Online backup recommendations?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Benbikeman, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

For several years, I've used Carbonite as my final level of defence (Time Capsule is my primary backup, with photos also copied to external drives stored in a media fire-safe).

However, ever since Lion it has consumed around 100% of CPU, and Carbonite support finally admitted defeat today.

I'm looking for something which runs automatically 24/7 but can be paused if needed to preserve bandwidth when I'm travelling and on poor connections.

2. mwhities macrumors 6502a

I've been running the trail version of crashplan. I have it only backing up my Users directory but, it works well. I will test the restore part of it tomorrow after I get ML Server installed. Clean install.

You can pause it and everything. I have several friends that run macs and this is what they use.

3. Benbikeman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Thanks, I've also had recommendations on facebook for Crashplan. Will give the trial a go and report back.

4. Daniel2233 macrumors newbie

I've been using Bitback Cloud for Mac

There customer support is awesome, and the product works great.

They offer a free 200MB trial - if you want a bigger trial just email them and they'll set you up.

https://bitbackcloud.com/bitback-cloud-mac-backup-client

They have a 75% off coupon as well BBCloud75

Good luck!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been using Crashplan for just over a year and have been very pleased with it. Totally transparent.

6. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine