OneDrive Sync Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Traverse, May 10, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I have 30GB of OneDrive storage, so I decided to actually use it over Dropbox, but I've already run into a problem.

I opened iPhoto and exported all my pictures as PNGs for backups to my desktop. I dragged this folder to my OneDrive and got the follow notice on two folders.

I used the terminal to find the path and all folders contain characters like user/name/desktop.....

Why am I getting this notice?

Attached Files:

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I ran into the same problem. OneDrive seems to follow the Windows file naming conventions and prohibits certain characters in file names. Somewhere in the name you have an invalid character. It might be in one of the folder names or the file name itself. OneDrive also has a length limitation on path names.

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thanks. This service sure isn't as polished as Dropbox, but I only have 7 GB of Dropbox whereas I have 30GB of OneDrive from Office University.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No its not but if you can live with some of the rough edges, its a good service, especially if you use Office.

5. MainStream macrumors member

MainStream

My issue with OneDrive on my Mac is that it won't sync large files. I have a number of folders with files between 5mb & 10mb. I have never been able to get them to sync properly using OneDrive. I continue to use Dropbox which works great, but on my iPad instead of being able to use Excel, Word and PowerPoint with OneDrive I have to open the file in Dropbox and then open it again in one of the MS Office apps. It works...... but at the same time is not real convenient.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I have a large mixture of files, some in the 30 to 40 MB range and haven't had any problem with syncing. I've only been using OneDrive for a few weeks and have less than 5 gb stored online.

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have 130GB of space on my OneDrive. And yeah, the filename issue happened to me too. There's also a 2GB limit on files that was also an issue for me. Kinda annoying since 30 minutes of iPhone video footage can go past 2GB and then so can final renders from most professional editing suites.

8. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Yeah, but 130 GB :)eek:) have got to count for something! :)

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Oh yeah, I just uploaded 2GB worth of textures the other day to use between my iPad and Mac. Definitely is worth it!

10. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I sometimes get that notice even when the file names don't have any of the forbidden characters.

11. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

How do you feel about their privacy policy? I have no expectation of privacy for anything stored in the "cloud", but I have read that Microsoft's policies are worse than Dropbox.

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Ehh, it doesn't really apply to me. I keep legal papers in my external hard drive and don't upload them. These are not "backup services" after all. They're made for you to store content to be used on multiple devices. If you don't need to do that with certain things, then keep them away from the cloud.

13. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I agree that it is smart to differentiate "backup" from "synchronization" programs. There is overlap in many programs... but I think the usage is very different.

I personally use cloud services for both:

Cloud Backup: Crashplan
    Could Syncronization: Dropbox, iCloud, and IMAP email services

All of the above overlap, but how I use them is different.

Which brings me to my reason for opening old threads:

I installed OneDrive yesterday specifically to sync just one file... an Excel spreadsheet that I update very often from two different Macs... and reference even more often. I have been having problems with synchronization... so I've decided to NOT keep the Excel file in OneDrive... because if it does not sync, I risk updating an out of date spreadsheet and have data corruption.

My workflow is as follows:
    • My Excel file is stored in dropbox, and edited on two different macs
    • Hourly, the CCC clones the file to OneDrive on my iMac (which is on 24/7)
    • On demand, I want to view (read-only) the file on my iPad using Excel for iPad. The 1 hour update latency is acceptable
    My problem is that OneDrive on the iMac does not seem to consistently update OneDrive cloud service. For example, I updated the file last night at about 11:00 PM, and verified that the local OneDrive folder was updated with the latest file. but as of this morning, the OneDrive on the cloud was still showing a 6PM file date... hence it was not syncing.

One thing that I noticed was that trying to view that excel spreadsheet on OneCloud, that it was listed as being open. This really does not make any sense... unless I do not know how to use Excel for iPad. I do not have Office 365, so the iPad version of Excel is "read-only".

Question: Does anyone have experience using Excel for iPad and give me advice on why my spreadsheet is not syncing consistently to the cloud?

Thanks in advance.

/Jim