OneNote for iOS - now with handwriting!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by sracer, Feb 19, 2015.

1. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

As reported by The Verge Microsoft just released an update to OneNote that supports freehand drawing. Finally!

This now makes using OneNote across platforms much more viable (for me at least).

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Man, you beat me to it! :)

Anyway, just yesterday I deleted OneNote across all my devices because of lack of support. Now I'm going to re-download the iPad version and give it a shot. If it works well than I might give OneNote another shot.

The OCR is a nice touch too.

3. sracer thread starter macrumors 603

sracer

I though that it would be a slam-dunk for me to start using OneNote across my platforms until... I discovered that the latest version of OneNote for OSX requires OSX 10.10.

Microsoft giveth, Microsoft taketh away. :(

4. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

What!? You're right.

You know, I had been using OneNote on 10.9 as reasoning that Office:2015 will run on 10.9, but I guess the rumors are true...why Microsoft...

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Now if only it will support active stylus, like the Jot Touch or Pencil.

6. sracer thread starter macrumors 603

sracer

I think that the release of this function now is probably because Apple will be providing official platform-wide support for active stylus.

7. bikejack macrumors newbie

Any one know how to undo handwriting on a note with this new handwriting feature. Thanks in advance.

----------

Figured it out. There is an eraser button you click on at the top of the screen.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

So excited about this, you have no idea.

I use a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 because I needed to be able to capture "digital" handwritten notes in a way I could make use of them on multiple platforms (Mac, iOS, Windows) and have access via the cloud. While there are some great note apps for the iPad (Noteshelf is my favorite), none have had good cross-platform two-way sync with cloud storage systems. A couple offer Evernote upload, but it's not quite what I'm after.

OneNote on Windows, Surface and Android allow editing of text, ink notes, OCR, etc. The iOS versions could always display the handwritten notes though I couldn't use a stylus to add additional text or diagrams.

Very pleased to hear it's been added to the iPad version. Not critical on the iPhone given the smaller screen size (even my iPhone 6 Plus is too small to really bother with writing on the screen).

OneNote is a great app and so happy it's getting good attention from Microsoft.

9. ozaz macrumors 65816

How strong are the rumours on this? Haven't really been following, but would be very happy if it happened.

10. sracer thread starter macrumors 603

sracer

There have been persistent rumors of an "iPad Pro". Speculation and wishful thinking have been swirling around. That's about it.

I'm hopeful enough that it will happen that I'm holding off upgrading my iPad 4 for a while.