Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Hi all,

I had almost decided to get the new Moto X but I'm now torn between these two guys. OPO is so tempting with its crazy low price. I have some questions to OPOers and others out there.

- Will OPO be updated to Android L?
- Which phone should I go with? What cons does OPO have? (Especially software wise)
- One last thing, should I add Nexus 5 to usual suspects?

Thanks.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I don't have any experience if any of those phones but IMO at this time of the year if your cosidering the Nexus 5 why not wait a bit to see what the nexus 6 might offer.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I don't have any experience if any of those phones but IMO at this time of the year if your cosidering the Nexus 5 why not wait a bit to see what the nexus 6 might offer.

Two reasons actually. First, the rumors of the Nexus 6 being a 5.92" device. It's way too big. Second, it'll be released in October. I'm visiting London in a week and I want to get this over with, because none of these phones are available in my country. (Nexus, Moto or OPO)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
OPO.

Yes, L is coming to the OPO this year.

Don't even consider the N5 now a days because of the new one and price of the OPO.

Honestly, if you ignore the marketing of the OPO and look at the price and features then it's a steal. I had it and a con would be the size; it's huge.

I highly doubt the Nexus 6, with those leaked 5.92" specs will be $349/$399 this year. I'll be floored if that happened.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Two reasons actually. First, the rumors of the Nexus 6 being a 5.92" device. It's way too big. Second, it'll be released in October. I'm visiting London in a week and I want to get this over with, because none of these phones are available in my country. (Nexus, Moto or OPO)

ah i understand, i was lucky when Google released the Nexus 4 they shipped to my freight forwarder but with the Nexus 5 for some reason they did not ship it.

I saw couple of rumors about the 5.9" screen but i don't know i think it will be more like 5.2 or 5.5 :) hopefully whe will know soon, it seems leakers focus only on iPhones this days.

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
Upgraded from nexus 4 to new moto x. I love it. It's faster, the screen is brighter and more vivid. Battery life better. It's a very snappy phone. I love it. Hoping it'll last me 2-3 years before my next upgrade. I love the moto assist apps. That's the main reason I diverted from nexus. I wanted the pure android experience plus the handless features.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
moto x
m.androidcentral.com/moto-x-review-2014

Oneplus one
m.androidcentral.com/oneplus-one-review

BuryMeInSmoke

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
I don't have experience with the new Moto x, but the OPO is a really great phone. Very customizable software, pretty decent camera and extremely good battery life. I'm kicking myself for selling mine.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
OnePlus One

Why?

The Flagship-Killer is $150 cheaper off-contract, 3 GB RAM, & far better battery life (3100 mAh).

Motorola made a huge mistake packing only 2300 mAh for a Snapdragon 801 and 1080p display. Only 100 mAh more from last year which had a customized dual core S4 Pro SoC of two years ago with only a 720p display. Neither cams from both devices are amazing but good enough.

If you can get one, OPO is still the best value of 2014. Only the Xiaomi Mi 4 can rival it in terms of price but that likely stays in China for awhile unless you like paying for markups. Snapdragon 801 and 1080p are still worthy enough. Only the Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge and Nexus X look to have the SD805 SoC this year which are larger devices. Samsung didn't increase the RAM on the Note this year. Trouble of getting OPO via preregistration and "flash sales" (ala Xiaomi) next month and its larger size might be your only issues.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The one plus is a geeks wet dream for sure but it does have it's own set of issues. Customer service is spotty and it can sometimes take up to a few weeks for them to get back with you. Not all the time but it's happened enough that it should make people leery. Second, it's huge. Really huge. And 3rd. QC is a bit sketchy. Some people get perfect units. Some don't.

The Moto X is a year old now, and doesn't have the greatest specs. That being said, performance is still adequate and it will be updated to android L. Customer service is the best I have ever experienced. My phone screen cracked while it was in my pocket (no idea how) and they replaced it no questions asked. The Motorola features are great and out of the way. If you get it for a good price it's a great phone.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
I'd go Moto X.

Yea OPO is much cheaper but its one of those 'you get what you pay for situations.

You might get a lemon and then trying to get support will drive you crazy.

Motorola meanwhile know how to build phones and they'll support you if something goes wrong.

Problem is the battery life which i assume will improve with updates.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
I had a light yellow band on my OPO and the support is non-existent. Other than that it's a good phone. I would never buy another though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.