Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Well, my trusty Razer 2 finally gave up the ghost. As it was on its deathbed, I started looking at a number of devices to replace it and ended up with a short list:
  • Xperia 1 3
  • OnePlus 9 Pro
  • Pixel 6 Pro
I am now the owner of the OnePlus 9 Pro.
Spent the day doing the basic setup. I did not want to utilize Googles ability to transfer device to device. I wanted a clean slate.

First impressions:
  • Quality packaging and the device itself was top notch looking and feeling right out of the box.
  • I did have to get a new sim card.
  • So far it has been fast and executed flawlessly.
  • In screen fingerprint sensor is fast and has not failed at all. Knock on wood.
  • I am staying with the OnePlus launcher for now but am likely to switch to Nova at some point.
  • I am seriously impressed with how fast this thing charges. 23% to 100% in 24 minutes using the supplied block and cable.

I will post a detailed review sometime in the next few days on my initial experience.

If anyone has any questions let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Who’s your carrier?

And how’s the signal?

Might be leaving iOS if I can’t be cheap anymore.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Personal Review

Oneplus 9 Pro review
Model LE2125 Unlocked
12GB RAM, 256GB Memory
Android 11
OxygenOS 11.2.8.8
Pine Green
AT&T

I started with a clean slate using my default Google account. After setup I will add the apps I want one at a time to see the impact and how they do.

Setup was clean and quick. The only time consumer was the OxygenOS update and security updates (June and July 2021). The face id was quick and easy. The fingerprint sensor took some time as it wants a number of "touch and lift" for each. I am finding the fingerprint sensor is the fastest and most accurate at the moment. It is nice having both bio-id options.

After the initial setup, I took my time and went through all of the privacy options that are offered between Google and OnePlus. I will say that these allow you to really lock the device down as to who you are sharing information with. Browser, apps, etc can all be individually set. Takes some time but I think in the end this will be a well worth it endeavor.

Phone calls are clear with plenty of volume for both normal and speakerphone mode. The calls I have done so far no one has complained and the few I asked thought things sounded just fine. The new OnePlus Pro earbuds won't be out till September so I am using my B&O H5's for now. They are working well and the sound is great.
Update: Until I can get new buds, my AirPod Pro set seems to be working quite well with this device.

Youtube and other video streaming looks great and those that support hi-def look really good.

Camera ... I have just started getting into this and have noticed a lot of good and a couple of issues. The photos are clear, clean, and though I am learning, they are coming out well. The Macro shots are amazing. Despite what some in the media reviews say, the photos are usually close to what I am seeing via my eyes. Not overprocessed. Have a lot more learning to go. The couple of problems I have run into regard mostly zoom once you get beyond the 3.3x zoom setting. The software over processes them (sharpness) that actually ends up causing significant blur when you zoom in. The other issue is consistency. I can setup and take 3 shots in a row of the same item and frequently one if the three will come out ... wrong. Washed, dark, odd background blur, ... something isn't right. Camera software still needs some work.

I am absolutely loving the charging. The stock wired charger took the device from 23% to 100% in 24 minutes. Without overheating either. Seriously fast! I ordered the wireless charger and it is working amazingly well. Almost as fast as wired.

So far I am giving this device a thumbs up.

Pros:
Super fast charging: Charging on wired I went from 23% to 100% in 24 minutes - wow! Charging on the OnePlus stand is almost as fast.
Awesome screen - fast, smooth, and looks really really good
Very nice build quality. The weight is light (compared to my 12 ProMax and my previous Razer2).
The default apps are well done
Underscreen fingerprint sensor is fast and accurate
Settings have a lot of privacy options
Yes, 5G on AT&T works for me. Well, sometimes. Working with AT&T on this. Issue is on their end.
Camera: does a great job.
Clean stock OS - almost no bloat (Netflix was it)
Settings is very clean and organized (compared to iOS Settings). It is close to stock Android 11
Unlock: Offers Pin, Swipe, Fingerprint, and Face - all appear to work well and having all options is great!
Video: Image Stabilization is top notch!
Sideloading works and I can control what apps have access to this feature.

Cons:
Have run into a few apps that don't like OxygenOS
Camera: zoom beyond 3.3x gets messier the more you zoom
Video: Overprocessed but from what I am seeing in their forums it is getting better
No slot for a mSD card
Battery tracking only goes from time of last charge. Need 3rd party app for historical tracking.
Yes, 5G on AT&T works for me. Well, sometimes. Working with AT&T on this. Issue is on their end.

TBD:
Battery life has been very hit or miss. Figure it is from being a new device and setups / installs
I am not a fan of haptics however it is working so well that I left it on ... for now

Last edited:
Reactions: senoltreble

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Cont'd review after 3 weeks…

This will be a followup post now that I have been using the OnePlus 9 Pro for a bit now.
Just to keep it in perspectives, I am coming from a Razer 2 and also use an iPhone 12 ProMax.

Overall impression: Seriously solid device. It has a few quirks but if you take a few minutes on setup, this can be a great device.
For an early review see the above post. Day to day use of this phone has been great.

Setup after a couple of weeks:
Stock OnePlus Launcher with four widgets and an icon pack from F-Droid store.
Have removed most stock Google apps and have cut off as much Google as I can using stock settings and additional settings provided by OnePlus. I still use some Google functions but have turned off tracking where I can.

Bloatware:
Only Netflix came preloaded along with stock Google stuff. There was some stuff provided by OnePlus like a FileManager and a Forum link but all were apps or links that I removed. No workarounds or strange shenanigan's required. I did add a few back as they worked better than stock Android.

Proton provides my Mail, Calendar, and VPN. Spark is my Mail front end for any other emails including iCluod Mail. Looking into their cloud services. Messages and Signal provide my SMS/MMS with Signal being the default. Browser is Bromite with Edge as a backup. All told I have 85 apps installed. Looking at Nova and KWGT.
Update: trying out Lavabit VPN. Anon and fast.

Issues I have run into:
5G - still fighting AT&T over this. Every time it started to work it soon dropped to LTE. Issue is on the AT&T side. I am still good as LTE in my area is generally > 50mb.
Camera: If you take a series of shots in a row - like 3 quick of the same item - generally one will come out mangled.
The edge of the device is sensitive and if gripped tightly they register as touches messing things up. A slimline case fixed the issue. OnePlus says it is an issue they are working on - software fix.
Chrome comes as the default browser but I was seeing random app crashes. Replaced with Bromite and the issue is gone.
Messenger will freeze every couple of days. A kill and relaunch fixes the issue. Signal as my default has been solid.
There has been some notification lag for some actions. Before I shelved the Gmail app, alerts from Spark would come well before alerts from the Gmail app. Seeing about a 5 minute lag for Telegram between my iPad and OnePlus. iPad coming sooner.

So far that is it for issues. I have yet to run into anything that precludes or impacts my daily use.

Battery:
Unless I use it heavy, it lasts me a full day easy. I generally get 10-12 hours solid use a day (screen on). The fact I can hook it to a high watt charger (>50) or drop it onto the OnePlus Wireless stand and it charges to full in about a half hour has led me to forgetting to put it on the charger at night. Very impressive.
NOTE: killing a lot of the Google stuff showed positive impact on battery life.
Update - this device comes with the cable AND high watt charging block.

Things that work well:
This device is fast! Killing the Google stuff made it faster. Yes, noticeable faster in execution than my 12ProMax.
The device is light - weight. Wonder where I got that comparison from?
The camera takes great shots. Photos for the most part are very close to what I see with my naked eye. I have not done too much with video yet.
Display is beautiful. Vibrant colors and operation is smooth with no jitter or lag. A lot of options here but I went with Vivid coloring, FHD+ resolution and Smart 120Hz refresh. Is is close to stock and working well.
Notifications work very well and have a plethora of options. Still tweaking it as I keep finding another option.
Blue Tooth has been solid including linking to my Airpods Pro and B&O Headphones.
WiFi has been solid with no dropped signals (unless Spectrum takes a powder)
Calls have been clear and concise. Whether ear, speaker, or headphones, they all work well. Includes Airpods.

Summary:
Very solid daily use device that does all I ask of it. Flagship level? Yes.
I would encourage anyone wanting a great Android device to try.

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Not Complete yet…

This will be a followup post now that I have been using the OnePlus 9 Pro for a bit now.
Just to keep it in perspectives, I am coming from a Razer 2 and also use an iPhone 12 ProMax.

Overall impression: Seriously solid device. It has a few quirks but if you take a few minutes on setup, this can be a great device.
For an early review see the above post. Day to day use of this phone has been great.

Setup after a couple of weeks:
Stock OnePlus Launcher with four widgets and an icon pack from F-Droid store.
Have removed most stock Google apps and have cut off as much Google as I can using stock settings and additional settings provided by OnePlus. I still d use some Google/Android functions but have turned off tracking where I can.

Bloatware:
Only Netflix came preloaded along with stock Google stuff. There was sone stuff provided by OnePlus like a filemanager and a forum link but all were apps or links that I removed. I did add a few back as they worked better than stock Android.

Proton provides my Mail, Calendar, and VPN. Spark is my Mail front end for any other emails including iCluod Mail. Looking into their cloud services. Messages and Signal provide my SMS/MMS with Signal being the default. Browser is Bromite with Edge as a backup. All told I have 85 apps installed. Looking at Nova and KWGT.

Issues I have run into:
5G - still fighting AT&T over this. Every time it started to work it soon dropped to LTE. Issue is on the AT&T side. I am still good as LTE in my area is generally > 50mb.
Camera: If you take a series of shots in a row - like 3 quick of the same item - generally one will come out mangled.
The edge of the device is sensitive and if gripped tightly they register as touches messing things up. A slimline case fixed the issue. OnePlus says it is an issue they are working on - software fix.
Chrome comes as the default browser but I was seeing random app crashes. Replaced with Bromite and the issue is gone.
Messenger will freeze every couple of days. A kill and relaunch fixes the issue. Signal as my default has been solid.
There has been some notification lag for some actions. Before I shelved the GMail app, alerts from Spark would come well before alerts from the GMail app. Seeing about a 5 minute lag for Telegram between my iPad and OnePlus. iPad coming sooner.

So far that is it for issues. I have yet to run into anything that precludes or impacts my daily use.

Battery:
Unless I use it heavy, it lasts me a full day easy. I generally get 10-12 hours solid use a day (screen on). The fact I can hook it to a high watt charger (>50) or drop it onto the OnePlus Woreless stand and it charges to full in about a half hour has led me to forgetting to put it on the charger at night. Pretty impressive.
NOTE: killing a lot of the Google stuff has a noticeable positive impact on battery.

Things that work well:
This device is fast! Killing the Google stuff made it faster. Yes, noticeable faster in execution than my 12ProMax.
The device is light - weight. Wonder where I got that comparison from?
The camera takes great shots. Photos for the most part are very close to what I see with my naked eye. I have not done too much with video yet.
Display is beautiful. Vibrant colors and operation is smooth with no jitter or lag. A lot of options here but I went with Vivid coloring, FHD+ resolution and Smart 120Hz refresh. Is is close to stock and working well.
Notifications work very well and have a plethora of options. Still tweeking it as I keep finding another option.
Blue Tooth has been solid including linking to my AirPods Pro and B&O Headphones.
WiFi has been solid with no dropped signals (unless Spectrum takes a powder)
Calls have been clear and concise. Whether ear, speaker, or headphones, they all work well. Inlcudes Airpods.

Summary:
This is a solid device I would encourage anyone wanting a great Android device to try.
Very thorough review. Appreciate it. I am not currently in the market for a new phone as my Samsung Galaxy S10e is still great but at some point I will start doing some research.

Reactions: dk001

airbusking

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Texas
dk001 thanks for the in-depth review. I had a 1+ 7pro. Solid phone, camera was ok (over processed images) but the os updates were lagging.
I'm using a pixel 4a 5g, really good in most respects. Thinking about upgrading to the Pixel 6 but I like the hardware on the 9 Pro. I will check back to see if you have an update.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
dk001 thanks for the in-depth review. I had a 1+ 7pro. Solid phone, camera was ok (over processed images) but the os updates were lagging.
I'm using a pixel 4a 5g, really good in most respects. Thinking about upgrading to the Pixel 6 but I like the hardware on the 9 Pro. I will check back to see if you have an update.

I’ll be posting another in a couple of weeks (mid-September?). Just added the One+ watch and want to see how the interaction overall works.

Reactions: airbusking

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
This entry will be about using the OnePlus 9 Pro and the OnePlus Sport Watch.

Let me start out by saying, as I know it will be one of the first questions, this is not the Apple Watch. OnePlus Watch and Apple Watch are different. I will say I like both of them. On to the OnePlus Watch…

First Impression
Nice solid device.

Comes in a nice solid package like the OnePlus phone. Package contains a charger and documentation.

I set it up on the charger first till it hit 100%.
After checking out the instructions, I downloaded the OnePlus Health app and followed the instructions. Fairly simple to setup and link to the phone. You can select what settings and what functions you want to use. It pretty much has everything you need. Activities, Workout, Workout Record, Heart rate, Blood Oxygen, Sleep, Stress, Breathing, Phone, Music, Weather, Alarm Clock, Stopwatch, Timer, Flashlight, Barometer, Compass, TV Connect, Camera, Settings, and Find Phone. Keep in mind this device is a ”tracker”. You cannot initiate calls from it nor text.

After I did the initial setup, I was alerted to an update for the watch OS. Once you say yes, it updates while you wear it. The update was quick and the watch rebooted while wearing it. It comes with a good number of different styles of watch faces

I was set to go!

Battery Life:
One thing I was really interested in was the battery life. All I can say is OMG! With always on display set, after 4 days I still had 54% of the battery left. Recharged it and turned off the always on, 3 days later I am at 79%. I am not pushing this device so if you are a heavy user it will be a bit less. So far I have to charge it about weekly - worst case. Be interesting to see how this pans out longer term.

Update: Wore the watch using it daily and let the battery just run. After 10 days it was down to 30% battery left. Wow!!!
Dropped it on the charger and it went from 30% to 100% in just over a half hour.

Always on display
You get a very minimal version - date/time - that displays 24/7 on the watch. For me this was kind of need to have however as I was wearing it 24/7, I ended up turning it off. Raise to wake and the ability to tap a button was enough.

Calls:
Linked with the phone, I have used this device for several phone calls. It works really well. Folks I tested this with said the calls sounded really good.

Notifications:
I elected to have the watch mirror the Notifications that I get on my phone with haptics. So far it has been doing great and comparing the watch to phone, all Notifications have shown on the watch. Messages, Phone calls, Weather, - pretty much any Notification you get on your phone.

Workouts:
These work quite well and if what you are doing is not in the supplied list you can add your own. It seems to be accurate on keeping track (comparing to my AW4 Nike). The only possible discrepancy was for Steps. If you turn on Auto Pause, it seems to be overly sensitive identifying what is a ’pause’ in your routine causing steps to be under-reported.

Heart rate and Blood Oxygen:
Heart rate: Have been playing with the heart rate and from what I can tell it does a very accurate job. I did a couple of workouts where I also measured my bpm and they matched.
Blood O2: I do not have a separate item to measure the O2 and from what I have seen this too does a accurate job. Keeps a 5 day track. Would have liked a 7 day.

Sleep and Stress:
Sleep: Not sure exactly how it knows, but it does. Has done a good job of identifying when I sleep and hours asleep. It does not measure it hour by hour rather gives me a total of HH:MM slept for the 24hours.
Stress: Not sure exactly what it is measuring to get this. The result is … not sure. I haven’t been able to match a measure to my stress level including post meditation times. See if I can figure it out.

General use:
After a week I found the band not to be the most comfortable. Might be from the sport band I wore with my last watch. Bought a 46mm quick disconnect sports band. Much better.
There are little things I would change on this device, mostly from my Apple Watch days, however this has worked solidly for the couple of weeks I have had it. Eager to see how it does longer term.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Interloper

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Been a bit over 2 months now with this device and as I get into some follow up detail I have to say I am very happy with the One Plus 9 Pro.

Updates:
So far updates have been timely. Security is current through Sept 2021. Just has another OS update for some improvements. Apps, including those from the alternate stores are updating properly and not seeing any issues.

Battery:
I generally get 10-12 hours solid use a day. The fact I can hook it to a high watt charger (>50) or drop it onto the OnePlus Wireless stand and it charges to full in about a half hour has led me to forgetting to put it on the charger at night. Very impressive. Also kind of neat, I can drop my iPhone on the OnePlus wireless stand it charges it nicely. Much better than MagSafe.

Issues:
Biggest issue has been AT&T. No matter what hoops I jump through, 5G is pretty much unavailable. This IS an AT&T issue.
Next issue has been RCS. This messaging type has worked very well excluding iPhones. Apple refuses to allow iOS to interpret it. This means for those folks on an iPhone, I have to make sure they are set to SMS. Crazy.
For all else still see a minor bug with multi shots from the camera. That has been pretty much it for me.

Setup:
I have stayed on the OnePlus Launcher and swap between icon packs. I was planning to go to Nova Prime however I have not really had the time to really dedicate to that yet. As long as 1+ is working I can place that on the back burner.
One item that continues to surprise me is the speed of this device. I have not changed any animation settings in the Developer area yet is continues to outperform (Home screen, widgets, and app launches) my iPhone 12 ProMax. I suspect this will be my main device for a good while.
I was looking at joining the beta for Android 12 hut like setting up Nova Prime, I just don't have the time right now.

Watch:
I am using the OnePlus Sport watch and have to say it has been awesome! It lasts just about 2 weeks between charges. Wish my Apple Watch did the same.

Summary:
This has been and continues to be a very solid daily use device that does all I ask of it. I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to try a top notch Android device. If anyone wants something checked or tested. let me know. I will do it if I can.

I'll likely do a 6 month touch. Till then stay safe and have a great holiday season!

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Good update I like one plus and I envy that charging speed excuse I really don’t like charging my phone overnight. Also the skimmer build is always nice too.

Good stuff I’ll consider it when I leave iPhone behind.

What do you have for a watch?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Good update I like one plus and I envy that charging speed excuse I really don’t like charging my phone overnight. Also the skimmer build is always nice too.

Good stuff I’ll consider it when I leave iPhone behind.

What do you have for a watch?

The OnePlus Watch. Have an Apple Watch 4 for backup.
Really liking the battery life on the watch. One week with always on display, two weeks with it off.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Just for frame of reference. Here is a photo of my OnePlus 9 Pro (personal) and iPhone 13 ProMax (work) along with the OnePlus Watch and Apple Watch 4 (Nike).

A0BBBB3C-6592-4A9F-842E-8CE49D5C5AF8.jpeg

Biggest differences between the two in daily use:
1. The OnePlus 9 Pro feels very light (weight) in hand compared to the iPhone.
2. THe OnePlus Watch battery lasts about two weeks between charges.

Reactions: essexman

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
It has been a few months now using the OnePlus 9 Pro as my daily driver and the OnePlus Watch.

For my daily use both of these devices have performed well and I have no real complaints. The 9 Pro gets me through a day (battery) and in the event it is a very busy day a quick 10-15 minutes on the charging stand takes care of that. The watch, it gets me almost two full weeks between charges while tracking my health, workouts, sleep, and notifications.

I have not changed my setup since the Oct 18 post - have not needed to. It has performed solidly for me and I am very happy with it. While my work device (iPhone 13 Pro Max) has a much better battery, in all other aspects (especially the OS) the 9 Pro has been a better day to day performer.

I'll post more if things change or I discover some new (good and bad) issues.

After a few months I would recommend this device to anyone.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Update:
Just got my pair of Nothing earbuds. Finally.
Easy connection. Has an app that gives you update and fine tune control.

Wow!
Seriously great sound. Clear call quality.
All for $99. Makes this 9 Pro sound really really good.

Will update this entry after a few days to update on battery life and other aspects.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Will post an update in a few days on the move to Android 12.
One great piece of news, there was also a carrier update and this device now gets 5G on AT&T.
I don't have a OnePlus device, but 5G on AT&T isn't what I expected. I switched from a rollover plan, which was a great deal. Decided on getting an unlimited 5G family plan about 3 or 4 months ago... since that's the only way AT&T will enable 5G on our devices. And I wish I could of stayed on my rollover plan. Speeds seem just about the same... only thing that has changed was the naming.

Don't wish to derail this thread... but I had to mention my experience with 5G thus far.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
I don't have a OnePlus device, but 5G on AT&T isn't what I expected. I switched from a rollover plan, which was a great deal. Decided on getting an unlimited 5G family plan about 3 or 4 months ago... since that's the only way AT&T will enable 5G on our devices. And I wish I could of stayed on my rollover plan. Speeds seem just about the same... only thing that has changed was the naming.

Don't wish to derail this thread... but I had to mention my experience with 5G thus far.

Even on my 13 ProMax it is nowhere what it could be.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Android 12 and the new OxyOS/ColorOS for the 9 Pro.

Wow. I am surprised this has been released as it has a few pain points and some good stuff too.

This is after basically a day plus….

1. 5G is active but not much faster than LTE. AT&T.
2. The default launcher is not as flexible as the 11 version. You can do the same kind of changes just takes a bit more work.
3. Notifications needs help. Lockscreen shows minimal info and doesn’t always take you to the correct info when selected.
4. Notifications from the pull-down when deleted does not always disappear from the screen until you refresh.
5. Update - Battery life is worse but it is early. Battery life is 4-5 hours at most.
6. Shortcut notification on the screen for Messages show up on top of items instead of in blank areas.
7. I am getting permission request nags for items I have turned off
8. Camera got an update and it is better!!!!
9. Overall the OS is speedier without diving into Dev Options
10. Some apps (financial) are not retaining sign in info to allow bio login. Not always but enough to be a pain.

Big Update
OnePlus is pulling the 12 update - too many issues. Battery life is crazy low. Glad they pulled this.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
FYI - I rolled my device back to Android 11. Alongside that OnePlus did put out an update to Android 11 with the Nov security updates (and other items).

Will be waiting to see how 1+ fixes OS12.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Now that I have been using this for four months plus, having moved from Android 11 to Android 12 then back to Android 11, how is the battery holding up. Especially after the poor performance with Android 12.

1: Charging wired from 1% to 100% - 30 minutes using the 65W charging block provided with the phone
2: Charging wireless from 1% to 100% - 50 minutes using the OnePlus 50W charging stand
3: Average battery life SOT Android 11original: 10 to 12 hours SOT
4: Average battery life SOT Android 12: 4 to 6 hours SOT
5: Average battery life SOT Android 11 rollback: 10 to 12 hours SOT

At this stage this device has held up very well. I am still running pretty much stock OxygenOS launcher.
Have to say at this point, excluding my brief foray into Android 12, I am very satisfied with this device.

Last edited:
Reactions: three

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
The OnePlus 9 range is currently deeply discounted at Amazon UK - £449 for the regular 9 and £589 for the 9 Pro. With the Pixel 6 at £599, it's an aggressive price for a flagship.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Thanks for keeping us updated with your journey / experience with the OnePlus 9 Pro! I've followed OnePlus from the very beginning, I was very early on in buying the OnePlus One and 2. I'm very interested in the 10 Pro, and although I'm really happy with my iPhone 13 Pro, I'm not against purchasing the 10 Pro and switching between the two devices whenever I see fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.