One Vision for Magazine Content on the Apple Tablet

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We had previously reported that magazine publisher Condé Nast is already taking steps to produce tablet-specific content for their publications in anticipation of the Apple Tablet (and competing devices). Condé Nast publishes the technology magazine Wired amongst others.
Condé’s plan, meanwhile, is to create digital versions of its magazines that will work on all the upcoming tablets, using new software from Adobe (ADBE). Those tablets aren’t actually on the market yet, but the publisher says it’s confident that we’ll soon see multiple versions of machines featuring large color touchscreens and wireless connections.
The company claims it has no special knowledge about Apple's device, but there have been reports that the New York Times has already been approached about producing content for the device.

A new video demonstrates their vision for content delivered on a tablet device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLc-8gT2eKg

Again, the company claims not to have any specific knowledge of an Apple tablet device, but expectations are building for exactly such a device.

Article Link: One Vision for Magazine Content on the Apple Tablet

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Here's is an interesting example of how an e-magazine might look: http://issue.igizmo.co.uk/.

It's a familiar turn-the-pages sort or UI, but each page has interactive content. I could see this evolving into a fairly satisfying user experience on a large format mobile touchscreen.

maveness

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2004
There is no way Apple's putative tablet is going to use a proprietary ADOBE platform. No way.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Well, that makes the Kindle look really lame....
No, it makes the Kindle look really MATTE!

A glossy screen would kill (at least for me) even the best tablet in the world. As I cannot use my MacBook Pro outdoors, I can imagine that anything aimed to display text is better have matte screen. The iPhone doesn't count. It is one thing to read emails on the move and another to read whole articles on a dedicated device.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
actually Kindle's are great!

I'm as stoked as the next fan boy about the "Tablet," but the thought of reading magazines on a backlit display makes my eyes hurt in sympathy. There is one nice thing about a kindle is the screen is very easy on your eyes when reading extended periods of time. Perhaps it makes less of a difference for more picture oriented content than longer text but I can see fatigue after some time.

I have no desire to read books on my mac, I don't even like reading the e-mag's I get on it. Typically I skim them and just look at the pictures and random gear reviews/etc (mags like EQ).

I'm looking for more here than a LED e-mag or a larger screen iphone. I want to fill the space between the 3rd screen and my mac but with some hybrid of the two. A little more regular OSX like, but a little special purpose like my iPhone. Make it all about browsing information with a dash of netbook for some light pen-based note taking. What tablet PCs should have been instead of amputated laptops.

Can't wait to see what the final product is like

MatthewCobb

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Manchester, UK
This looks OK, but it is just a magazine on a screen. The really interesting thing will come when some bright spark works out a combination of print and web content that would show off the possibilities of the tablet - if Jobs ever OKs it - and provide ordinary folk a reason to buy it.

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
PDF's are not proprietary. Adobe does not own it. PDF is open source.
It's an open standard, not "open source." But what's your point? No one said pdf is proprietary, and pdf is irrelevant, since it doesn't support the sort of mixed media things (absent nonstandard plugins) the article is talking about.

hence the "pdf :)" joke.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Here's is an interesting example of how an e-magazine might look: http://issue.igizmo.co.uk/.

It's a familiar turn-the-pages sort or UI, but each page has interactive content. I could see this evolving into a fairly satisfying user experience on a large format mobile touchscreen.
My God do I ever hope the magazines of the future don't look like that. Dynamic content does not need to be moving content. This is what happens when you let print designers unleash all of their primal urges without a few experienced web designers to let them know that, no, just because it's moving does not make it cooler.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Jobs is really going to have to put on a show.

Maybe come out on stage dressed as Moses holding high the TABLET over his head while shouting and having the TABLET shine brilliantly like the sun and in so doing give hope and peace to the world...amen.

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Forget it - there's not going to be an Apple Tablet and here's why:

1. It's very uncomfortable to use: while it's very easy to lift and twist the iPhone, imagine having to deal with a 10 inch screen: how would you hold it? How would you watch movies on that? Why would you want to have your hands over the screen all the time?

2. It's not going to sell well: aside from a few rich Apple fanboys most users would prefer to invest their precious money on a better desktop or laptop computer as they are more comfortable for long term use and will obviously run on better hardware.

Using a great technology like Multi-Touch on a dedicated computer which can't serve as your main computer is wrong! It would make much more sense if Apple use that technology in a Multi-Touch device which replaces the mouse and keyboard and can be used on every computer.

MCPeck

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2003
i was too distracted by the music to be able to pay any intelligent mind to the video. that being said, it looked like nothing more than a powerpoint or flash promo at best.
btw, was the music oppressively loud for anyone else or just me? *ouch ears*

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Jobs is really going to have to put on a show.

Maybe come out on stage dressed as Moses holding high the TABLET over his head while shouting and having the TABLET shine brilliantly like the sun and in so doing give hope and peace to the world...amen.
I can see that happening all to well. However, I doubt he will dress up in costume as Moses and walk down a theatrical mountain with the tablets in his hands. That is just over the top, ever for Steve.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Forget it - there's not going to be an Apple Tablet and here's why:

1. It's very uncomfortable to use: while it's very easy to lift and twist the iPhone, imagine having to deal with a 10 inch screen: how would you hold it? How would you watch movies on that? Why would you want to have your hands over the screen all the time?

2. It's not going to sell well: aside from a few rich Apple fanboys most users would prefer to invest their precious money on a better desktop or laptop computer as they are more comfortable for long term use and will obviously run on better hardware.

Using a great technology like Multi-Touch on a dedicated computer which can't serve as your main computer is wrong! It would make much more sense if Apple use that technology in a Multi-Touch device which replaces the mouse and keyboard and can be used on every computer.
LOL, there will be one, that much is evident. As to your reasoning:

1. You don't know how much the device weighs so turning a 10" screen would be moot. The Air is still a traditional laptop and it weighs 3lbs., has a larger screen and a keyboard. This could only weigh 2lbs. or maybe less. You have you hands on the screen of the iPhone. Since when was that annoying to use? The best way to interact with data is through the person touching it and not through a mouse. As for watching movies I'm sure that the engineers at Apple managed to find a way for the device to stay up on its own without someone consistently holding it.

2. It may not sell that well but if Apple can create this as a standalone device it could potentially become a less powerful, fully functional, multitouch computer. Most people don't need the power of a full fledged laptop as evidenced with the introduction of Chrome OS. If Apple is headed in this direction you will see iTunes on this computer (which the iPhone in a sense already has) so that it isn't nnecessary to sync the device and probably Time Machine for backups.

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
Meh.

I've traded in my newspaper for online news, but there's no way I'd trade my magazine subscriptions for that.

Online news - free; newspaper - not free.
Magazines - free via frequent flier miles; Apple craplet - not free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.