Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trms23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
Has anyone tried this app?
It looks like a bit of a scam to me?
Also it starts it's own http server during the app launch.
Maybe some tvOS developers could give infos, how they creators accomplished that?

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
I tried the paid version. It works ok it finds subtitels other apps cannot find and it can also read flac files upto 192Khz 32 bit. Although the output is dominated by apple tv and has 48Khz. Which is quite odd especially when the original is 44.1 Khz. But that's apple.....

Onevideo has a bug. It crashes in some instances when you want to look at the list of movies you have. It will then create thumbnails and why it happens i don't know. But on the same folders it crashes over and over again. While other folders display perfectly.

One video could be my favourite video app if it was not for the crashes. The video display, when you actually play a video, looks a lot like the one that is used in Kodi.

But since they now ask 5 euro for it I would not buy it again. I bought it for € 2,99. Two days later they offered it for 99 cents and now it is 5 euro or so. Because it crashes I returned it to the app store and got my money back. When it is updated I will check it out again. But the price is too high. Then you will be better off with MrMC I think.

There is also a free video player that is called 'Video Player for Many Movies Formats from Nas Media Servers' made by Shark Intelligence (hehehehe)

It is free and as far as I am concerned the best of the lot! Because it is simple and easy to use, it works and has only one hiccup; not all subtitles are working. This one does not play flac. But then audio output on the Apple tv 4 is not such that I would recommend it for playing audio......

Onevideo has better video quality on those movies that you can play.

Engie

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
From the product description:

* Copy your own media file to OneVideo's cloud storage in AppleTV to play later.

Does it mean I can copy my own videos directly to Apple TV and play from there? I have been looking for this feature for some time as I am not interested in runnning my own secondary NAS, networks steam or AirPlay.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
I have no idea what is ment with that. I also think it is a bad option since the Apple TV doesn't have such a huge storage facility. When I read it I am tempted to believe that Onevideo would store your movie in their own cloud.

But I do not believe that it can.....

When you want to have most fun of your Apple TV I advice you to add a NAS or a harddrive to your network, from which you can play your stuff. The other option is to have all the music and movies on your own computer. Then you could install server software on it.

Magnip

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2016
From the product description:

* Copy your own media file to OneVideo's cloud storage in AppleTV to play later.

Does it mean I can copy my own videos directly to Apple TV and play from there? I have been looking for this feature for some time as I am not interested in runnning my own secondary NAS, networks steam or AirPlay.
Yes you can I've tested it by removing my Ethernet and I deleted my wifi pass and media still plays + the Apple TV settings info shows and increase in storage that tallies with the data I transferred.

One warning I must give is when removing the media from the Apple TV my storage is not restored so if the data is still there I can't see it so you might fill it up without knowing, I haven't got that far yet so I can't tell but am hoping a compete reset of the Apple TV will clear anything that shouldn't be on it.

As for those who think it's not needed because of storage size against there collection it's not for that use, you can use your plex server or infuse, but for those that are like me that want to put about 10 movies a few tv shows and a good 50 or so music albums disconnect from any internet and take your Apple TV 4 on holiday your laughing. I've also got a mate using his in his car.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Yes you can I've tested it by removing my Ethernet and I deleted my wifi pass and media still plays + the Apple TV settings info shows and increase in storage that tallies with the data I transferred.

One warning I must give is when removing the media from the Apple TV my storage is not restored so if the data is still there I can't see it so you might fill it up without knowing, I haven't got that far yet so I can't tell but am hoping a compete reset of the Apple TV will clear anything that shouldn't be on it.

As for those who think it's not needed because of storage size against there collection it's not for that use, you can use your plex server or infuse, but for those that are like me that want to put about 10 movies a few tv shows and a good 50 or so music albums disconnect from any internet and take your Apple TV 4 on holiday your laughing. I've also got a mate using his in his car.
You say 10 movies and a few tv shows. Have you tested with uploading more the 2gb of videos? If so, then you are saying Apple is allowing full access to the Apple TV 4 Storage. Right? If this is true, then really happy I got the 64gb Version because I could see a lot of other uses of this. Example: My Live TV App can only buffer 2gb or 30 minutes of the current show that is on. I was under the understanding it was a Apple TV 4 Limit. If not, maybe they could add more options like per channel buffer so if I switch back to a channel I could get my prior buffer. Anyway, just trying to understand the limits. Please share you storage layout when doing this if you can. I user Storage Doctor TV to view mine. Thanks.

Magnip

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2016
You say 10 movies and a few tv shows. Have you tested with uploading more the 2gb of videos? If so, then you are saying Apple is allowing full access to the Apple TV 4 Storage. Right? If this is true, then really happy I got the 64gb Version because I could see a lot of other uses of this. Example: My Live TV App can only buffer 2gb or 30 minutes of the current show that is on. I was under the understanding it was a Apple TV 4 Limit. If not, maybe they could add more options like per channel buffer so if I switch back to a channel I could get my prior buffer. Anyway, just trying to understand the limits. Please share you storage layout when doing this if you can. I user Storage Doctor TV to view mine. Thanks.
Hi mike. I've only tried a Harry Potter movie ripped to 4.5gb 1080p so far other then that I have about 10 albums on it so I don't have to use iTunes on the Apple TV, I haven't added anything since my last post because I'm not planning to use it away from home yet. Well not untill I can afford another Holliday lol.
I don't think Apple is aware of the app having acsess to local storage other wise it most proberly be removed.
Latest update hasn't removed the option so all good but we are due the new tv os in March so fingers crossed. Also my internet was down for a good ten hours last week and I did do a quick check and play the movie and some tracks of one album and the still played as they should, I'm still confused this works they might aswell let us plug a usb stick to the usb c port and let plex acsess it from there without the need of server or net connection. Sorry for long post.

Pat43

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2016
Brussels, Belgium

I read with interest your exchanges around Onevideo which I just purchased. May I ask you for a bit of advice because I am having trouble to connect to my iMac and my McBook Pro.The application apparently recognizes the two devices on the internal network but it doesn't identify any movies, music or pictures on either device. Its probably due to a wrong configuring of the 2 devices on my part. Do you know of any support (FAQ list or documentation) I can use to solve my problem? The application does, at some stage, ask you for authentification and PW. Is this mandatory or can you skip this? If it is mandatory what ID and PW do you I need to use? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Magnip

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2016
I read with interest your exchanges around Onevideo which I just purchased. May I ask you for a bit of advice because I am having trouble to connect to my iMac and my McBook Pro.The application apparently recognizes the two devices on the internal network but it doesn't identify any movies, music or pictures on either device. Its probably due to a wrong configuring of the 2 devices on my part. Do you know of any support (FAQ list or documentation) I can use to solve my problem? The application does, at some stage, ask you for authentification and PW. Is this mandatory or can you skip this? If it is mandatory what ID and PW do you I need to use? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
[doublepost=1468608557][/doublepost]Hi. I am not around my Apple TV at the moment so I can't go through it to make sure, but if I remember I managed to find my PC and files straight away because I had previously installed the plex media app on my tv & PC. So going down that route I selected my plex server in the onevideo app options and the password request was for the plex server login so it will view your library located on PC. This is were I believe I view file and select copy to Apple TV. Hope this helps for now if not let me know and I will run through it physically when I get home,
And then send you a step by step if you can put up with the grammatical errors and lack of punctuation. Magnip

Pat43

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2016
Brussels, Belgium
[doublepost=1468608557][/doublepost]Hi. I am not around my Apple TV at the moment so I can't go through it to make sure, but if I remember I managed to find my PC and files straight away because I had previously installed the plex media app on my tv & PC. So going down that route I selected my plex server in the onevideo app options and the password request was for the plex server login so it will view your library located on PC. This is were I believe I view file and select copy to Apple TV. Hope this helps for now if not let me know and I will run through it physically when I get home,
And then send you a step by step if you can put up with the grammatical errors and lack of punctuation. Magnip
[doublepost=1468612743][/doublepost]Thank you so much for your prompt reply and your kind offer of assistance. As you will have understood I am not experienced at all in the configuring of "file sharing". I have not installed Plex and I am not sure that I need it, so that route will not help me at this stage. If you could send me, when you have moment, the step by step procedure, that would very helpful. I can certainly put up with the grammatical errors and the punctuation!...Pat43

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
when you just bought 'One Video', consider to return it to the itunes store. Then you could get your money back and buy Infuse... Just look at the situation:

You are now in this forum with many people willing to help you but what about Onevideo? Did they offer you support? I asked them a few times to help me with the Issues that I had and received no response at all.

Their Video player is really good but it looks like it is extracted from Kodi. I am not sure but it could be that Onevideo is not so much interested in their customers for what ever reason. They have no forum they are not present here on this site, nothing nothing at all. And that doen't look like a reliable service to me.

Pat43

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2016
Brussels, Belgium
when you just bought 'One Video', consider to return it to the itunes store. Then you could get your money back and buy Infuse... Just look at the situation:

You are now in this forum with many people willing to help you but what about Onevideo? Did they offer you support? I asked them a few times to help me with the Issues that I had and received no response at all.

Their Video player is really good but it looks like it is extracted from Kodi. I am not sure but it could be that Onevideo is not so much interested in their customers for what ever reason. They have no forum they are not present here on this site, nothing nothing at all. And that doen't look like a reliable service to me.
[doublepost=1468879751][/doublepost]Thank you for your reaction. Regarding Onevideo's support, of course my first reaction was to write to them to ask for assistance butI haven't received any reaction from them so far. Given your experience, may be I shouldn't expect to much!... Meanwhile I managed to establish a connection with my McBookPro but I have experienced a couple of crashes. The feature allowing to copy video on the Apple TV hard disk doesn't work in my case. Could it be that with the latest software update for Apple TV4, this feature is no longer possible? If this were to be the case, my interest for the product would greatly diminish. As you say I might just as well turn to Infuse.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
[doublepost=1468879751][/doublepost]Thank you for your reaction. Regarding Onevideo's support, of course my first reaction was to write to them to ask for assistance butI haven't received any reaction from them so far. Given your experience, may be I shouldn't expect to much!... Meanwhile I managed to establish a connection with my McBookPro but I have experienced a couple of crashes. The feature allowing to copy video on the Apple TV hard disk doesn't work in my case. Could it be that with the latest software update for Apple TV4, this feature is no longer possible? If this were to be the case, my interest for the product would greatly diminish. As you say I might just as well turn to Infuse.

I have no idea....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.