Onion and garlic

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I loves me some onion and garlic. I can cook, but not well. I'll usually fry some garlic and onion, and think to myself, "What can I actually make using garlic and onion?" That's when I throw together some other chopped veggies (whatever I have in hand), fry it, and add some kind of sauce. Sometimes I'll just mix some sauces together and make something entirely unusual. I never have plans for my garlic and onion. I just know it's going to be in whatever I cook. :D

Anyway, I don't know why, but that combination of things happens to go together like.......like.....chicken + avocado, Romeo + Juliet, Mad Jew + brooms, peanut butter + jelly, and of course the grilled cheese sandwich, which is just cheese + tomatoes in bread, and grilled in a sandwich press (aka: sandwich "maker").

Is there any reason why some things just happen to go together better than others?

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Baked garlic is really great. Seriously, just bake some garlic and eat it. So good.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I love the smell of onion and garlic(seperate) frying....its makes my hunger double up.

Nice pasta sauce with chopped garlic......yummy!

Bless

4. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Your girlfriend might disagree.

Seriously, Garlic is great, but not when you're planning on socializing.

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Too true.

I love the taste, but I still avoid the stuff like the plague, unless I know I'm going to be isolated from other human beings for a good while. Nothing worse than a garlic lunch.

6. Smoogz macrumors member

mmmm omg i love garlic.... back home when we have crawfish boils i always through a few cloves of garlic in there. It makes it all soft and i spread on bread like butter and just eat and eat and eat!

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

8. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

I tend to marinate things in garlic and teriyaki sauce... fish, chicken, even tofu! So good!

I use garlic for lots of things too, I don't really care about the smell lingering.

One interesting tidbit: I live in a small apartment, and I probably cook with garlic 2-4 times per week. Now, my guitar that sits out in the living room, the fretboard is permanently smelling of garlic! I can't play it without my fingers smelling like garlic. It even resists washing!

I keep my good guitar in the case now, hidden...

9. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Actually, baked garlic doesn't have any of the nasty after effects of raw garlic. Baked garlic on toast with a smidge of balsamic is great, and you're still kissable (if you were before said consumption.....:D

10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Was going to mention that. Make sure you're alone I guess!

11. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Baked garlic and balsalmic? I'm willing to give that a try.

I've been trying to make a good pasta arrabiata. It tastes good, and all it is (generally) is olive oil, loads of garlic, and red pepper flakes. Awesome taste, but mine doesn't quite taste the same as the stuff they make in restaurants. :)

One of the reasons I've always wanted to visit Louisiana.