OnePlus 6 vs Note 8

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by nviz22, May 25, 2018.

1. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

I can get the OnePlus 6 for $502.55 w/ a student discount. I can also receive the Note 8 for $599.20 before a $16.80 rebate. The total for the Note 8 would be $582.40 after my rebate.

Why I would rather get the OP6: It is the newer device, offers a faster processor, cleaner software, faster DASH charging, strong software support, Project Treble, and has flagship elements at a more affordable price.

Why I would rather go with the Note 8: SD slot, S-Pen (hardly use it, but still a cool feature), better cameras, stronger water resistance, more ubiquitous repair facilities, QHD HDR 10 compliant AMOLED screen, Samsung Pay, Samsung software features, more premium feeling, Iris Scanner.

I am leaning towards going Note 8. This piece of news did cause me to have some second thoughts about going Note 8:

https://fuseboxed.com/2018/05/25/oneplus-6-how-to-display-battery-percentage-on-status-bar/

OnePlus gets an automated DND mode mainly. Thoughts?

2. mclld macrumors 68020

3. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

You forgot wireless charging. You won't be able to see the difference in the processor speeds from the N8 to the OP6 tbh...

4. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Note 8 for sure, and I am saying this as a
    OPO OP3 and OO5T owner..

5. tbayrgs, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I’m not anywhere close to being a fan of Samsung’s smartphones and even I would take a Note 8 over the OP6, without hesitation. OP as a company just seems about as shady as they come.

6. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

7. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

I would choose a Pixel 2 instead of those two.

8. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

Sadly, the bezels are too big on the Pixel 2. If it were a 2XL? Different story, I would gladly take less specs for the better camera and software support Google provides.

9. PJM83 macrumors regular

PJM83

Why is everyone going with Note 8? I had the S8+/Note 8 and S9+. Honestly I don't know if I'd chose anyone of the over the OP6. It's hard to put a finger on it but it just has something about it.

10. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

Probably because of the stronger brand name, more features, and less compromises. I am leaning towards the Note 8 anyways.

11. invisibleshoes macrumors 6502

Very easy. SD Slot, ip68 rating, wireless charging, better display/resolution, Samsung pay, and the list goes on.

12. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I think you answered your own question. Besides the $80 saved, you would have a newer OS right away rather than having to wait for Samsung's pitiful 8-10 month update time. Faster processor, cleaner software, faster wired charging, etc as you mention. Plus you get a flat screen, which is a huge plus for me.

Note 8: you get that crappy curved edge that takes a chunk of screen away. S-pen is super nice to have, but I've learned to live without it and find I don't really miss it other than drawing. We haven't seen a camera comparison yet, but yeah that's probably a nice plus for the N8. Water resistance is nice, as is wireless charging.

If the N8 had a flat screen and was the price you mention, I'd personally go for the N8. But those curved edges just push me away and I'd buy almost any other phone on the market over a Samsung these days.

13. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

Note 8....by a mile. The processor flies and you won't notice any difference browsing etc. The only time you'll tell is if you run a benchmark test and compare numbers.
    6GB RAM is more than enough, it has a way better screen and a way better camera. Throw in the S Pen, water resistance and wireless charging...

14. Tsepz macrumors 68020

Tsepz

Note8 everytime.
    And this is why I to would go with it.

I looked at the OnePlus 6 and realised my almost year old Note8 is a better device.

15. bnmcj1 macrumors 6502

Screen curved? No sale. Flat screens please...

16. 4RunnerHeaven Suspended

Wireless charging too. The OnePlus6 has no water resistance, it's not rated.

17. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Someone told me their oneplus 5t was killed by a few drops of rain. It is ridiculous that a device designed to be carried out and about is so vulnerable to a few drops of rain. I would avoid oneplus like the plague even ignoring their abhorrent spying on users practices.