Online back-up

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wineandcarbs, May 5, 2012.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this - I couldn't figure out which forum was most appropriate. Mods, please feel free to move this to another section or direct me on where to post it.

I was wondering if you could recommend an online/cloud type of backup system. I typically backup on an external hard drive (I do not use Time Machine and do not want to right now). Where would be the best place online to start backing up? I am fine with a service I pay for given that most places probably only offer a limited amount of space.

If you have any personal recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. jsgreen macrumors 6502

3. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you - I will look into it now.

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

How much space do you need? What kind of access do you need (web, finder, mobile...)? etc.

5. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

I need no more than 100GB - even that is pushing it. I probably won't back up music, just files and images.

I would like to be able to access files via the web and, should I ever get a new computer or this one breaks, be able to restore my files.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been using Crashplan also and have been happy with it. Their client software is very configurable and works well on OS X.

7. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Lots of love for Crashplan, but they don't seem to have any UK presence except for businesses, which is much more expensive. I have 1TB and growing I feel I ought to back up, Backblaze seems to offer what I want, and it's only £2.50 a month. Thoughts?

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Just a side question (if I may!).

Has anyone successfully recovered from their online backup service of choice?

The backing up isn't the important bit. The recovery is!!

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Carbonite is another option. That will back up all the files on your internal drive.

10. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Thanks, but it won't work for me. What I want to back up is my iTunes library, currently 1TB and growing as I rip my DVDs - it'll grow even faster once I start on my BluRays! It's all stored on an external drive, so it looks like Backblaze is the one for me.

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Great question. I hope someone can provide an answer as I'm curious as well.

12. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the suggestions.

Firestarter - excellent question. Looking forward to the responses to any responses to this as well!

13. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Another for CrashPlan. Specifically, CrashPlanPro. I did the regular CrashPlan, but I liked the interface better of the CrashPlanPro and the price difference for me was worth it. The initial back up took quite a bit of time since I would often forget to leave my MBP open to continue the upload but now that's done it's pretty simple. I have > 500GB backed up and can access all my files on my iPhone/iPad via the CrashPlanPro app. It automatically updates the file versions (if it changes) in the background. The new app they have for OSX is much improved.