Resolved Onkyo Amp pushing Cerwin Vegas! Home Theater

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bdodds1985, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bdodds1985, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I have just purchased an Onkyo TX-NR509, and would like to purchase an amp for my Cerwin Vega! VE-12's. But I am not sure how to hook it up to my reciever. I am looking at a Onkyo M-282. Please see the links for visuals.

Does anyone with experience in home theater know how to hook up that amp to power my speakers? or would you recommend something else?

I have an only purchased the fronts, reciever and the Cerwin Vega! VE-28S for the subwoofer. I cannot afford the rest of the surround and center speakers just yet so I am going stereo for a while.

2. Kimbie macrumors regular

Kimbie

The AV Receiver you have should drive the speakers without an issue, why do you need a separate amplifier?

Kimbie

3. JacobC1983 macrumors member

You just run preouts from the receiver's front left and right connections (they look like RCA plugs) to the amp. Then you run speaker wire from the amp to your left and right speakers.

I do something similar with my onkyo TX-NR1007 and Emotiva XPA-3.

4. bdodds1985 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

Definitley not enough power to push those speakers to the max. It would still sound good but why not get the most out of some $300 a piece speakers. I might even use it just for my subwoofer since it is a dual 8.

----------

That is what I thought, just wasnt sure. As long as its the same sound quality (I'm sure it is) then that is what I will do.

I was reading about some of the higher end models having a 12v output, But I dont want to spend that much on the reciever since I can just buy an amp and the rest of the speakers later.