OneNote editor for Mac and connecting to Novell servers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crewsd, Feb 16, 2009.

1. crewsd macrumors newbie

Well, my school is a laptop school meaning you have to have a laptop from grade 6 through 12. They recommend Lenovo laptops but you can get whatever you want, they just wont support anything other than Lenovo. So I'm kind of in the dark here with my MacBook Pro.

They have Novell servers, and they use OneNote. Two things that I have yet to see work on a Mac. So here are my questions:

1. Is there any software (free, if possible) that can edit and save OneNote 2007 files?
    2. What do I have to do to connect to a Novell 4.91 server from OS X?

Thanks a ton.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

For simplicity's sake your best option would be to visualize Windows and have full compatibility with the schools software.

At the college where I work I am a computer technician and we are also a Novell shop. We have afp setup so that all you have to do is authenticate with the server to get access to your files. I doubt they have afp setup if no one has any Macs in he school. For printers if they are using iPrint you are in luck because there is a Mac client on Novell's website but you have to have an account to download the file. Any login scripts that they have would not apply to you since you can't run the Novell client. Also they will not be able to manage your Mac with ZENworks, if they are using it.

There are a few software companies that have makeshift Novell Mac clients that might also work for you but you would have to pay for them. I do not have any direct experience with them since we rolled our own solution. Thiese might be an alternative to virtualizing Windows but I still think that is your best option if your not that technical savvy and do not have direct access to the servers on the network.

3. crewsd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying. I already have XP on Boot Camp, it's just very tedious to have to restart just to do sync my OneNote notebooks to a Novell server...

Anyone got ideas about OneNote?