online av

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by odej98, Jun 6, 2009.

1. odej98 macrumors member

i realize virii are not much of an issue for macs, but I am still cautious about trojans.
    Anybody know about an online scanner for osx that would post honest results'?

I want to avoid these providers:
    Example: we found 1300 malicious programs, we won't tell you where they are or what they are but buy our software and . . . . . .

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Trojans can't come in unless you open the gates. Just like you don't answer emails from Nigerians bearing cash, don't click on the obvious Trojans.
    P.S. most Trojans don't attack Macs.
    P.P.S a search of the forums has several threads on this issue.

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Other than being cautious about surfing warez/pr0n sites and P2P networks, do the following:

1. Run a standard user account for daily use. Keep the admin account for updates only. This can save you from many trojans that are installed due to social engineering. (See OSX.Leap.A) (Wiki entry)

2. Turn on the firewall.

3. Optional: Run Little Snitch or some ipfw front-end like WaterRoof or NoobProof.

4. Optional but encouraged: Check application review sites like Version Tracker, Mac Update, iUseThis, and Softpedia before you install an app.

As for an AV program, I don't know of any online scanners. The only native applications I know are ClamXav and iAntiVirus.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No AV that runs off the net can actually scan your machine in any reliable manner. That's why those other ones you've seen say they can't tell you where the viruses they "found" are at, because they didn't really do a scan.

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

For a scanner to work, it has to be installed on your computer.

iAntiVirus is the best for OS X at the moment.