One year later, how are the white 3g backs looking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MikeyTree, Jun 8, 2009.

1. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

I've decided to buy a iPhone 3g, but now I have to decide whether to buy the black or white. I'm inclined to buy a white one, because I don't like how the black smudges.

For those who bought one last year, do the white backs still look good, or is there discoloration?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My black 3G is scuffed (which is different from scratched) but I think it looks great. It's a uniform texture that adds character, but doesn't look bad.

Never had any case or protection on it. Bought it last July.

4. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

I'm wondering the same thing, I'd like to get the White one but wondering about dirt. Although I have a case on mine and after dropping it yesterday in the middle of Sam's Club from cart-handle-level, I'm going to continue using a case for forever.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Got the white one.

The silver Apple is a bit scratched, but apart from that it's more or less as it as the day I got it (July 11th last year).

I keep it in my jeans front pocket about half the time, some jacket pocket (often the breast pocket) the rest of the time. Rarely have anything else in the pocket with the phone, but both keys and coins have gotten in there with it on a few occasions.

Never had any shields or cases for it.

6. brvheart macrumors 6502

pretty fraking scratched up but it is a phone and I treat it as such :)

7. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

8. Terdinus Asus macrumors member

The glossy coating has worn off in parts so it has those cloudy dull spots, especially at the corners...I don't know what you call those, or if there is some sort of polish out there that I can use to fix it!

But you really can't see it at most angles.

9. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I have a White iPhone. I can't see any scratches on the back apart from some very minor ones on the Apple logo. I have it in my jean pockets by itself though. And I alternate from having an Incase slider on and off.

I had the InvisibleShield for the first month, but it became discolored after a while and turned an off-white color. So yeah it's possible to return with their lifetime warranty, but it's an inconvenience of sending it in, paying for shipping, waiting for it to arrive, and having your phone unprotected in the meantime. You also have to reapply it once it arrives.

My back looks really new, but I try not to lay it on rough surfaces.

10. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Mine is still very white. I have not had a case on mine in about 5-6 months. It looks every bit as good as when I bought it a year ago.

11. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Just get a white incase slider and it will look perfect

12. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

I've had my white 3G since they came out and have never used a case or any sort of protector. The back of my phone is still in very good condition with just 1 light buff mark and scrapes in the corners (I've dropped the phone a few times)

I'm sure if I used some cleaner it would look pretty much brand new.

13. Noelmel macrumors regular

does the white one have the "chrome bezel" too? or is it white on white every picture i see even on apple.com tech specks shows the front if the black one and the back or side of the white one lol

14. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

Yes it does.

15. Noelmel macrumors regular

man i couldnt decide and i was ordering online and picked black i like the white a little more but was worried about it getting dirty oh well ill prolly have a case on it anyways lol

16. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I've had a white 16GB 3G for 9 months and it looks great. If you inspect it closely, you can see some tiny scuffs on the apple logo, but you'll be hard pressed to find any scuffs on the white plastic. My iPhone has seem some use and it looks as good as the day I got it...

Bryan

17. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I kept mine in an in-case slider, and it looks really great. I never did have any cracks or anything...

I kept it pristine, and for what? I just ordered the new one. I am going to try to sell this one. But I really do not like eBay.

18. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

Mine is in very good shape, hubby has the black one his looks dirty all the time. I don't even use a case.

19. badboy600 macrumors member

Without a case, its almost impossible to keep the white one looking new. Im def getting black next time