Online backup (free)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dimme, Apr 11, 2009.

1. dimme macrumors 65816

I am looking for a free online backup service to back up about 2Gb od files. I use Mozy on my MBP. But their free service is only for one computer. So I am looking for another company for my MacPro. I tried idrive but they seem to have problems. So I was thinking of trying spideroak.com. Any other ideas?

2. warning9 macrumors newbie

You can give Dropbox a try. It also lets you hold 2gb of data for free with multiple computers.

3. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

+1 for Dropbox. You can also add 250Mb per referral you get up to a maximum of 3Gb I think.

4. tripletaker macrumors member

Yup, I use Dropbox as well.

There's also Microsoft's Windows Live Sync, Box.net, and SugarSync (not free).

5. billy920 macrumors newbie

I also Dropbox which has worked much better than MobileMe, it also makes it easier to access files whilst on a PC. If you use the following link then you (and I) will get an extra 250MB on top of the standard 2GB -

https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTExNDIyNTk

If you refer enough people who start using Dropbox then you can end up with 5GB total free storage (2GB standard + 3GB extra through referrals)

6. dimme thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks everyone.
    I am trying out dropbox but ran into one snag. I use quicken for the mac and for some reason it does not keep the quicken file in it's"wrapper" it turns it into a folder which is not readable on the other computer. Otherwise it looks good.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

I use JungleDisk along with Amazon S3. My first few GB cost me around $1.00 US. The pricing varies on how much you upload/download and Amazon has a pricing calculator to determine how much you'll pay.

I think I have only paid around $1.00 for the past two months as well. Of course, that's not truly free, but is dirt cheap.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Late to the party, but another for DropBox.

have you tried zipping the Excel file first?

9. dimme thread starter macrumors 65816

Excel files are fine it is the native quicken file that is giving me problems. I also want to try mirroring my documents file to the dropbox file( I know it is redundant). Can anyone recommend a good (free) folder sync program.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I've use Gmail and Yahoo's mail service in the past.

11. warning9 macrumors newbie

You might actually be able to use an automator action to sync folders...

12. warning9 macrumors newbie

13. k21975 macrumors newbie

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to chime in...

I use Dropbox for a catch all and it's been great. I have also started using SpiderOak. I wanted to have two separate Dropbox accounts on my computers, but Dropbox doesn't allow that. Installing SpiderOak alongside Dropbox allowed me to have two different syncing accounts. Now I use Dropbox for personal stuff and SpiderOak for work. SpiderOak is a bit different because it separates Backup from Sync and it allows you to choose which folders have which ability. And you can choose any folder, not just a single big folder like Dropbox. If you want to give either a try, here are my referral links. Dropbox gives each +250MB and SpiderOak gives +1GB.

SpiderOak +1GB
    https://spideroak.com/download/referral/e1dc6b9b5e4fac633ea5b9b237051a6b

Dropbox +250MB
    http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM2MTU1NzA5

Have Fun!

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Can you actually set up time machine to use dropbox?

15. miknos Suspended

miknos

I use iBackup with Dropbox. Both are free.

Select which folders (or files) you want to synchronize and send them to Dropbox. You can schedule backups (Mine does a weekly automatically).

Problem is Dropbox keeps a copy so you end up using double the space.

I use it for saving application settings (Yojimbo, GlimmerBlocker, Squirrel among others) and of course, Address Book, bookmarks, iCal, iTunes Library (just to keep my song's ratings), etc.