One Way Video Chat with PC AIM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hooah, Jan 8, 2008.

1. hooah macrumors newbie

I'm really new to mac. I have a Macbook, equipped with iChat (of course) and the built-in iSight. My boyfriend is a cadet at the United States Military Academy, and has a PC laptop, a Dell if that matters. I want to be able to one-way video chat with him (so he can see me, and we can hear each other) but they are only allowed to use AIM there. In other words he is not allowed to use ANY OTHER messenger program. We used to use Skype until he found out AIM is the only program permitted. How do I get this to work?

2. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

iChat works with AIM. Sign in with an AIM screen name in iChat and start a video chat with him, and have fun. :)

3. wazgilbert macrumors regular

Fixed that for you.

I cannot get my 10.5 ichat setup to talk to a good buddy with AIM. every time I invite the 1 way video, they get the 'accept' request and when they do, I get a 'other person rejected' message and it quits.

I cannot test 2 way or ichat to ichat to test if it's an AIM compatibility because I have no Machead friends. :(

Please help me and the OP!!

4. caseyo macrumors newbie

Sorry, It's not possible. From the AIM FAQ:

Q: Is AIM 6.5 compatible with AIM 5.9, AOL 9.0 and iChat?
    A: AIM 6.5 works seamlessly with AIM 5.9, AOL 9.0 and iChat® services. You can send and receive IMs with your buddies using any of these clients. However, certain advanced features may not work across all clients right now. For example, voice chat with more than two people only works with other AIM 6.5 users, and video chat will work only between two AIM 6.5 users at this time.

I had the exact same problem with my friend. With AIM, I'm pretty sure video chat only works between two PC's or two Macs, not between them. It could work, but according to the AOL FAQ thing you need two AIM 6.5's, and the latest version for Mac is 4.7.

I know how frustrating it can be, me and my friend had to use Skype because he has a PC.

You could try getting your boyfriend to download an earlier version of AIM, It might work. I'm really not sure, sorry I couldn't help better. :/

5. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I can video chat via ichat (my friend uses aim) just fine. Sometimes we have connections issues, but a restart of aim on his side fixes it.

If you're having trouble, you could always download the aim client on your mac and not use ichat.

6. dynamix1 macrumors newbie

dynamix1

I was wondering if you had to adjust any network settings. I can go one way from mac to pc but not the other way. Any ideas? Using Vista with aim 6.8 and ichat on macbook.

7. noua12 macrumors newbie

One-way AIM video chat with PC user who can't download! HELP PLEASE!!!

So, my friend can't download anything on his computer at work. Is it still possible to one way video chat with AIM or is it like google where he has to download the video chat software?

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

ichat works fine with AIM... I was just video-chatting with my girlfriend last night, she has my MBP and I have a netbook. The picture quality sucked, but that's more a function of my slow internet then the protocol.

Also, there's a new AIM out for OS X. Here's the link...
    http://download.aim.com/client/mac