application to get your jailbreak back)
    • untethered jailbreak = a jailbreak which which persists, even if you power down your phone, it does not require connection to the PC to maintain the jailbreak after powering down
    • unlocking = the process of 'opening' the iPhone's radio to non-approved GSM carriers (such as T-Mobile, which is my current carrier)
    • DFU mode = A blank-screen mode where the iBoot hasn't actually run, which is a good thing because this mode allows you to downgrade your iOS
    • Recovery mode = A connect-to-iTunes mode where iBoot has run, which means you can recover your existing iOS and upgrade, but you can't downgrade from this mode
    • shsh blobs = A really complicated way of saying Apple's found a method using files specific to every individual phone, to prevent you from downgrading the iOS on iPhone 3G and above if you don't save these things before you upgrade (note: this doesn't really apply to the iPhone 3G)
    • ipsw = this is basically the file extension for an easily obtainable file which is then flashed onto your iPhone to give it the operating system of choice

Since I'm currently stuck in "restore mode", I'm continuing the research to either unjailbreak or restore somehow ... and ... AFAIK ... these are my options:

Here are the programs that everyone talks about:
    • TinyUmbrella is an SHSH saving tool that allows you to downgrade your iDevice’s firmware version to a lower version than you are currently running. This can often times be helpful in case you accidentally update to a firmware version that cannot be jailbroken; as by default Apple does not allow downgrading.
    • PwnageTool is a MAC OSX only jailbreaking tool that jailbreaks your iOS iDevice by creating a custom IPSW (Apple’s Firmware File); once this IPSW is created you must restore it to your iDevice through iTunes
    • Sn0wBreeze is the Windows alternative to the PwnageTool. It functions and operates the same as the PwnageTool – Sn0wBreeze jailbreaks your iOS iDevice by creating a custom IPSW (Apple’s Firmware File); once this IPSW is created you must restore it to your iDevice through iTunes.
    • RedSn0w (originally named QuickPwn) was re-released during the times of the 2.x.x firmware generation, as one of the first jailbreaking tools to jailbreak the iPod Touch 2G. Maintained and created by the Dev-Team, RedSn0w has become one of the most used jailbreaking tools to jailbreak the iOS firmware.
    • GreenPois0n jailbreaking tool was first released on October 12th, 2010 and it was one of the first jailbreaking tools to jailbreak the iOS 4.1 firmware. GreenPois0n is a one click jailbreaking tool; meaning that all you need to do to jailbreak your iDevice is click a button.
    • JailbreakMe is a userland jailbreak. Meaning that all you need to do to jailbreak your iDevice is visit JailbreakMe.com and just like that your iDevice will be Jailbroken. This jailbreak works on all iDevices running up to the iOS 4.3.3 firmware.
    • iFaith is an SHSH saving tool that dumps SHSH blobs directly on to your iDevice. Dumping your SHSH blobs allows you to downgrade your iDevice’s firmware version to a lower version than you are currently running. This can often times be helpful in case you accidentally update to a firmware version that cannot be jailbroken; as by default Apple does not allow downgrading.
    • RecBoot is an application that easily kicks your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad out of Recovery Mode and also puts your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad into Recovery Mode.
    • F0recast will tell you information about your iDevice. For example: whether or not it can be jailbroken/unlocked.
    • ipswDownloader allows you to easily download firmware files for your iDevice from an easy to use GUI (graphical user interface). Additionally the tool tells you whether or not the firmware you are downloading can be jailbroken or Unlocked.

Specifically, for Windows XP & for the iPhone 3G that I have, the following appears to be the case:

To Hactivate iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.3 on WinXP:
    • Use iTunes with an active AT&T SIM card (card is needed only for a few minutes)
    • Use iTunes with an inactive AT&T SIM card (card is needed only for a few minutes)
    • Use Redsn0w & SAM

To Jailbreak iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.3 on WinXP:
    • redsn0w 0.9.3
    • redsn0w 0.9.4
    • Sn0wbreeze 3.1.3 -V1.3
    • Spirit (only works if the phone is activated)
    • jailbreakme.com (only works if the phone is activated)

To Unlock iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.3 for iPhone 3G on WinXP:
    • blacksn0w
    • ultrasn0w

For iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.3 with updated bootrom & baseband, on WinXP you can use:
    • Spirit

To downgrade iPhone 3G from iOS 4.1.2 to iOS 3.1.3, you can use:
    • iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw
    • Tiny Umbrella
    • iTunes

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

For future reference:
    You can cut down a full sized sim to micro

4. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Was going to say the same thing...

Also I wouldn't call a tethered jailbreak "nearly useless." Once you've installed all your Cydia tweaks which require reboots, you really have no need to reboot ever again, unless the phone completely locks up. In my experience, that has never happened.

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Ha..ha... I love OP's thread, especial the following quote;

"Since nobody on this forum knows how to fix the basic iPhone problem, I have to either unjailbreak or restore so I'm looking at these options:"

:D

6. Granitel, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

I agree.

To that end, I had posted an update, which I had belatedly found, after the fact, well after I had asked for options.

As always, to help others, as I am wont to do, I immediately posted an update to the relevant thread a while ago so that others in this forum benefited from the knowledge learned outside the forum:
    - Why I decided NOT to change the iPhone IMEI (I simply switched from AT&T to T-Mobile)

To wit:

7. Granitel, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

I found, via this thread, that something called 'iCloud' might restore an iPhone:
    - HOW TO UNBRICK IPHONE TUTORIAL (Phone gets stuck restoring)

So that adds some new terms to be understood by me as I learn:
    - Restoring from the iCloud:
    - Fix Recovery by The Firmware Umbrella

Some tidbits I'm learning, slowly, one by one:
    * Recovery mode is different from DFU mode
    * An iTunes restore will lose all the data on the iPhone 3G
    * A backup is way different than a sync.
    * Anything not backed up will be lost (and since we've never synced, all will be lost).

* I wouldn't have this (because I bought the iPhone jailbroken and never use iTunes) but the normal location for the iOS 3.1.3 ipsw file on Windows is C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

Backup vs sync:
    * A backup saves some email settings, text messages, notes, call history, contact favorites, sound settings, widget settings, certain network settings, and other preferences, purchased music, TV shows, apps, and books; photos and video in the Camera Roll; device settings (for example, Phone Favorites, Wallpaper, and Mail, Contacts, Calendar accounts); app data; Home screen and app organization; Messages (iMessage, SMS, and MMS), ringtones
    * Media files synced from your computer aren’t backed up, but can be restored by syncing with iTunes.
    * A sync saves music, podcasts, videos, ringtones, photos, email account settings, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks;

* Figure if you're stuck in recovery mode or DFU mode
    * Download the ~230MB iPhone 3.1.3 ipsw from iClarified onto your WinXP computer.
    * Download RecBoot for Windows to get in or out of recovery mode.

Attached Files:

8. Granitel, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

Starting as a total iNewbie, I've learned a lot of terms in the past few days trying to downgrade the iOS from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3, activating with an inactive AT&T SIM card, jailbreaking with Jailbreakme.com, unlocking with Ultrasn0w, & attempting to downgrade the baseband from 06.15.00 to something that better supports GPS.

With your help (and that of others), all of these (new to me) tasks were successful ... with one exception.

Apparently I can't downgrade the baseband because, while my bootrom is the right version, my bootloader is 05.09 and only up to 05.08 are downgradable (so I'm likely to lose GPS functionality on the iPhone 3G).

Anyway, in keeping with the point of this thread ... some new terms I've learned from you all in this endeavor are the following:
    - Baseband (modem firmware ... but it seems to be a lot more than that)
    - Bootrom (boots the iPhone)
    - Bootloader (loads the bootrom)
    - Tiny Umbrella (a very useful program that reports versions, among other things)
    - Fuzzyband (a program that downgrades basebands, if possible)

For the record, I also 'tested' out the following 8 forums with this particular problem, keeping them all in sync as I progressed.

It turned out the first forum was 'slow to start but steady once moving' while the second was 'quick as a whistle but partially inaccurate' in this one experiment; while the third was 'just ok'. The rest were wholly useless and not even worth the login effort.

THESE WERE THE BEST:
    1. MacRumours e.g., iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting, iPhone Hacks, etc.
    2. everythingiCafe e.g., iPhone Jailbreak, iPhone unlock, iOS Software, etc.
    3. modmyi e.g., iPhone Modding, Computer Modding Software, General iPhone, etc.
    THESE WERE USELESS:
    • HackintOsh e.g., Genius Bar, HowTos, Guides & Tutorials, etc.
    • iPhone Forum e.g., iPhone Help, iOS Forum, iPhone Camera forum, etc.
    • Planet-iPhones e.g., Jailbreaking/Downgrading/Upgrading, Guides & Tutorials, Unlocking/Activation, etc.
    • iPhoners e.g., Wireless Carriers & Plans, General Discussion & Support, iPhone Apps Discussions, etc.
    • Howard iPhone forums e.g., iOS Hacking & Unlocking, iOS SDK Development, iOS Apps, etc.

[​IMG]

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I am impressed with your determination to learn and fix your son's iPhone. I believe you have learned tons of iPhone relate info in a very short time frame. I have to admit that I need to learn these skill from you as well.
    :)