Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
I have an A3 scanner that will now only work on Windows. Bummer!

I will need a Windows version prior to '7' according to the Manufacturers website.

So 1/ will bootcamp be the way to go - as only one piece of hardware will be running on it?
2/ once I have a scan how do I get it into my Mac system?
3/ which Windows version should it be and where best to get it?

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
have a read here http://www.vmware.com/uk/products/desktop_virtualization/fusion/overview.html

thats one option on the mac (there are others). Basically it allows you to run another operating system (like Windows) in a window on your mac without rebooting. Its good if you only need windows for a few tasks and dont need to install a complete bootcamp version of it.

I personally use a VM of Windows 7 for running CorelDraw. its nice to run it without restarting the mac all the time, and it allows me to share all the computer resources between the two.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Still a bit lost. DUH!

I suppose it is really the thought of spending out just to find it still will not work. :-(

Just to save the scanner. There are no other A3 scanners out there within my budget.

Still no pain no gain.

Best options anyone.

Last edited:

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
First thing first.

What is the year and model type of your computer?

1) first get a legal copy of Windows XP/7/8. Take note the 2012 machines can only have Windows 7 or 8 with not all the drivers there. Until Apple brings out 10.8.3, your best best is to stick with Windows 7.

2)I am thinking that you want to install Window 7. You can do this either of 3 ways. You can use BootCamp. BootCamp allows you to install Windows from a partition you set to be (Directions are on that is in BootCamp App), thus have to modes... Windows mode and Mac Mode, you have to restart (switch) into the one you want to use.

3)This third way is what I think people have you confused on. You buy and download Paralles, VMware Fusion, or, virtualbox (Virtualbox for someone who knows what they are doing). Parallels and Fusion easy to setup and also you can install Windows XP/Vista/7/8 in the virtal machine. Going this way you are taking a speed hit because you are running MAC OS X and Windows running together, so make sure you have enough memory to run those programs. Fusion and Parallels offer free trail versons. so you could download one or both and try them out.

Hugh

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.