one v.s many push notification

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoneblack, Jul 15, 2009.

1. iphoneblack macrumors member

I do understand push notification uses more battery. However, I am not sure having many notification will drain battery much faster or not.

Like others, I have and enjoy beejive notification. Despite the fact that it consume more batter, it definitely worth it. It seems like more and more app have notification. For instance, assistance, also have notification. If one already have notification on, will turning more notification significantly decrease the battery performance?

2. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

more apps with push notifications on -> more push notifications sent to your phone -> less battery life

3. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Yes, but they all use the same persistent connection to the same server..

4. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

so having 20 notifications pushed to your phone every hour would use the same battery life as 200 every hour?

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Yeah, because every app pushing something every hour. If you want to look at the worst case scenario then yeah, the use of cpu cycles and turning on the screen will cause more of a drain. The difference is the cost of the persistent connection itself remain the same regardless of the number of apps currently connect to said connection. Once you have one push app installed the cost of connection should be the same with 200.

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It's like push emails, or pull with shorter time interval. The more you push/pull, the more battery it drains.

7. iphoneblack thread starter macrumors member

thats what i thought... but... i might be wrong haha
    thats why i made this post.