Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I recently came into a spare MacBook Pro (13-inch, Retina, Late 2012) and an iPad mini 2 (WiFi). These are not my daily drivers by any means and I was considering throwing on the Public Betas of macOS Sierra and iOS 10 respectively to try them out.

Before I do though, just so I am prepared, are there any new iCloud features in either OS that necessitate a one-way upgrade of my iCloud in any way?

For those confused as to what I mean by this, other examples of it include:

The transition from documents in the cloud to iCloud Drive in iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite

The transition in Notes for iCloud in iOS 9 and El Capitan

These transitions would force a one-way upgrade that would be incompatible with older versions of things (and since I'm not "upgrading" more than just these two machines to the Public Betas of these OSes, I don't want to accidentally do something like this prematurely). For those currently in these betas and/or in the know, is there anything like this in the iOS 10 and macOS Sierra Public Betas that I should know about before proceeding? Any info on this would be helpful. Thanks!

(Also, to the mods, if this is better placed in an iCloud forum, please feel free to move it there. I would've posted this there from the get go, but I couldn't find it. My apologies in advance!)

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I recently came into a spare MacBook Pro (13-inch, Retina, Late 2012) and an iPad mini 2 (WiFi). These are not my daily drivers by any means and I was considering throwing on the Public Betas of macOS Sierra and iOS 10 respectively to try them out.

Before I do though, just so I am prepared, are there any new iCloud features in either OS that necessitate a one-way upgrade of my iCloud in any way?

For those confused as to what I mean by this, other examples of it include:

The transition from documents in the cloud to iCloud Drive in iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite

The transition in Notes for iCloud in iOS 9 and El Capitan

These transitions would force a one-way upgrade that would be incompatible with older versions of things (and since I'm not "upgrading" more than just these two machines to the Public Betas of these OSes, I don't want to accidentally do something like this prematurely). For those currently in these betas and/or in the know, is there anything like this in the iOS 10 and macOS Sierra Public Betas that I should know about before proceeding? Any info on this would be helpful. Thanks!

(Also, to the mods, if this is better placed in an iCloud forum, please feel free to move it there. I would've posted this there from the get go, but I couldn't find it. My apologies in advance!)
None that I am aware of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.