One Week on an iPad Mini 1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SB-MBP, Mar 27, 2017.

1. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

Since my MacBook Pro is now gone I was lent an iPad mini 1 to use to fill the void. It's been one week. Here's how it's going.

VERY SLOW. it lags like nothing normal. Some apps don't work as it's limited to 9.3.5 but given that this iPad is now also 5 years old there's a lot of remarkable aspects too.

Overall it's been good though. Typing is much nicer than I expected. The Office apps are bloody fantastic. The software is much better and more useful than my iPad 2 in 2012. The screen whilst not retina is nice and colours look good. Build quality is fantastic. Battery life is still amazing and this is 4 years old. Portability is much better, and it's easier to put the iPad down and focus on what's around me I feel compared to a laptop.

I'm seriously convinced that an iPad can cater for my computing needs completely. If only it was faster. Though of course newer models will be!

I university work on Office, manage my photos, listen to music, browse the web, participate on various forums online, blog, text via iMessage, video call, do the odd spot of Minecract and I must say the iPad does it much better than I thought.

Another family member is committing to lend me their iPad Air 1 for a few months to continue this into the long term before deciding myself at I'll do - Windows laptop, new MacBook, new iPad, Chromebook or android tablet are my options. Money isn't so much an issue. But of course, the lowest cost best experience is what I'm after. Not sure how much faster the iPad Air 1 will be but I'm sure better than the Mini 1. I'll be buying a keyboard case for it.

Why aren't other people doing this iPad only lifestyle?!

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I can't go iPad only and I have circa 2010 Windows 7 desktops and laptops for stuff the iPad can't do. However, the iPad has been my primary device ever since I first purchased an iPad 3 LTE back in 2012. I had an iPad 2 prior but the addition of Retina display made a huge difference for me.

I have no qualms spending $1K+ on my iPad. I probably use it at least 8 hours a day so well worth it. I'll still replace the desktop and laptop if they break down but likely with inexpensive models.

3. bufffilm, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I'm not sure what to make of your post.

Did you not use an iPad or Android tablet ever, before a week ago?

Tablets can be more than just consumption devices...all depends on the user, what they want done, and their budget.

Not everything will work on a tablet...but your post makes me think you never used a tablet until recently.

And that's ok if true, but many of us are long time users and they (tablets) have their place, just as laptops, PCs, and smartphones have their's.

I bought my first tablet in 2011. My first smartphone came years later.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Why aren't I doing an iPad only lifestyle? Because it's still easier (for me) to do most work on a PC.

5. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

My only other tablet experience was in 2011 when I bought an iPad 2 as a replacement for my MacBook White. Back then, there was no Office and exporting was always a pain. iCloud wasn't as well integrated. The display whilst just as immersive wasn't retina. Minecraft back then on iOS was a cruel joke in comparison to how great it is now. I found myself using peers computers for small tasks like Office tweaking and occasionally Minecraft. The rest the iPad did fine.

Eventually I had enough money saved to the point where I could sell the iPad and buy a MacBook Pro. This was my first Pro machine and the metal frame and full Minecraft ability at the time overwhelmed me and I enjoyed it for many years.

Until I am where I am today and now I'm a student so I have to think a LOT before spending money on high end devices and wether or not it's worth it.

This recent experience has made me realise the iPad has come of age and shows much more promise for the future as iOS versions of software become more advanced and Apple welcome it with the Pro level performance.

It can't convert large files or run virtual machines like a full fledged PC, but for my needs and I assume a large majority of others im really surprised this isn't more of 'a thing' for people to buy iPads instead of Windows laptops on a budget.

I get the whole thing about needing a full PC as I was sort of the same after my previous iPad 2 only experience but I'm learning now that those concerns - for me - are moRe of a mental block than an actual barrier!

6. pieshopUK macrumors newbie

Tim, why are you trolling these forums? Get back to polishing your new donut HQ, or maybe get the team working on some mac updates.

7. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

There are a number of things Apple could add to the iPad to bring it to a level where it becomes a viable replacement to a laptop or PC.

As it is right now, strictly a niche device.

8. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

Not every body uses Adobe programmes or edits video daily at a Hollywood level. Nor are we all programmers or pirating software and content through torrents. And a lot of us don't have time nor wish to spend a lot of time playing PC gaming titles. Desktop Office is the best productivity suite in the world, but the features we've got on iPad seem to hit the spot for many. And as far as I can see Microsoft are bringing more features every few months.

All I'm saying is, it can be a PC replacement for most basic users.. but when they ask us experts (enthusiasts in the family etc) we're telling them no, it's not - since it might not be for us. From now on I know what I'll be preaching ;-)

9. hanser macrumors regular

My wife is still liking her ipad mini 1 and using it a lot, also for teaching at school. It is sometimes slow, but bearable, and it runs stable. Still better than the Windows PCs we had until 2012 :)

10. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

I need Windows for work. I do AV programming for a living so I need access to AMX, Crestron and Microsoft development software. I use this software through VMWare fusion in macOS. My gaming PC plays games and serves as a spare machine for work.

11. profets macrumors 68040

I'd argue it's far from a niche device. Do you really think the majority of users (not tech users, developers, or MR forum goers), but users worldwide really need a Mac or Windows PC for the computing they do? Heck, I'd say for 95% of people their smartphone is now their primary computing device.

12. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Other people definitely are doing that lifestyle. I think in particular: people who don't use the Internet for much but the basics (e-mail, the Web, photos, reading, Facebook) and the senior generation who didn't spend the desktop PC era with a nerdiness streak and appreciate the stark simplicity of iOS. I'd say the Mac is either more of a niche device than iPads or will be in the next few years.

I'm not there yet – I probably spend most of my waking hours with my iMac, and I get the impression Apple's strategy for the future of the Mac is to make it the best niche device it can be; hence the narrowing vision and fewer updates people like to complain about.

And yeah; the original iPads feel very slow now, and I think the pixellation and weight have actually given them some short-term nostalgia value. Good luck with the choice. ^ _ ^

13. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Yes, I do.

Don't get me wrong...the iPad, as it is now, is a somewhat creditable tool...but far from a replacement for laptop/PC.

And as long as Apple doesn't extend its capabilities to where it can be a serviceable replacement for the laptop/PC...it is destined to stay a niche product.

14. profets macrumors 68040

And how do you think that the majority of people worldwide really make use of their Macs or Windows PCs?

Don't get me wrong either - I know there's a lot of people who need Windows or MacOS for a lot of different computing needs. But the iPad's capabilities are more than sufficient for the majority of people. In the most cases iOS is probably a much easier and friendlier OS for most people to use as well.

15. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

When I say the iPad is a niche product...that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It is what it is.

16. profets macrumors 68040

Wouldn't niche imply that it's a very small piece of the market? Isn't the iPad selling comparably to PCs from all manufacturers?

17. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Niche doesn't define scope.They can sell millions and millions...still can be considered niche.

The iPad runs a phone OS, it does limited multi-tasking with apps on the split-windows, is too touch-oriented which limits what you can potentially do (compared to a laptop/PC)...I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

For many as-is, the iPad might do it...won't for me without some additions.

Like anything, ymmv.

18. bubbleboil macrumors member

I think android is closer than iPad to a Windows replacement (ignore the slow uodates).

1) uploading files to websites
    2) USB peripheral such as mouse and keyboard ( Android can even compile the code for audio. But still lacking drivers for many USB peripherals)
    3) transfer files from 1 thumb drive to another thumb drive
    4) for development. (you can built android apps directly on Android, run as sql server etc)

These are the only things holding me back from using iPad as full time machine.

In fact, I do hope IOS can evolve faster to force Microsoft and Google to improve their OS. Windows is too crap and Android is evolving too slow.

19. profets macrumors 68040

So more people could potentially be using iOS than Windows/Mac and it would still be considered niche?

Because it's running iOS, which has some limits compared to Windows/MacOS, doesn't mean there that it is better for most people and/or have advantages for most people.

Yes, for you it won't without some additions. Doesn't mean that it isn't sufficient for most people. And perhaps a much better option for most people.

Look at the big picture. Would you disagree that most people are not already using a smartphone as their primary computer?

20. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

All things considered, the iPad has taken over the majority of tasks for me since I picked up my original iPad. I have found there is very little I do that can't be done with it. For those few things I have a PC and a Mac at home to remote into (Jump Desktop). I don't find it limiting at all. I find myself teaching myself new ways of doing things, not unlike learning DOS, then Windows (or the old Mac OS to OSX). Every new shift in computing you need to relearn how to do things, same here. And calling it a consumption device shows that people don't see how touch is becoming more important in computing.

21. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

Apples vision for the future of computing IS the iPad.

In my opinion, iOS is slowly on its way to succeeding macOS completely.

Whilst frustrating, it's a good thing they aren't rushing it..

Otherwise we'd end up with the mess of Windows - confused UI, half devices can't run it well, not all software works well on all computers, poor build quality of hardware etc. OR Android , same story but less merits than Windows.

The new 2017 iPad and its successors to take its place of low cost entry product will blow Android and Windows devices out of the water as iOS accumulates more and more competence as a full PC OS as such..

Personally I'm feeling this NOW for my needs..