Ongoing Server Connection Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scr1968, Jan 12, 2009.

1. scr1968 macrumors regular

I have a nagging, but ongoing, connection issue that I am hoping you can all help me with.

A few months ago I tried connecting to a server which we will call "abc." For one reason or another (I can't recall), I gave up trying to do it. I can't remember if I was successful or not.

Now, however, everytime I start my MacBook Pro I get this message twice...

===========
    Connection Failed
    There was an error connecting to the server. Check the server name or IP address and try again.

If you are unable to resolve the problem contact your system administrator.
    ===========

Since upgrading to 10.5.6 I get a slightly different message

===========
    Connection failed

The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and your network connection and try again.
    ===========

Furthermore, if I am VPNed in (this is a work computer) I get another message shortly after VPNing in...

===========
    A volume failed to mount

The volume "abc" could not be mounted.

After I acknowledge these messages, they go away and don't come back until I restart or change from a VPN to a non-VPN connection (or vice versa)

I am sure it is a setting somewhere that I change when attempting to connect in the first place but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Any thoughts?

SCR

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If it's a network you no longer connect to after trying it the first time, head over to your System Preferences, Network, click on Airport, Advanced, and it should show you a list of all networks you have ever connected to. You can select a network and click the minus button to remove it and its settings from your computer.

If it was a password issue, and you tried saving the pass to your keychain, you can open up the Keychain app from the Utilities folder and find the pass associated with that network and delete them.

there might be something similar for VPN networks, but I am not familiar with it.

3. scr1968 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried that already. In the messages I am seeing it is specifying a folder I tried to connect to. It actually was a folder on a system in my cube at work. Was trying some file sharing but it didn't work.

And this message happens if I am using my Airport in my MacBook Pro or if I am hard wired in.

SR