Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Apple's MagSafe is terrible for charging as three is a LOT of energy leakage that overheats non-pro models especially the minis!!

Haven’t seen that at all, my work phone has been a non pro and was exclusively charged on MagSafe to 100% for 2 years without any noticable degradation of the battery. Never overheated, sure it would get slightly warm sometimes like all wireless charging but not overheating.

And now the MagSafe technology is a part of the Qi2 standard as well so we will see all manufacturers use it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You know what, just cause my signature no longer doesn't say I have an iPhone, you could at least search my previous posts of the early half of the year and KNOW I'm a former Apple iPhone, iPad and Mac user for several years.

I've owned iphones since the 3GS and most recently the iPhone mind's BOTH the 12 and 13 and back tot he 12 before switching in late August.

I know all too well about Apple's MagSafe first hand. Using going into a store and seeing iphones on display or their partners list for this accessory in no way is a good rebuttal to what I stated:

Apple's MagSafe is terrible for charging as three is a LOT of energy leakage that overheats non-pro models especially the minis!!

Take a look by searching the threads for 12/13 mini 's and MagSafe charging. Go'head I'll wait and you'll see a multiple set of owners and previous owners using various brands (non-official, stronger magnets than official, and official 1st party/2nd party- partner magsafe chargers and how it affects their batteries in less than a year dropping form 100% down to 83-88% in under 7 months!!

This isn't conjecture nor is it falsehoods or folly I'm stating.

The fact Apple came out with their own branded MagSafe charger and in just under 15mths roughly its discontinued with no replacement. I cannot even remember if any other Apple product was axed so quickly (G4 Cube even lasted longer in sales I think). Can you recall any dropped with no replacement faster by Apple?

Lastly recall during announcement if MagSafe Apple claimed to have released a 3 device charger intended to spare the industry partners in accessories to make tbeie own products. That product had been reported so often as having issues with heat for over a year before reports of it. Wing canceled indefinitely. Yet a smaller accessory partner, belkin got it fone
magsafe charger has only been discontinued likely because of it being re-released with a USB C version.

Magsafe remains one of the best things about wireless charging on apple devices. It's a must have now for me.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
magsafe charger has only been discontinued likely because of it being re-released with a USB C version.
Not sure about this. I think the Apple Pencil fiasco objects to this reason... because as soon as the USB-C Pencil been released, the Lightning one should of been axed.

And I know there's still Lightning iPads available for purchase, but a case can be made there's still iPhone lightning for sale as well. I know its inevitable that we will get a USB-C Magsafe charger... it's strange being discontinued so swiftly.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Not sure about this. I think the Apple Pencil fiasco objects to this reason... because as soon as the USB-C Pencil been released, the Lightning one should of been axed.

And I know there's still Lightning iPads available for purchase, but a case can be made there's still iPhone lightning for sale as well. I know its inevitable that we will get a USB-C Magsafe charger... it's strange being discontinued so swiftly.
The pencil lineup is a mess for certain but Apple sort of boxed themselves into a corner with the 9th and 10th Gen iPad using the same 1st gen pencil. I'm guessing they're love to kill of the 9th Gen but flat sales to schools and being able to hit that lower price point make it difficult.

They made people use an adapter to pair and charge the 1st Gen pencil with the usb-c equipped 10 three Gen model so I don't understand why they didn't just replace all earlier pencils with a 3rd Gen that had all the capabilities and call it a day. If those with a lightning equipped older iPad needed a pencil, they could connect it to their iPad with a usb-c to lightning cable or use an adapter. The pencil lineup right now is just a mess.

I don't find killing off Magsafe accessories that used lightning unusual but rather the fact that Apple doesn't have replacements ready to go away the same time.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Gurman seems sure of it

MagSafe battery pack will get updated as well. MagSafe is very much part of the future for all brands imo

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The pencil lineup is a mess for certain but Apple sort of boxed themselves into a corner with the 9th and 10th Gen iPad using the same 1st gen pencil. I'm guessing they're love to kill of the 9th Gen but flat sales to schools and being able to hit that lower price point make it difficult.
Yeah, I agree… the 9th generation is there to hit that lower price point. But as soon as that gets removed from the lineup I guess the 1st generation gets the axe.

I was just responding to @The Game 161 regarding it’s strange some of the magsafe accessories being discontinued... since lightning iPhones are still available for purchase.

Mine has shipped. It will be here tomorrow.
Already! According to some articles out there… official release date is 26th, what color you go with?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Yeah, I agree… the 9th generation is there to hit that lower price point. But as soon as that gets removed from the lineup I guess the 1st generation gets the axe.

I was just responding to @The Game 161 regarding it’s strange some of the magsafe accessories being discontinued... since lightning iPhones are still available for purchase.

Already! According to some articles out there… official release date is 26th, what color you go with?
I went with black. I think I ordered it around 1 to 2 minutes after it was live.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
I take it you guys are in the US? Delivery for the UK still showing as 10/31 (albeit shipping on approx 10/26)

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I now have to wait :).
Screenshot-2023-10-24-14-34-01-92-e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6.jpg

Reactions: nfl46 and Ludatyk

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I always enjoy watching

Yeah Mr. Mobile always lives up to his street name: From all foldables since day one, to the old-school generation one smartphones form the late 90's to early 2000's, and his precise narration through. He properly takes notes during review, creates his formats, edits, double checks sources and opinions with facts and boom the video's are always coherent, and not a FACE up front most of the time. His old nerdiness comes across contradicting funny and cool vs a-typical nerd. His dialogue flow is better and easier to take on long videos than an Apple knowledge content creator we know of - their BOTH good at reviews and presentation and do great research, don't get me wrong.

I think Mr Mobile isn't a stylus guy and Dex I don't think is something he really has a need/aspiration for using. So the OnePlus Open suits his needs more. I got a feeling Samsung may place that S-Pen (being collapsible) into the hinge of the Fold 6. Doing so avoids taking ANY space from cpu, cooling, battery capacity or pcb motherboard space.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Yeah Mr. Mobile always lives up to his street name: From all foldables since day one, to the old-school generation one smartphones form the late 90's to early 2000's, and his precise narration through. He properly takes notes during review, creates his formats, edits, double checks sources and opinions with facts and boom the video's are always coherent, and not a FACE up front most of the time. His old nerdiness comes across contradicting funny and cool vs a-typical nerd. His dialogue flow is better and easier to take on long videos than an Apple knowledge content creator we know of - their BOTH good at reviews and presentation and do great research, don't get me wrong.

I think Mr Mobile isn't a stylus guy and Dex I don't think is something he really has a need/aspiration for using. So the OnePlus Open suits his needs more. I got a feeling Samsung may place that S-Pen (being collapsible) into the hinge of the Fold 6. Doing so avoids taking ANY space from cpu, cooling, battery capacity or pcb motherboard space.
You made a good observation.. 100% agree with a lot of your thoughts... I'm going to be very interested to see where they are going to place it when it finally does make it inside the Samsung fold..

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I think Mr Mobile isn't a stylus guy and Dex I don't think is something he really has a need/aspiration for using. So the OnePlus Open suits his needs more.
He mention in his past videos of using DeX and the S-Pen for creative purposes, but of course… it’s not a situation where he need these features. I think it’s more so showcasing what devices are capable of doing, but it is indeed revealing how he prioritizes using Galaxy Fold/Flip over the competition.

I got a feeling Samsung may place that S-Pen (being collapsible) into the hinge of the Fold 6. Doing so avoids taking ANY space from cpu, cooling, battery capacity or pcb motherboard space.
Never thought of that. But part of me think... that Samsung will never add a silo to the Galaxy Fold.

Why should they? Business-wise, it’s an accessory that consumers have to pay for additionally… Samsung automatically lose out on that as soon as they add a silo.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
He mention in his past videos of using DeX and the S-Pen for creative purposes, but of course… it’s not a situation where he need these features. I think it’s more so showcasing what devices are capable of doing, but it is indeed revealing how he prioritizes using Galaxy Fold/Flip over the competition.

Never thought of that. But part of me think... that Samsung will never add a silo to the Galaxy Fold.

Why should they? Business-wise, it’s an accessory that consumers have to pay for additionally… Samsung automatically lose out on that as soon as they add a silo.
True. Then again with serious competition now: Oppo Find N3:OnePlus Open using the width, lighter weight and larger outer screen and thinner overall as value adds, Samsung could be the first foldable to have a stylus imbedded just like they did on the older notes, and yet still do on the Ultra models.

I'm heavily expecting the Z Fold 6 to be the highlight of communicator style foldable across the globe. It'll be making a big statement to the competition:
Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 for Samsung Galaxy (overclocked 3 month exclusive).
Not only will the hinge be much more refined, but the folding glass elements too.
- less smudge & fingerprints yet more anti-glare.
IP68 rating (!!) - they'll finally figure out the dust ingress issue since no 'protector' would be needed, tighter seals.
LTPO on both inner & outer displays resulting in 1-120/144 maybe even 166hz refresh rates!
2400 peak brightness - 2800 is overkill on battery.
Form factor: will have a slightly wider display in 2024, but still about 2mm narrower, and 4cm shorter than the N3/Open.
> significantly lighter design, camera lenses will have increased quality in both day/night pics and optical/digital zoom. Better cameras-lens coating to reduce lens flare - but its barely perceivable on the S23, so I don't its an issue for the Z Fold 5.
45-60W wired charging.
5000mAh battery.
Pricing could drop by $100 on a new base of 12GB/512GB, with both 1TB/2TB options (latter on order only).

^ A Z Fold FE will debut in late summer early fall 2024, with 8GB/128 + 12GB/256GB option for $849/$999 full retail respectively. Remember Samsung stated their targeting 30 million total unit sales for folds.

The Z Flip 6 will be a refinement year, but something special will come of its launch:
Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 for Samsung Galaxy
Camera lens coating treatment as well, 1-120LTPO outer display, higher resolution for crisp-ness.
45W charging.
Slightly higher outter display resolution but with 1-120Hz refresh on both displays.

2024 Z Fold can't skip on any feature/hardware by any measure! shortly after its release will be the Google whatever they call it - it could lead their design change from the Google Unibrow camera belt.

Z Flip 5 may just have a refinement upgrade of the following (while Z Fold 4/5 trade-ins as well as Z Flip 4/5 will be recycled for new parts in 2025 for its big splash again.
Camera: better optics & coating for clearer shots.
8 Gen 3 for Samsung Galaxy - it may finally get a better vapor chamber and finally get Samsung Dex!

UPDATE: Just seen the news 8 Gen 3 capable of 240fps graphics!
That's a proppa naughty boy!
Cheeeeeese!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I've never seen someone put their username in the photo unless they are trying to offload it to a potential buyer.

What are you planning on doing with the Xiaomi Mix Fold 3?
I have the both as well -- OnePlus Open and Mix Fold 3. I am going to sell the Fold 3 but it's only because of the service issue. I live in a major metropolitan but sometimes I visit some towns and don't get service. If the Mix Fold 3 had a global version, I'd be over the moon.

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I wish I could justify having more than one foldable but never lol

I know I need to cut back on my phones going forward. iPhone and pixel going forward and Z fold as my foldable for now. I still like the software on one UI for foldable and to be honest for my usage it doesn't need to improve loads for me.

with how horrible resale value is in UK for the fold 5 already maybe trading in would be an option but even then the trade ins are just so much worse than the US

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I wish I could justify having more than one foldable but never lol

I know I need to cut back on my phones going forward. iPhone and pixel going forward and Z fold as my foldable for now. I still like the software on one UI for foldable and to be honest for my usage it doesn't need to improve loads for me.

with how horrible resale value is in UK for the fold 5 already maybe trading in would be an option but even then the trade ins are just so much worse than the US
Ohh trust me, the plan was never to keep both of them. I've had the Fold 3 for weeks now but the service issue is a problem for me and I needed a reliable phone. If it wasn't for that, I'd never gotten the OPO.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ohh trust me, the plan was never to keep both of them. I've had the Fold 3 for weeks now but the service issue is a problem for me and I needed a reliable phone. If it wasn't for that, I'd never gotten the OPO.

Makes sense

The service side of things is why I think most have stuck with Samsung over the years. Least there are more foldable being available now with pixel fold and one plus open

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I’m genuinely intrigued by the Open and if I hadn’t bought the Pixel Fold in July, I’d pick this up instead.

It’s not my primary phone so I don’t need amazing cameras. It hits the size sweet spot.. taller than the Pixel Fold and wider than the Galaxy Fold yet lighter than both. And that bigger inner display with much less noticeable crease and max brightness of 2800 nits. Really like their multitasking UI as well.

Only knocks are no wireless charging (yes it matters than much to me—can’t recall last time I plugged in my Pixel Fold) and OEM support.

Anybody wanna buy a Galaxy Fold that has the extra device protection plan? ;)😏

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.