Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
What's the difference? If I install it with AppStore or if I install it with the stand a lone installer from MS?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
They should be the same. The advantage of installing it from the App Store is that it will automatically remain updated.

Reactions: southerndoc

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
They should be the same. The advantage of installing it from the App Store is that it will automatically remain updated.
That's true but they don't have the M1 version there yet sadly.

Between, if you delete a file from your OneDrive folder at your Mac does it show in the local trashcan on the Mac for you?
For me it don't show in the trashcan but it's deleted from the OneDrive folder.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
What's the difference? If I install it with AppStore or if I install it with the stand a lone installer from MS?
The directly downloaded one is Apple Silicon native and keeps itself up to date without needing to run the App Store updates or the standalone Microsoft Autoupdate app. There really are no negatives to just using the Microsoft download.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just to be different...

I have a onedrive account (basic free version).
I keep it mainly for sharing items "publicly" (such as pics for an online ad).

I don't use any proprietary MS software at all to access it.
I just log in using a web browser, and add/delete items that way...

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Between, if you delete a file from your OneDrive folder at your Mac does it show in the local trashcan on the Mac for you?
For me it don't show in the trashcan but it's deleted from the OneDrive folder.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I use the standalone download of OneDrive. It also automatically updates itself and you can choose the Silicon version if that is what you need. I have found the standalone version is updated more rapidly than the store version for some reason.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I prefer to use the App Store version so I don't have a Microsoft autoupdate application running to further use battery life/resources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.