Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It will get its share of buyers BUT imagine if it was very good and they released it before the s8.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Anyone know when OnePlus typically starts taking pre-orders for new phones?

We won't know until it's officially announced but I'm guessing units are being stockpiled now and a release date should happen within the next 4-6 weeks.

Once the leaks gather place and it appears and disappears from listings it's almost time.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I highly doubt they will throw in 8GB of ram. Since Sammy, LG and (99%) HTC will have only 4. They would be wise to keep it at 6gb, and offer 8 when others go for 6gb. But then again, I really do hope that they are not that wise :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I know there is not an invitation system now for their phones (at least I don't think there is), but put the damn things on retailer shelves that sell unlocked smartphones is my vote. You would think these secondary companies would want to sell more of their phones, wouldn't you? The more exposure the better.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I highly doubt they will throw in 8GB of ram. Since Sammy, LG and (99%) HTC will have only 4. They would be wise to keep it at 6gb, and offer 8 when others go for 6gb. But then again, I really do hope that they are not that wise :)

Yeah 8 seems unlikely. Maybe for dual cameras?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
This was the OP5 in the leaked video that was taken down almost immediately: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Late...-camera-setup-phone-appears-on-AnTuTu_id94033

Latest OnePlus 5 render shows off-center dual camera setup; phone appears on AnTuTu

Latest-OnePlus-5-render-shows-off-center-dual-camera-setup-phone-appears-on-AnTuTu.jpg

Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Whatever happened to the One Plus X line? Are the rumors/plans for OnePlus to make a 2nd generation version of that device?

Imagine if they did what Apple/Samsung do, release a OnePlus 5 at 5.5" and a OnePlus 5X or something, that's closer to 5". That'd be nice.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Whatever happened to the One Plus X line? Are the rumors/plans for OnePlus to make a 2nd generation version of that device?

Imagine if they did what Apple/Samsung do, release a OnePlus 5 at 5.5" and a OnePlus 5X or something, that's closer to 5". That'd be nice.

That would be my dream come true. Killer compact phone, since I really hate 'phablets', but put up with them on android since you really have no compact flagship device.

But OPX is dead. At least for now. OP2 was a failure, and OPX was a means to save the company. Cheaper and easier to develop and maintain one device :(

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
That would be my dream come true. Killer compact phone, since I really hate 'phablets', but put up with them on android since you really have no compact flagship device.

But OPX is dead. At least for now. OP2 was a failure, and OPX was a means to save the company. Cheaper and easier to develop and maintain one device :(

I see. What a shame!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Uhh, this is a little weird: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/05/18/oneplus-teams-dxomark-oneplus-5-camera/

OnePlus Teams Up With DxOMark for OnePlus 5 Camera

I like that OnePlus has ambition to improve their next camera because that was one of the weaker spots of the 3T. I'm not sure this is the way to go about it though, but we'll see...

At such great price points and value, with such beautiful design, and genuinely good software (Oxygen OS is like stock Android "Plus"), I'm very open minded, so bring it on OnePlus.

Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Same here. I ended up selling my 3T, but I'm missing it already. Maybe I'll get the 5 when it comes out, especially if the camera is improved and dual-SIM stays intact.

Yeah, camera is really the thing I'm paying attention to, too.

The 3T is still the best designed aluminum smartphone to date.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Do OnePlus support their phones for more than one year (software-wise)?
As in, when they release a new phone do they basically forget about the last model?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Do OnePlus support their phones for more than one year (software-wise)?
As in, when they release a new phone do they basically forget about the last model?

OP3 and OP3T will receive Android O, and they were the ones of first to receive Nougat.
OnePlus prior to OP3 was really lousy in upgrades. They would upgrade the phone, but they were always one of the last to the party.

But with OP3 they have changed that dramatically, so I have no reason to doubt them anymore. I was one of their biggest critics when software was concerned. But now, they have everything open sourced, so even if they do fail, community will make a upgrade for you.

Reactions: co.ag.2005
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.