OneNote for iPad doesn't support inking, but the new Android version does.

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Traverse, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

I haven't had sync issues yet, but the lack of inking keeps me from really embracing it on the ipad.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Now that I think about it... it might not technically be OneNote (or OneDrive) with the syncing issues... I use Outline+ in iOS. That might be the culprit. (a OneNote clone that DOES support inking)

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

I've heard good things about that app, but I was just trying to give Microsoft time to update it's apps before my next term starts.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

We don't have pressure sensitivity on iOS yet, that's probably why. People with the Samsung Notes and the Wacom Android tablets do, and I guess that's a niche they are happy to go after.

7. inmnbob macrumors member

Without Wacom or other similar pen why would you want to ink? I never got the quality that was worth it. I do have a Note 3 and love the inking in OneNote.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Just because it doesn't have a proper screen for the special pens doesn't make it unusable. I've been drawing on these screens since the original iPhone now, I've turned in final projects of drawn art from a Kindle Fire, and I've been doing my brainstorm sketches on my iPad Mini since I got it.

It's not perfect, and I wouldn't use it for live note taking in lectures, but if I'm by myself jotting stuff down, it works fine. Apps that let you write in a small space at the bottom of the screen really help.

I'd rather buy a $1 notebook that I can snap pictures of and upload to Evernote than spend money on an additional device that I probably won't use otherwise.

That's how I feel about the Surface and every Android device. I have a Wacom at home plugged into my computer, and that's where I limit my drawing, and that's just the way it's going to be whether I like it or not.

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I have found the quality of the standard capacitive inking on the iPad to be excellent. I can't say the same for capacitive inking on Android and Surface (non-Pro) tablets.

10. inmnbob macrumors member

You can't compared capacitive inking to Wacom. I have all the pen solutions and control take notes on ipad because it isn't high enough quality. I have a cheap 8" windows tablet with wacom and OneNote. Even the livescribe is really better than writing with a qtip

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I don't use a q-tip stylus. Anyways, I find the Adonit Jot and penultimate and notability to be excellent combinations on the iPad. Obviously it has limitations compared to active digitizers, but for what I use it for it is adequate.

So you have ALL the pen solutions?!

12. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Jot is okay versus the S-pen or Wacom based digitizers . The handwriting recognition is my main reason for converting to the Samsung Note. If I was still using the iPad, l'd probably still be using Noles plus. Palm rejection and note taking apps is where the iPad wins.

The OneNote update for android was awesome though. Still some quirks that make it not entirely perfect though.

13. GoingDark macrumors 6502

It makes sense to prioritize inking features for the platform that explicitly supports pen/stylus input.

That doesn't mean iPad is never going to get it, it just means that it was probably a higher priority for them to get inking support available on something like the Galaxy Note, where a stylus is included and an integral part of the user experience, than on the iPad, where a stylus is an optional accessory that only a small subset of users ever take advantage of.