One Win7 license for Bootcamp + Fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gguerini, Feb 5, 2010.

1. gguerini macrumors regular

gguerini

Hello guys,

I'm thinking about buying a original Student Win7 license. It's really cheap and I think it's worth it since I (unfortunately) use Windows (Vmware Fusion) everyday to work (.NET developer). But I would like to play some games as well.. but I know Fusion is not the best solution.

Can I buy only one Win7 license and install in the same machine twice? One on a Bootcamp partition and another on a Fusion VM? Will I have problems activating both copies?

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

New Virtual Machine Library — Get easy access to common tasks with the new Home view: install guest operating systems, migrate physical PCs, set up Boot Camp virtual machine, or download virtual appliances. Discover and import virtual machines created by Parallels Desktop or Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac.

from http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/features.html

That means, you can install Windows on Boot Camp and later set VMWare Fusion to use that Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine.

3. gguerini thread starter macrumors regular

gguerini

I know, but people say the performance is not good due to the slow speed on reading/writing on the NTFS partition. This is the only reason I want to keep it separed. Also I don't like to mix games & work. :)

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Try it, worst case you'll have to call MS to activate and tell them that it is only installed on one machine.

B

5. gguerini thread starter macrumors regular

gguerini

Good! :)

6. danahn17 macrumors 6502

It will be fine. I've done it with my Parallels and Bootcamp on my computer.

You will most likely need to activate your Windows twice--even if you are using your Bootcamp partition with Fusion (at least that's what happened to me with Parallels). Shouldn't be a problem though; just give them a call and they'll take care of it.

If you call, I findthat talking about Apple / Virtual Machine things gets confusing with the reps. I suggest you just tell the guy you had to reformat or something.

Alternatively, there is a way in Windows that allows you to activate over the phone using an automated service.

One thing to note.. if you have an OEM version of Windows, things may get sticky as its supposed to be attached to one system only. I'm not sure how that works with the VM and all but i just thought i'd put that out just so you are aware.