One Year Anniversary of 15" rMBP! Replace or not replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajcadoo, May 23, 2013.

1. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

My one year is approaching, and the screen ghosting is getting noticeably worse each month. I don't even need a Gray background anymore to notice it.

My one-year warranty is also approaching and I am wondering if I should schedule an appointment at the Genius Bar to get this screen replaced?

I don't, however, want a screen that has less color saturation, as I have been reading reports that's the case. Also, is it still a lottery with the replacement screen? Or has Apple gotten their act together and realized which screens are bad and which are good?

2. freddobonanza macrumors newbie

If it is a bad as you are saying, I would definitely be taking advantage of that warranty.. The least you could do is take it into an apple store and talk to them about it ;)

3. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I think you would be stupid not to, that's what warranty is for and it sounds like you have a legit problem that would likely be covered.

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Let the ghosting get worse each month and wait for your warranty to expire then take it in to Apple and pay to get it fixed.

----

Do you really need to ask such a daft question? Jesus.

5. peejack macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry I don't mean to be harsh, but what a ridiculous question.

So what you're saying is:

Your rMBP has a faulty screen and the warranty is nearly up should you take it in before it runs out or wait for it to run out and pay for what you could of got for free...hmmmmm :rolleyes: Tough one.

6. SMDBill macrumors 6502

In addition to the other posts, buy Applecare as well before the year is up. Such an expensive machine and it has already failed once.

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Get it fixed now and buy AppleCare for it. No excuse for not buying it on such an expensive laptop.

8. jozeppy26, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013

jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

I'll actually respond to your concerns without attitude directed towards you. I am in a similar situation. I have an LG screen with severe IR in less than 1 min noticeable on all color backgrounds (except white). I too am afraid to get a Samsung display with distorted colors, yellow tints, light leak, etc. The colors on the LG screen are absolutely beautiful, it's just the IR is getting too bad to be able to ignore anymore. I bought my rMBP as a refurb in Feb and it was the first revision LG with severe IR. In other words, I'd venture a guess that Apple has not addressed the issue and you may very well get the screen replaced with another LG first revision. I do plan on taking mine in, however, with the goal of eventually getting a second revision LG which has had no reports of IR so far. We shall see.

On a side note, the entire concept of AppleCare is beyond ridiculous IMO. You should never have to pay for Apple (or any other company) to replace a faulty product, regardless when the faulty part is noticed. A manufacturing defect is a manufacturing defect. It's not your fault and shouldn't require an extended warranty to be covered. Just so ridiculous. I've had iPad smart covers replaced because the magnets were coming through. No warranty check, instantly replaced. It's a manufacturing defect. Why the h is the MacBook different? Give me a device with a faulty part and I expect you to replace it with a functioning part since you didn't sell me the advertised product. In fact, they legally are required to according to state product liability laws.

9. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Don't wait any longer, a replacement screen is not cheap.....

10. ajcadoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

I would rather have IR than a poorly color calibrated screen. That is why I am hesitant.

11. B... macrumors 68000

B...

You can calibrate the screen yourself or download a .icc yourself from MR which is for a Samsung screen.

12. Lexical macrumors regular

Just to throw my opinions in here… I just had my screen replaced and if it wasn't under warranty it would have cost £438… Also, when i got home my screen did have a yellow tint, however i calibrated it myself, its quite easy. You can download an ICC profile and i did try this but it looked awful on my display and made the tint worse. I just did it myself and it looks perfect again now. I suppose very display is different and you should set it up how you like it.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

but you can always calibrate the screen yourself. I say if you have problems with the laptop, they'll not get better but worse. Use the warranty as its intended for.

14. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

I would try and find an ICC for your specific revision screen rather than simply manufacturer. I found a beautiful one for my LG SJA1

15. Bear macrumors G3

Get your system repaired. If there's a problem with the new screen talk to Apple about it (if you can't calibrate it yourself).

Also, it sounds like buying AppleCare before the warranty expires might be a good idea as AppleCare is less than the cost of a new screen out of warranty.

16. ajcadoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

I went ahead with the repair. I got a Samsung screen. I can't notice a difference between the two color-wise and I already did a 10-minute IR test and it is looking good!

Saved this much money since it was under warranty: [​IMG]

Purchasing AppleCare right now! Even though I'm not happy with the $300+ price tag...

17. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

You can get Apple Care for around $225-250 online (B&H Photo, Ebay, etc.), so don't pay full retail price!

I'm glad you got the Samsung display, welcome to the club!

Thanks for sharing the "repair costs" pickupo by the warranty!

18. ajcadoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

Yeah, I will be purchasing on eBay. Much cheaper there. No prob!

19. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Guess I jumped in a little late...but as you've noticed...and will continue to notice, the Samsung screen is incredible. As is a good LG (without IR obviously) when it comes to color gamut, viewing angles, brightness/contrast...et al. I know there have been previously claimed reports stating LG was better in most other areas when it came down to color reproduction...but as a photo and video geek myself....and owner of the same machine as you (2012 LG initially, changed for a Samsung about four months post purchase)...there's hardly a difference between the two. Especially any kind of 'noticeable' difference. They're both excellent...and the two biggest/largest in volume manufacturers of panels. I did understand your concern. I thought the same initially.

B&H is where I grab mine. eBay is fine if you go with the right seller. Be aware though, you can be 'had' on eBay with AppleCare. B&H sells it for &105 discount for our machines. $244

Enjoy your rig man. It's a damn good computer....and my appreciation for it has only grown since I bought mine. I'm very excited for all manufacturers of displays to hurriedly jump on this HiDPI bandwagon. Windows to figure out their scaling in Win 8---and app developers to continue their updating of their software to take advantage of the extra resolution. To me...again, as a niche video geek...this is a BIG change. HUGE!!! As excellent as the transition between SD and HDtv. When folks see real, true source shot RAW 4k footage on a 4k monitor....I'm sure their opinion will mirror mine....at least those of us that frequent these tech boards:)

For the iPhone, IMHO...retina was absolutely revolutionary as I turned 40 when the '4' released. The same time my eyes starting having focusing issues with close content and I'm a bookworm. The 'new' iPad 3/4...again, a HUGE bonus for my needs...and to back up the two with the high resolution monitor on the rMBP, WOW! I'm seriously living what I thought was a fantasy just a couple years ago. I actually didn't realize text could look this good!