Online backup advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by manju, Jun 5, 2008.

1. manju macrumors newbie

I've recently discovered SugarSync, which looks really good as a backup and remote access/sync setup. They give 10gb for $2.49/month, which should cover most of my needs. But which files do I need to backup? I've got my documents and my photos on it, my bookmarks are all on del.icio.us, but are there any system files I would kick myself for if I missed them and had a system failure?

(The rest of this is backstory: stop reading unless you want to read about my experience with Mozy.

I've used Mozy for several months, alongside Time Machine and SuperDuper backups on a partitioned external drive. A few months ago, I had a system failure and reinstalled Leopard. I restored the bulk of my data from the Time Machine backup, because that was much quicker than downloading, but Mozy - which was the more recent backup - then refused to download my files because it couldn't recognise my 'new' machine as the one it had backed up. Mozy customer services explained this as having to do with timestamps on the files, and they apologised profusely and gave me a few months free service. I had to upload all 30gbs again, which took several days.

I felt burned that the first time I had reason to call on my Mozy backup, it couldn't help me unless I was willing to spend a few days downloading my files from their servers.

I've also been giving some thought and realise that of that 30gb, by far the majority is music, which I have backed up on the external drive, and on my ipod, and most of which I could anyway download from emusic again. So I'm thinking that the 10gb SugarSync offers might be worth leaping at, in preference over the unlimited Mozy account for $5/month. Any opinions?)

2. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

I really like .Mac. I am doing the trial and about to pay for the year. It is a nice backup plus you get other features.