OneNote replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cubby38, Jun 29, 2012.

1. cubby38 macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good note-taking app that you can use on a macbook pro similar to MS's OneNote? I need to be able to type notes on top of, or somehow associated with different note/presentation formats, mainly .pdf files and powerpoints.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. jamin100, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  3. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Evernote is good, and it's free on all platforms. It also syncs across all platforms [Mac, Windows, Mobile].

If you don't need the sync part, and you have a Mac, I'd look at Word 2011 Notebook feature. If you use Outlook 2011 then you can use Flags, Reminders, etc. along with all the various tabs, etc.

If you want a one/one replacement, the closest I've found is Circus Ponies. But you'd need to shell out like $50.

EDIT: Oops. Forgot another freebie; Growly Notes. A lot like ON. But again, single platform.

4. jojoba macrumors 68000

I use Circus Ponies and Evernote. The former acts more like a 'proper' pen and paper notebook where I'll make notes from lectures, seminars, meetings, and so on. Evernote is for shorter notes, reminders, and notes I make on the go.

5. cubby38 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've used Evernote before, mainly to record lectures, etc, but I'm really looking for something that allows you to import actual slides (either pdf or powerpoint) that allows you to annotate on them, not just write notes for the lecture. Do circus ponies or growly note have that function? A majority of our slides are just images of disease states or pathologies so I need something that can be directly applied to specific slides.

6. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

You can import text, pdf, movies, pictures, and recordings into Growly. Not sure about PowerPoints, haven't tried. Can't elaborate on CP, I haven't used that one in a while...

7. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

Really disappointed Microsoft hasn't developed this for the mac too. I love using it in windows, on the web, and on my iPad. Nirvana would be being able to sync to my Macbook Pro as well.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've gone with Circus Ponies Notebook. In fact I've even stopped using OneNote in Windows for this program to manage work projects. I also use it for courses I teach (replacing real, physical notebooks!) and even for vacation planning.

9. gotters macrumors newbie

I've never used a note taking tool before (don't count notes on my iPhone)

Coming new to mac just recently with my RMBP I found via these forums Growly Notes, a free note tool from a chap who headed up dev on older versions of MS Word.

Cant comment on features against other apps as never used them but for free it seems quite nice and featured.

10. subroutines macrumors newbie

I second Growly Notes too (freeware). It is closest thing to OneNote on the Mac. others I recommend is Curio Zengobi and Circus Ponies Notebook

11. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I use Evernote because I like being able to sync between my MBA, iMac, Galaxy Note (surprisingly good for taking short notes at meetings), Asus Transformer, and the Dell laptop I have to use at work.

I have notebooks for all sorts of work categories, and I used it to organise the work on my thesis. It has lots of great features, and hasn't yet been unable to do something I want to do with it.

After checking out the intro video I suspect I'd really like Circus Ponies NoteBook, but as long as I'm using more than one platform I suspect I'll be sticking with Evernote.

12. ozaz macrumors 65816