Online Activation: What determines Area Code for new numbers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JNB, Jun 27, 2007.

1. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Watching the activation vid again, it doesn't demonstrate any ability to choose area code or number, but I believe that it can be implied that your home phone (and/or other factors) may determine the area code and prefix assigned to new numbers.

In my case (Phoenix area), we have three: 602, 623, 480. I would prefer 623, as that's my home area code and also for my office direct lines. My current Sprint # has a 602, which is fine functionally, but I would prefer to choose, and if I (apparently) can't, then assignment based on my existing home area code is preferable.

Actually, I want to be able to pick the specific digits of the phone number as well, or at least the last four. I'm not sure they're even that helpful in-store. Looks like a pre-release visit to the local AT&T store Friday morning. If I get any definitive answers, I'll post as soon as I get back...

2. ps49556n macrumors regular

Area codes for new numbers are determined by region given when signing up and availability.

3. AaronHeth macrumors member

I wondered the same thing, as I am a college student and am on vacation now, but I noticed a few things in the activation video.

I believe they would use your billing address, however there is a question asking "Is this where you will primarily use your phone?" and there is a no button, meaning you can probably specify the are code you will be using it in. That's what I hope anyways. :)

4. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

...Have you ever looked at an area code map in a phone book? :rolleyes:

5. terrrrrible macrumors regular

It's probably going to be based off of where your billing information is.

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

They usually give you a list of choices for phone numbers but they don't let you pick the last 4 digits.

Who knows how it will work on the iPhone.

7. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

area code is based on the region and the lot of numbers they're given at that store from what i was told when i got my phones. for example, where i live you can have a 443, 410, or 301 area code. the AT&T store and every store in the same mall has a 410 area code. however, they only have 443 area codes for their mobile numbers.

i know if you're doing a family plan you can ask for numbers close in sequence, but i'm not sure if you can ask for a specific 4 digit suffix.