Ongoing Problems w/ Headphones (MacBook Pro)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by athom, Oct 12, 2008.

1. athom macrumors newbie

I got my 17" MacBook Pro as a present a while a go, and love pretty much everything about it. I say "pretty much" because I more or less ONLY use headphones, and the computer doesn't seem to like that. When I plug headphones into the jack... nothing happens, for anywhere from five minutes to an hour. No red light, not even a headphones option in sound prefs. Then, with no apparent warning, the internal speakers will cut out and I suddenly have headphones as MY ONLY OPTION in sound prefs.

I begrudgingly accepted this for most of the time i've had the computer, but now I can't get it to switch over to headphones AT ALL. I've tried every fix I can find - SoundSource doesn't help, I tried the BootCamp fixes (I may not EVEN BE RUNNING BOOTCAMP, but I do have a windows drive), nothing fixes the problem. Suggestions?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Let's try to isolate the problem. Do you have another pair of headphones to try? Are you plugging it in the wrong port (input vs output)? Did you push the plug all the way in? Can you plug in speakers to see if it works?

If none of the above made any difference, just head over to your local apple store and have them take a look at it.

3. athom thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried everything but the speakers, which I don't have. Unless anyone else has any bright ideas, I'll just take it into the Mac Store.

Thanks!