Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I can get the OnePlus 6 for $502.55 w/ a student discount. I can also receive the Note 8 for $599.20 before a $16.80 rebate. The total for the Note 8 would be $582.40 after my rebate.

Why I would rather get the OP6: It is the newer device, offers a faster processor, cleaner software, faster DASH charging, strong software support, Project Treble, and has flagship elements at a more affordable price.

Why I would rather go with the Note 8: SD slot, S-Pen (hardly use it, but still a cool feature), better cameras, stronger water resistance, more ubiquitous repair facilities, QHD HDR 10 compliant AMOLED screen, Samsung Pay, Samsung software features, more premium feeling, Iris Scanner.

I am leaning towards going Note 8. This piece of news did cause me to have some second thoughts about going Note 8:

https://fuseboxed.com/2018/05/25/oneplus-6-how-to-display-battery-percentage-on-status-bar/

OnePlus gets an automated DND mode mainly. Thoughts?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You forgot wireless charging. You won't be able to see the difference in the processor speeds from the N8 to the OP6 tbh...

Reactions: nviz22

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I would choose a Pixel 2 instead of those two.

Sadly, the bezels are too big on the Pixel 2. If it were a 2XL? Different story, I would gladly take less specs for the better camera and software support Google provides.

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
Why is everyone going with Note 8? I had the S8+/Note 8 and S9+. Honestly I don't know if I'd chose anyone of the over the OP6. It's hard to put a finger on it but it just has something about it.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Why is everyone going with Note 8? I had the S8+/Note 8 and S9+. Honestly I don't know if I'd chose anyone of the over the OP6. It's hard to put a finger on it but it just has something about it.

Probably because of the stronger brand name, more features, and less compromises. I am leaning towards the Note 8 anyways.

Reactions: stealth.pilot

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I can get the OnePlus 6 for $502.55 w/ a student discount. I can also receive the Note 8 for $599.20 before a $16.80 rebate. The total for the Note 8 would be $582.40 after my rebate.

Why I would rather get the OP6: It is the newer device, offers a faster processor, cleaner software, faster DASH charging, strong software support, Project Treble, and has flagship elements at a more affordable price.

Why I would rather go with the Note 8: SD slot, S-Pen (hardly use it, but still a cool feature), better cameras, stronger water resistance, more ubiquitous repair facilities, QHD HDR 10 compliant AMOLED screen, Samsung Pay, Samsung software features, more premium feeling, Iris Scanner.

I am leaning towards going Note 8. This piece of news did cause me to have some second thoughts about going Note 8:

https://fuseboxed.com/2018/05/25/oneplus-6-how-to-display-battery-percentage-on-status-bar/

I think you answered your own question. Besides the $80 saved, you would have a newer OS right away rather than having to wait for Samsung's pitiful 8-10 month update time. Faster processor, cleaner software, faster wired charging, etc as you mention. Plus you get a flat screen, which is a huge plus for me.

Note 8: you get that crappy curved edge that takes a chunk of screen away. S-pen is super nice to have, but I've learned to live without it and find I don't really miss it other than drawing. We haven't seen a camera comparison yet, but yeah that's probably a nice plus for the N8. Water resistance is nice, as is wireless charging.

If the N8 had a flat screen and was the price you mention, I'd personally go for the N8. But those curved edges just push me away and I'd buy almost any other phone on the market over a Samsung these days.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Note 8....by a mile. The processor flies and you won't notice any difference browsing etc. The only time you'll tell is if you run a benchmark test and compare numbers.
6GB RAM is more than enough, it has a way better screen and a way better camera. Throw in the S Pen, water resistance and wireless charging...

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017

Wireless charging too. The OnePlus6 has no water resistance, it's not rated.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Wireless charging too. The OnePlus6 has no water resistance, it's not rated.

Someone told me their oneplus 5t was killed by a few drops of rain. It is ridiculous that a device designed to be carried out and about is so vulnerable to a few drops of rain. I would avoid oneplus like the plague even ignoring their abhorrent spying on users practices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.