One week in...

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Napoleon7, May 30, 2013.

1. Napoleon7 macrumors newbie

I'm one week in for my new VZW GS4.

Things I like:
    • I like the larger screen size of the GS4 - it's nice for reading and web surfing.
    • I generally like the customizability of Android, though I haven't gotten too crazy with this yet - actually not sure if I will.
    • 4G LTE speed is very convenient.
    • SWYPE keyboard is pretty cool.
    • Back button - very useful, Apple should consider this in the next iPhone iteration. Doubtful that they will, but I believe that it would be nice.

Things that I expected to like more:
    • Widgets - I'm not saying that I don't like widgets, but I don't think that they bring much to the table, since most of them seem to just be Shortcuts to an App. I can see that they could save some time here and there with some specific task, but I'm not overly impressed just yet.
    • Google Integration - there is no doubt that Google is heavily integrated into Android, but Google has done a lot of good work on the iOS end recently. The Google services that I most commonly use are GMAIL and GMAPS, both of which I actually prefer the iOS version. I expected the Android versions to better more robust and well-designed, but it appears to be vice-versa.
    • Apps - most apps on iOS are more well built and updated more frequently - first that comes to mind is Zite. Also some apps unfortunately don't exist on both platforms - first that comes to mind is Lumosity. Before giving Android a try via GS4, I never would have considered myself one that is tied to a specific set of apps, which led me to believe that it would be a quick and easy transition, but I don't believe that Google/Amazon/Android offers a selection of apps that are on par with Apple's.

Through VZW, I have a 14 day return policy. I'm going to try over the next half week to see if I can further acquaint myself with Android - there are definitely a lot of perks to using Android over iOS, but I'm not certain that I'm the demographic that fully utilizes the aforementioned benefits.

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

One week in what? I suggest you add that to your title.

3. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

Also one week into my G4.

Have you tried SwiftKey? It's much better than the built-in Samsung keyboard. Having experienced it, I don't think I can ever go back to any other keyboard, especially the iOS one.

I haven't played around with widgets too much, but so far I do agree. So far, the only widget's I use are the SenseClock and Airdroid widgets. I'm inclined to agree with a lot of what you said.

That being said though, I don't think I can see myself going back to iOS. The sheer amount of freedom available on the Android is a refreshing breather, compared to the locked-down feeling of iOS. Small, simple stuff like a built-in file browser for my SD card, the ability to swap out default apps for 3rd party apps (Google voice/skype for phone, etc.) and the ease with which I can transfer files between my computer and phone without having to sync everything (i.e., syncing specific files like MKV through iTunes) is all wonderful stuff I always felt like were basic functions that were missing on the iPhone. The fact that I can install an app directly from my computer without having to have a cable, or even the phone for that matter, near me is so cool.

PS: Have you tried Airdroid yet? Highly recommend it.

4. Napoleon7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll bet that if either one of you had read the first line, you would have figured out what I was talking about.

----------

Yes, I agree - third party keyboards are far superior to the built in Samsung keyboard.

I haven't tried Airdroid yet - will give it a look.

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

That's not the point. The point is that it's nice to know what the thread is about without having to open it.

(and yes I did read the first line but that's all I read)

6. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

i wish more people would put complete thoughts in the titles instead of vague crap like "did you know that..." or "one week in..."