Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
I burned out an Onko SR606, it ran hot and the HDMI board failed 2x, apparently a common issue. It was pretty decent otherwise. Not sure if they have solved it with newer units, but if you go this route, you might want to get a fan to cool the unit. Something like this.

surfnode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
United Kingdom
I already have a Sony BDV surround system where the amp is in the blu Ray player unit. It’s about 8 years now and keeps cutting out during movies or when switching between hdmi channels. Budget is £300 / $400 - I’ve also looked at the LG SK5R 4.1 Soundbar with DTS Virtual-X
My main goals are to get something capable of playing Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
To take advantage of the HD audio on your current budget, I would consider going with a good 2.1 or 3.1 system. I would even look at the used market for good gear that's a year or two old.

Many movies with DTS-HD MA and TrueHD soundtracks have a lot of low bass (e.g. Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales, Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle) so a good subwoofer and a couple of smaller satellites is what I would do and add side surround speakers at a later time. A good $400 2.1 system is going beat a $400 5.1 system.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
For soundbar review and tests see:

https://www.soundandvision.com/category/soundbar-reviews

To take advantage of the HD audio on your current budget, I would consider going with a good 2.1 or 3.1 system. I would even look at the used market for good gear that's a year or two old.

Rather than spreading your money over 7 components, I would think you would get better sound spending that money on fewer higher quality components. You might give up surround sound, but the audio would likely be better.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
For soundbar review and tests see:

https://www.soundandvision.com/category/soundbar-reviews

Rather than spreading your money over 7 components, I would think you would get better sound spending that money on fewer higher quality components. You might give up surround sound, but the audio would likely be better.
A new soundbar, depending on the brand and model, can cost as much as a modest, used 2.1 system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.