One way to get a sim-free iPhone X without a carrier account

s54

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I want to preorder the sim free version of the iPhone X.

As far as I know, the Verizon version of the iPhone 8/8+/X comes fully unlocked and works on all bands (GSM and CDMA). Therefore, this is identical to having a sim-free version, isn't it?

Now, the benefit of ordering a "sim free" iPhone is that you don't need a carrier account associated with it. So, pre-ordering the Verizon iPhone X at full price directly from Apple's website won't work because it requires a Verizon account. However, last I checked, ordering a Verizon iPhone 8/8+ at full price from Bestbuy does not require a Verizon account.

Hence, unless I'm completely off, I can pre-order a sim-free iPhone X at full price from BestBuy.

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
Maybe. And pay the Best Buy premium of an extra $100.
you could more than likely get the price adjusted and a partial refund after you have the phone and all that by going up there and showing them your receipt and the price  charges for it.

shaunp0327

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2015
Is sim free the same as factory unlocked? Because when you buy the phone thru apple upgrade program or the installment plan the phone comes unlocked which I then use in the Caribbean islands, I’m with att btw.