Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Their website is down. It must be a lot of people trying to smash their phones right about now.

This is crazy, I don't even have a gsm carrier and I'm still willing to buy this phone lol.

friday at 9:00am (EST) is when they are opening the enrollment to smash your phone. From there, they will pick 100 people to smash it, probably within the hour or so to claim their prize.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
:eek:Wow @ the price and specs!

$299...I guess this will be my next phone. Damn. I wasn't even planning on getting another phone, but I can't pass up this one for that price.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
:eek:Wow @ the price and specs!

$299...I guess this will be my next phone. Damn. I wasn't even planning on getting another phone, but I can't pass up this one for that price.
Same here...i was waiting to get an Xperia Z2. But with all their delays....then this! The 64GB is only $350!! That will be my next phone unless OPO screws it up.....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Still going after the gimmicks. No ordering info.

Only first 100 will be able to get one if you smash up your phone and upload it to youtube.....

Yeah - like I'd trust them to send one after.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
OK cool.

Btw, here's a hands on video for those who haven't already seen it.

http://youtu.be/evEiekq_Di8

looks pretty darn good to me

hopefully they can actually produce this

such a good deal that i cant bring myself to moan about the size

i think i prefer the capacitive buttons
no removable battery or sd card, but at this price and with 64gb - cant complain
no wireless charging (which ive never used)
if this actually gets software updates quick (it should) it should be golden

Last edited:

Zenton

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
And how long do people have to wait after they have smashed their phones and (maybe) won the OnePlus One?

This reminds me of wristwatches. In the watch world there is a thing called "micro brands" or "boutique brands". Basically they are companies who offer watches made of catalogue parts - they just choose the parts they want to use and an Asian factory produces the watch. Small quantities. These watches offer usually exceptional "bang for buck" when compared to the industry giants. The problem is, that these watches are BORING. These watches are hard to buy. The company may not even exist when I have problems with the watch etc. etc.

Is anyone getting me here..?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ I agree and I think I understand what your saying indeed.

Basically they are floating on hyperbole at the moment, with silly systems in order to actually get your hands on this repackaged Find 7a.

Smash your phone up - but we will unveil more in 2 days with 'another countdown clock'..

Invite you to buy..... NO - sorry, the consumer invites YOU to sell us one OPO.

Seriously you get the feeling they are totally fly by night operation.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Basically they are floating on hyperbole at the moment, with silly systems in order to actually get your hands on this repackaged Find 7a.

Smash your phone up - but we will unveil more in 2 days with 'another countdown clock'..

Agree with you guys....their approach is all wrong from the traditional way you want to attract customers. Hate their invite system....hate all the hype. But on the other hand....If the hardware is as advertised and it is running CynanogenMod...how can this be bad? If the company goes under and never releases another model......I will still have a great speced out phone for about ha;f the price of any other flagship phone. Plus it will be able to get all CyanogenMod updates forever..... Not a bad deal. I am willing to wade through the red tape to get one.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
The only reason this phone captivated me for so long was the ability to put such a large screen in such a small body. I envisioned something similar to the G2. Just ordered a Nexus 5 as it is as large as my hands and pockets can comfortably accomodate.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
No ExtSdCard is a bummer but for that price I guess it's only tempting. This would of most likely been my next update but I'll just wait for the Note 4. Plus, the invite just killed all hype I had for the phone.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
So basically a rebadged Oppo Find 7
But better since it comes with CM instead of the ugly Oppo skin.

That price is unbelievable... 299€ for 64GB!!! :eek::eek:

But that size is also unbelievable... bigger than the Note 3!! Are you serious!!?? :mad::mad:

Anyone who gets one please send me an invite! PM me if you can! :D:D

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
My only question is, where and when can I buy this phone ?

Getting a brand new Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8 is super easy to get, even on launch day they were readily available at all carriers, or order online. I am just afraid this phone will be the white albatross, super rare, and always out of stock and worse than the Nexus 4 was the first few months of release.

Zenton

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Agree with you guys....their approach is all wrong from the traditional way you want to attract customers. Hate their invite system....hate all the hype. But on the other hand....If the hardware is as advertised and it is running CynanogenMod...how can this be bad? If the company goes under and never releases another model......I will still have a great speced out phone for about ha;f the price of any other flagship phone. Plus it will be able to get all CyanogenMod updates forever..... Not a bad deal. I am willing to wade through the red tape to get one.

I agree with you.

But the friggin invite system... I wonder how many potential customers they loose because of this. I think this phone would work if it was available right now. Or within in a week or something like that. People would see an awesome specced phone and just buy it. Having to fish for an invite and only then actually start the waiting process is a serious turn off. We saw how people acted with the current flagships (Z2, M8, S5). Many just bought the one that was available immediately, in their local store.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just don't understand why they can't play it straight with the consumer.

Have a stock allocation for each of their stores marketplaces / territories and simply have a pre-ordering system. Limit stock to 1 per customer.

Once first wave of pre-orders is full, remove ability to order until they know when the next stock will be available.

----------

The invite system is utterly random, people are already scamming folks and it opens the whole system to the black market and scammers with people asking for invites, and sad to say 'idiot's' thinking random person on the internet offering to sell one is 'legit'.. It's just an utter mess of a system and contrary to their approach that having 'invites' allows them to control things - it doesn't. The evidence is plane to see on their forum already.

-------

Such a promising device and what looks a great price - marred and tarnished by their own insanity.

The smashing 100 phones thing is utterly stupid, and rather than wasting energy on such moribund gimmicks, sort themselves out and get things running in a organised proper manner and customers won't be stung by fake scammers promising to sell invites that don't exist.......

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas

..... But that price though

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
I just don't understand why they can't play it straight with the consumer.

Have a stock allocation for each of their stores marketplaces / territories and simply have a pre-ordering system. Limit stock to 1 per customer.

Once first wave of pre-orders is full, remove ability to order until they know when the next stock will be available.

----------

The invite system is utterly random, people are already scamming folks and it opens the whole system to the black market and scammers with people asking for invites, and sad to say 'idiot's' thinking random person on the internet offering to sell one is 'legit'.. It's just an utter mess of a system and contrary to their approach that having 'invites' allows them to control things - it doesn't. The evidence is plane to see on their forum already.

-------

Such a promising device and what looks a great price - marred and tarnished by their own insanity.

The smashing 100 phones thing is utterly stupid, and rather than wasting energy on such moribund gimmicks, sort themselves out and get things running in a organised proper manner and customers won't be stung by fake scammers promising to sell invites that don't exist.......

So much promise for OPO until a few crazy announcements. I would love to hear what they were thinking on doing the invite system.

Sooner or later, we are going to hear the scamming stories from the invite system and the smash phone for $1 craptastic idea.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009

yep...I knew that was going to happen. Also watch for fake OnePlusOne phones to show up on eBay too....

So sad but oh well, that was quick. Hopefully they learn from this and do a better job on their next phone release. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, INCLUDE AN EXTSDCARD SLOT and stop stupid **** ideas.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Good luck being lucky enough to buy this phone at the advertised $299 price. I bet most people will only have the option to find it on E-Bay or Craigslist for like $1,000 :confused:

Well I am going out to buy me a One M8 at ATT today now. I like how developer friendly HTC has become again, great ROM's out there for the M8 I hear. Plus a couple friends have the M8 and are raving about insanely good battery life, rivaling the Note 3 almost. One guy had the Note 3 he said the M8 battery life is on par with that phone. Another buddy had the G2 for ATT, he also said the battery life on his M8 is pretty darn close to the G2, but that M8 with Sense 6 feels much faster and smoother.

I would have bought this One+ One, if they had it available for pre-order right now, or at least a concrete date as to when it will be in stock, and lead time, etc. But I think this phone will be a rare opportunity to find, and by the time there is healthy stock available in warehouse, the Nexus 6 won't be too far off, with new and better tech.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Right now their forum is rife with comedy. People are going ape ish over the size of the phone.

Just one of many .... :)

u8usa5a4.jpg

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Right now their forum is rife with comedy. People are going ape ish over the size of the phone.

Just one of many .... :)

Lots of iPhone users will be like this if the new iP6 see's a size upgrade.

So much comedy on OPO boards now & rightfully deserved too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.