Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Hey guys, well I have been dealing with the dreaded death grip since I got the phone last friday. At my house, whenever I pick it up with my left hand I lose all connectivity, no voice or data. Data I don't mind too much because I have wifi, but that also meant that whenever I was at home playing games or surfing the web, my phone would be stuck searching for signal eating away its battery and all my calls going strait to VM. Apple also hasn't granted any of my request thus far to exchange my phone for another to see if maybe that one won't have these issues.

I really like the phone and would like to keep it, so today I got the Griffen Reveal from best buy, and it has work pretty well. It looks good, doesn't add much bulk, and has helped alot with reception. I have taken some pictures of speed test with my phone, first ones holding like I guess mr. jobs wants us to hold, the second set holding it naturally with my left hand (while the speedometer is up in that photo, it was just stuck from the previous test, it could not make a connection and was just frozen there for several minutes until i gave up). In my next post I will show more (5 pic. limit per post)

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    574.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    507.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    576.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    525.7 KB · Views: 75

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Now here in the next set, you can see that while my reception and speed is lower than when I was holding jobs' way, it was at least still able to maintain connection and complete the test.

Now, I'm in no way saying that apple deserves a pass for not aknowledging our problems and doing something about it if they can, nore am I saying you should go out and buy a case or hold the thing different or what other BS is going out there. BUT if you really like the phone and would like to keep it and have gotten no where with apple support, try this. It may not be a fix, but atleast its a way to deal with the issue while (hopefully) apple comes up with a true fix.

(sorry for all the pics being blurry, taking them with my 3g)

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    546.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    617.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    591.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    607.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    604.2 KB · Views: 45

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I feel bad for you.

When i tried it I started with 5 bars and the bars would go no lower than 2 and believe me I was using the almighty "DEATH GRIP"

last time I checked, 2 bars were perfectly adequate to make any type of call.

maybe some phones are genuinely defective?

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
So your one way to manage the reception issue is to buy a case like everyone else has been saying? I think this post is just to show off your case (which is nice :D) Because this has been said over and over on here since launch day.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
So your one way to manage the reception issue is to buy a case like everyone else has been saying? I think this post is just to show off your case (which is nice :D) Because this has been said over and over on here since launch day.

Well, that suggestion has been given out as a fix, and it's not, I don't feel like my phone has been fixed. However, at least now I think I can keep the phone and use it for the next years, and hopefully apple will truly fix the ones of us with truly faulty devices.

And maybe I wanted to show off my case just a little.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
I feel bad for you.

When i tried it I started with 5 bars and the bars would go no lower than 2 and believe me I was using the almighty "DEATH GRIP"

All that means is you started off with better signal then him.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
I feel bad for you.

Yeah, if all it was was drop a few bars, or if the death grip was a true death grip like wrapping my hands completely around the phone then I wouldn't care at all. But as you can see I'm just holding it naturally in my left hand and lose all connectivity. Plus the drain on my battery. I'm not expecting perfect reception, but I do expect it to keep a connection where my other phones, no matter how I hold it. Hopefully I can get it exchanged for one that's better, but I'm starting to think I might have to wait a couple of months until the reception thing has died down, cause the second I say reception issue they stop listening and start repeating the company spiel.

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
NO NO NO

The Griffin Reveal is a bad case [For now]
The case interferes with the Flash and it makes flash too bright

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Anything that resolves an issue is a fix. Therefore a case is a fix. I have the issue and have had a case on it since I got is and do not lose bars or have ever dropped a call.

Therefore it is a fix. No amount of spin can change that.

Anyone using a glass phone should have it in a case or face much more catastrophic problems than some lost bars. And when a case solves the issue and protects the phone then anyone who says that a case isn't needed is living in a dream world or just likes to whine and moan.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
What would getting a new phone with the same problems accomplish?

I saw a ticker on CNN yesterday that said Apple has acknowledged a problem and will fix it so i assume the next batch will be fine and some have reported no problems after getting another one. So im guessing it most likely wont have the same problem, if you get a new one. To assume they wont fix it imo is foolish.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Why dont you just take it back to Apple and get another one like everybody else is doing?

I have tried twice, both times apple refused. Trying one more time, if not I will just deal with the case and wait a couple of months before I try again.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I have tried twice, both times apple refused. Trying one more time, if not I will just deal with the case and wait a couple of months before I try again.

They refused? Havent heard anybody having that problem. Just drop it and break the glass. They havent been refusing those.
Really i havent heard anybody getting refused for anything. Some guy on here (spaz) turned his in 6 times because of stupid **** like the volume button wasnt flush enough for his liking so he turned it in and got a new one. The bezel wasnt quite right, so he turned it in.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
I didn't have the problem for the first couple of days I had my iPhone. I put my phone in my left pocket because I am usually doing something with my right arm, so it makes it easier to pull my phone out with my left hand. Well, two out of three of the last calls I tried to accept immediately failed because I answered it with my left hand.

I am really not going to change the way I answer a phone because Apple screwed up. Even if they fix the display for the bars, that does not solve the dropped calls issue.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I'm going to say this right now. THERE IS NO RECEPTION ISSUE.

Want some proof? Here's 3 of the 15 threads that discuss and have proof to back it up on why there is no reception issue, and how other phones have it, and how the design structure of the iPhone 4's antennae is actually better then most phones on the market.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/958699/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/958974/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/958923/

Enough with the threads, kthanxz.

Yes, when you touch the left hand side of the iPhone the bars drop. That doesn't mean it's a RECEPTION issue. ALL WIRELESS DEVICES lose signal when in touch with human contact, you just notice it more because of the millions of threads of people saying there is one.

If no one would have mentioned they had dropped bars, we wouldn't have seen this thread. Everyone's saying it now because once one person says something, the entire zoo notices it too. I notice it all the time on my 3GS that the bars drop in a special location. That's NORMAL and doesn't mean you're actually losing signal. Bars are inaccurate and can't actually depict how well of a signal you're truely getting.

Want some proof about the monkey see monkey do philosophy?

Did you know, if you look at your LCD screen on your 3GS that you'll notice about a centimetre of dead glass that's slightly beige? It goes around the entire EDGE of the screen and actually makes it look like the iPhone OS isn't stretched out properly.

Apple almost replaced my device when I complained until they realized, EVERY IPHONE HAS THAT. And they NEVER noticed it before.

Just be happy you have one of the best iPhones on the market, and as the great philosopher Mick Jagger once said, QUIT YER BITCHIN'.

/End of all these stupid threads.

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
I don't understand the reason you felt you needed to start a new topic instead of contributing to one of the many topic that already covers this exact same issue. Its pretty well known that putting a case on the phone resolves the reception issue.

:mad:

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
I saw a ticker on CNN yesterday that said Apple has acknowledged a problem and will fix it so i assume the next batch will be fine and some have reported no problems after getting another one. So im guessing it most likely wont have the same problem, if you get a new one. To assume they wont fix it imo is foolish.

I'm guesing you are talking about the software update that most likely won't fix anything.
Apple won't change the design as that will be admitting the problem.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Ha, it's funny how some of you get all riled up because some people are having problems with reception with the iPhone, so your are perfect, congrats let me get you star. If you don't want to see these threads either hope apple comes with an adequate fix or just ignore every user on this site that has problems.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'm going to say this right now. THERE IS NO RECEPTION ISSUE.

Want some proof? Here's 3 of the 15 threads that discuss and have proof to back it up on why there is no reception issue, and how other phones have it, and how the design structure of the iPhone 4's antennae is actually better then most phones on the market.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/958699/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/958974/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/958923/

Enough with the threads, kthanxz.

Yes, when you touch the left hand side of the iPhone the bars drop. That doesn't mean it's a RECEPTION issue. ALL WIRELESS DEVICES lose signal when in touch with human contact, you just notice it more because of the millions of threads of people saying there is one.

If no one would have mentioned they had dropped bars, we wouldn't have seen this thread. Everyone's saying it now because once one person says something, the entire zoo notices it too. I notice it all the time on my 3GS that the bars drop in a special location. That's NORMAL and doesn't mean you're actually losing signal. Bars are inaccurate and can't actually depict how well of a signal you're truely getting.

Want some proof about the monkey see monkey do philosophy?

Did you know, if you look at your LCD screen on your 3GS that you'll notice about a centimetre of dead glass that's slightly beige? It goes around the entire EDGE of the screen and actually makes it look like the iPhone OS isn't stretched out properly.

Apple almost replaced my device when I complained until they realized, EVERY IPHONE HAS THAT. And they NEVER noticed it before.

Just be happy you have one of the best iPhones on the market, and as the great philosopher Mick Jagger once said, QUIT YER BITCHIN'.

/End of all these stupid threads.

The Fanboy has spoken.

I wonder why Apple as of yesterday has said they will fix these "non problems"?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
The Fanboy has spoken.

I wonder why Apple as of yesterday has said they will fix these "non problems"?

By fix, they mean make it less apparent, if you did not read what they actually said.

All their doing is making the bars look less like they drop, that's about it.

Did Apple say "we're putting a new antennae in", or "we're changing the iPhone design"? Nope.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
By fix, they mean make it less apparent, if you did not read what they actually said.

All their doing is making the bars look less like they drop, that's about it.

Did Apple say "we're putting a new antennae in", or "we're changing the iPhone design"? Nope.

Also read that if they coated the antenna, that would fix the problem but i doubt Apple will come out and say they overlooked that. Replacing 2 million phones gets expensive but so does losing your customers.

I really like the iphone but mostly because i can jailbreak it and have it do more than they want you too and if there was no jailbreaking, id be using another phone since there are some really good ones that have come out and are about to come out.
Or , if there was a jailbreak for Android, id be using that but there isnt as far as i know so ill stick with what i got for now which is my durably built 2G which has never had a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.