Ongoing issue with 2007 MacBook Black

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Audio Sunshine, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Audio Sunshine macrumors newbie

Hey there,

Seem to have a beaut of a problem at the moment; - After upgrading my MacBook Pro the motherboard went on it and was deemed a loss. I still had my 2007 Black MacBook though which had never caused me any problems, so decided to upgrade that until the funds could be raised to buy a replacement MBP.

I purchased a new battery for the Macbook and upgraded the Ram to 2GB, I also took the 1TB hard drive from the dead MBP and installed that.

Since then however, the laptop has been... through want of a better word 'Stuttering' - mainly whilst watching videos or with Itunes playing: The sound and / or image will freeze and start, freeze and start and whilst this is happening the mouse and keys wont respond. - This eventually leads to the screen going grey and a notice telling me to force shut down the computer.

After looking online for this problem the feedback indicated it could be an issue with the RAM which would make sense considering I had just bought and installed it. However the shop replaced the RAM twice to no avail.

I then took it to them for a diagnostic and they found an issue with the hard drive which they replace for free as it was still under warranty, again sadly to no avail and the same problem remaining.

I then took it to another shop for them to wipe everything from the computer and reinstall everything. This seemed to work for a couple of hours before the computer again started to stutter in use.

Pretty much lost on what to try next seeing as this problem started when I replaced the hard drive and RAM which have since both been replaced. I use my Mac for radio work and DJing and thankfully this hasn't effected those yet... but have the feeling its only a matter of time. I have a new MBP being delivered this week, but still love the black macbook to pieces and would like to keep her running.

Has anyone any ideas as to what might be the cause or what to try next?

Would be hugely appreciated!

T

2. Henk Poley macrumors regular

Have you already tried going (back) to a smaller drive?

3. JohnPhamlore macrumors regular

Try and get Depot Repair for the mbp

If you have access to an Apple store, I would take the mbp with the dead logic board to it and see if they agree to a full repair at at most around $300 USD.

4. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks